FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 07:29 am   Permalink

I decided to follow the advice of others from my painting thread and pull my carvings out and put them into their own thread. Currently I don't have the space, tools, or time to really get into carving, but I hope to very soon. In the meanwhile, here is my first attempt at relief carving.

This was a teak(?) serving platter I found at the local thrift store. It's 6"x13", and I managed to hack at it with some crappy "wood carving tools" from Michael's art store. It seemed like I had to spend 5mins of sharpening for every 3mins of carving. The nose didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I introduce to you the W.C. Fields Moai.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2011-02-05 12:24 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 07:31 am   Permalink

Last Sunday I was visiting Kirby's Rumpus Room and spied a torch there. I took my first ever carving and torched it up upon Kirby's suggestion. Here's my interpretation of Ku, 24" tall out of Douglas Fir. All straight chisel.

The grain pattern gives this one a slight Marty Feldman character I think.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 07:36 am   Permalink

Cool! I don't remember seeing your painting thread, but your carvings are already pretty damn nice! I like the tray too. I don't think I would have noticed the nose if you hadn't pointed it out. Just thought it was part of the plan.

Do you plan to do any more finish on the Ku?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 07:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments TheBigT. I've received a few ideas on how to add some details to the Ku and slim down the base he is sitting on but as far as a surface finish I kind of like the burnt, unsealed look it has now. This will be an indoor tiki, and burnt wood smells better than sealed wood to me.

Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 09:55 am   Permalink

Frikin awesome dude! When are you going to start selling stuff? You should set up a table at the tonga hut on saturday.

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 1:52 pm   Permalink

Wooooooooooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Good to see you here Mango!
Dig the platter.

Tyler

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 02:36 am   Permalink

This lono is killer work. I love the finish.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 7:22 pm   Permalink

I guess I need to change the name of the above from Ku to Lono, the more I look at it, the more it is a Lono. Oh well. Here is a small 4-incher out of bass wood, done a couple of months ago. This could be considered my first carving.

I really need to invest in a hook knife. As for the finish on this, it was acrylic paint that I diluted with water to make a wash.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-05 07:29, TikiMango wrote:

The nose didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I introduce to you the W.C. Fields Moai.

Yo TikiMango! Looks like you left enough wood so that you can still fix that nose a little bit if you want to.

I'd try removing the stuff in the red dot area and moving the green line area down to where I drew it in black. Moving the eye lines down to where the black lines are will help that area a little too by making the nose look a little shorter.

Nice work, keep it up.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 3:07 pm   Permalink

Buzzy! Mahalo for the advice, but I think it's better to let sleeping menehune lay. I'll probably attempt another platter and will pay closer attention to proportions to get it closer to the image you have marked-up. If I tweak this one, there's no telling what the outcome will be.

Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 07:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-08 19:22, TikiMango wrote:

Great design on this guy! Wikkid!!

And carving bas relief like your Moai is no walk in the park. Try a profile or 3 quarter view sometime instead of a full frontal. I get ideas for bas relief technique from studying coins.

Keep up the good work, Ray!

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-30 09:26 am   Permalink

Very cool looking design on the 4" tiki!
I love his huge underbite. One of the coolest looking originals I've seen in some time.
Keep up the good work!

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 10:41 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys! Here's another 4-incher, the last scraps of bass wood I have. Did this all with a 1/2" straight chisel and some sand paper. Stained it with some acrylic paint.

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 11:35 am   Permalink

cool mango.. very psychedelic back drop..happy new year..kirby

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 12:38 pm   Permalink

cool shit man!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation