FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Chris Bonobo's polystyrene tiki poles
Chris Bonobo's polystyrene tiki poles
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 10:02 am   Permalink

Chris Bonobo is a fantastic french carver/painter... He makes tiki since a long time (I think i got one of his small pole 10 years ago or so), and he found a way to make really big but light tiki poles out of polystyrene.

I commissioned him for a marquesan style one for my tiki room. It's amazing how it looks real. I love it.

Have a look at his art and more polystyrene painted tikis on his myspace pictures :
www.myspace.com/chrisbonobo

Here it is on his garden, and in my room :

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 10:15 am   Permalink

awsome..nice style. and its portable..

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 10:56 am   Permalink

Nicolas,
Wow, that is way cool! How is he making these? Is he vacuum forming them? Does it have a back side?

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-02 10:56, BambooLodge wrote:
Nicolas,
Wow, that is way cool! How is he making these? Is he vacuum forming them? Does it have a back side?

I think he just use a chisel/big knive. He never makes 2 identicals, so it's not in a mold or anything. He says it's easy because it's not hard as wood, so you can carve it with a simple knife.
It has a back side yes, like a real wood one. I asked brown paints, but he usually paints with bright colors..., like those :

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:26 am   Permalink

So he starts with a big polystyrene block? Wow, incredible! They are all cool, but not to fond of those bright colors. Really like the Tiki Bob style one. Are they lightweight? Does he ship to the states?

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:45 am   Permalink

he makes different sizes, mine is 2,2 metres (86 inches) and weight less than 22 pounds. It's very large though.

I doubt it would be easy to ship to the US, even if it's light, because it's fragile, that's the problem.

And, yes, he buys big blocks of polystyrene. He started making those for a party, and loved working on it. It's great for tiki events, you can carry it easily, and it looks so nice...I love how he make those wood effects on it.

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:54 am   Permalink

oh, and here's some other stuff he makes that I love, buttons (cheap, hand painted, moulded) :

(You might remember that tiki on the left on my jacket last when I was in Chi-town)

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:02 pm   Permalink

He's really such a great tiki artist.
The pole you purchased is simply stunning. Amazing.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 08:36 am   Permalink

Cool! nice color and tikis.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation