FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cuban Rum?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Cuban Rum?
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-03 3:30 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine is going to Mexico and offered to bring me back a couple of bottles of Cuban Rum. Any suggestions on what to ask for?

Thanks, Mike

View Profile of iTiki Send a personal message to iTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 5:42 pm   Permalink

Your friend will probably only find Havana Club (in tourist areas anyway).

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Beachbum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-03 6:42 pm   Permalink

Havana Club is plenty good, even if that's all there is to be found. My brother and I used to drink it when he lived in Mexico.

View Profile of Suburban Beachbum Send a personal message to Suburban Beachbum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Connection
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-03 7:21 pm   Permalink

I swear by Havana Club Barrel Proof. It should be available at most good duty frees.

www.rumconnection.com
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Connection 2008-12-03 19:23 ]

View Profile of Rum Connection Send a personal message to Rum Connection  Goto the website of Rum Connection     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-04 10:24 am   Permalink

Havana Club makes at least a dozen products.

They vary wildly.

I see the 7-year in duty free shops all over the world.
Good stuff, worth picking up.

But...
If you friend can find the Anejo Reserva, is is a truly sublime rum, and is also SOMETIMES found in duty free shops.

I will have a lot more to say about Cuban rums very soon....

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-04 5:50 pm   Permalink

Never had any trouble finding the Anejo Reserva in Mexico around Cancun.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-04 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips. I will give him a list and see what he comes back with. He goes on a regular basis, so let's see what he finds.

Thanks, Mike

View Profile of iTiki Send a personal message to iTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-04 5:57 pm   Permalink

I've tried several of them.
The 7 year is, by far, my favorite.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 12:28 am   Permalink

If you are into lighter rums I recommend HC Anejo Especial, which is an aromatic golden-amber blend. I am by no means an expert, but from my limited selection this is my favourite and the basis of a real, killer Cuba Libra.

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 1:07 pm   Permalink

It really doesn't matter which Havana Club you get, they're all excellent rums.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 2:25 pm   Permalink

you can find bottles on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAVANA-CLUB-RUM-OLD-LABEL-BOTTLE-COLLECTIBLE-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ400009156109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item400009156109&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-18 7:07 pm   Permalink

Okay. This is what he brought back. A bottle of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserve ( not Cuban, but still nice) and a bottle of Havana Club Cuban Barrel Proof. I'm happy with his selections. He goes down on a regular basis (corporate pilot) and has offered to get more on his next trip. This should work out well and help me build a nice selection of harder to find premium rums for my home bar. Any suggestions of other brands I should ask for?

Thanks, Mike

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 10:31 pm   Permalink

The Barrel Proof is about as good as you're going to do.

Tried about a dozen Cuban rums in the past week, and there are some good ones, but the Barrel Proof is a notch or two above the rest (unless you can afford $150 for the Havana Club 15-year, or $1700 for the Havana Club Maximo!).

Veradero 7-year is not bad, and is cheaper than Havana Club 7-year. I spoke with someone at the Havana Club tour, and I confirmed that the Anejo Reserva is a 6-year. But I still like it better than their 7-year old, and it is generally half the price. The Gran Reserva is noticeably inferior; good for mixing only.

My very recent experience (um, I was in Havana *yesterday*!) is that HC rums are EVERYWHERE and all other brands are relatively scarce. Saw very few non-HC brands in Mexican duty free shops (or other shops), but a half-dozen or so non-HC brands in Havana airport duty-free.

Best rum selection at retail that I saw in all of Havana was, oddly, in the gift shop of a nightclub called Dos Gardenias in the Miramar area.

Bottom line is that if you want to have your freind keep muling in Cuban rums for you, get a few bottles each of Anejo Reserva, 7-year, and Barrel Proof, and you'll be well stocked.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-19 08:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-18 22:31, tikibars wrote:
The Barrel Proof is about as good as you're going to do.

Tried about a dozen Cuban rums in the past week, and there are some good ones, but the Barrel Proof is a notch or two above the rest (unless you can afford $150 for the Havana Club 15-year, or $1700 for the Havana Club Maximo!).

Veradero 7-year is not bad, and is cheaper than Havana Club 7-year. I spoke with someone at the Havana Club tour, and I confirmed that the Anejo Reserva is a 6-year. But I still like it better than their 7-year old, and it is generally half the price. The Gran Reserva is noticeably inferior; good for mixing only.

My very recent experience (um, I was in Havana *yesterday*!) is that HC rums are EVERYWHERE and all other brands are relatively scarce. Saw very few non-HC brands in Mexican duty free shops (or other shops), but a half-dozen or so non-HC brands in Havana airport duty-free.

Best rum selection at retail that I saw in all of Havana was, oddly, in the gift shop of a nightclub called Dos Gardenias in the Miramar area.

Bottom line is that if you want to have your freind keep muling in Cuban rums for you, get a few bottles each of Anejo Reserva, 7-year, and Barrel Proof, and you'll be well stocked.

Thanks. I will pass your suggestions on to him for his next trip.

Mike

rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 8:03 pm   Permalink

I think I have a higher opinion of the Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva than tikibars... but putting that aside... it is easy to find in the United States so definitely have your friend skip over it on the next trip.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation