FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
TikiMango's Carvings- P31, Bone Hawaiian Tapa Hook
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 09:06 am   Permalink

nice work ray.......cool design too......always nice to see an update from you. glad your back

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coconuttzo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 2:45 pm   Permalink

I see nothing wrong with the piece. It looks perfect the way it is. Well done brah! BTW, how'd you seperate the 2 tones? I've heard of using elmers glue on what you don't want stained then wash it off after staining but have never tried it. I wonder if smoking/smoke staining the piece would've acheived the look you were going for. Does anybody know how to smoke stain bone here on TC?

View Profile of coconuttzo Send a personal message to coconuttzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 2:47 pm   Permalink

I've try tape and nothing to cover the non-stained area. The stain seems to seep under the tape. I was thinking nail polish, as Elmer's might come off during the staining process.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 7:23 pm   Permalink

Looks Nice Mango, Nice try on the stain and like Coconutzo says its acceptable.
It's an Excellent looking Hook too!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 05:44 am   Permalink

Thank you all for the great comments.

This next piece was inspired by my middle school art teacher, Anne Funk. For a final grade she tied a drape into a knot and had me draw it. Simple graphite pencil and paper, it was a good challenge. The exercise has stuck with me for all these years, and it taught me a lot. I was hoping that I could apply the same lessons to bone.

So here's that piece...

it sort of folds over on itself like one of the twists I have done before...

I even played around on the backside...

and it looked pretty good in the right light.

What this little challenge taught me is that I need many more burrs in my arsenal, and sanding something like this can be a real pain!

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-05 08:05 am   Permalink

How cool would it be if that teacher saw this!?!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-06 03:24 am   Permalink

Yes, I agree, you should send it to your teacher. This is really Excellent Mango, very inspired. I Love that last little flip around the back,, very sensual and free.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-19 10:11 am   Permalink

More!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 12:23 pm   Permalink

4WDtiki and Benzart, thanks for the comments. I tried tracking my teacher down, but no luck. The school wouldn't give me her info, but I left mine.

Played my first soccer match in over 25yrs (county league, 18 & up) yesterday, my legs are reminding me I'm not 16 anymore! We lost 8-0, but we were wearing them down... another 60mins and I swear we would've scored a goal. I'm hoping next week ends in a 7-0 score, baby steps on improvement. So being as sore as I am today, I was trapped in the "studio" for a commission piece.

The customer wanted a hook similar to another I had previously done, but wanted a tapa pattern on it.

I think the tapa pattern lends itself well to engraving like this. I was tempted to try a stain, but I'll save that experiment for another day. Now I just need to figure out how to clean the polishing compound out of the nooks and crannies. My nylon brush wheel isn't doing the job, might have to switch over to needles or something.

Thanks for looking!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 1:34 pm   Permalink

That's a real sweet piece, Mang! It's bold, and kinda bellbottomy, and the tapa works great on it!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 2:03 pm   Permalink

Very nice work, Mango!!

The knot is one of your best so far that I've seen - pretty amazing

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 7:51 pm   Permalink

Love that Slipping Not, Man I think I might try one meself!

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 9:21 pm   Permalink

Very nice Hook Ray! Glad you back with your bone skills... More please!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 10:35 am   Permalink

Wow! That pattern, it's perfect looking! I'd like to see the bit you use.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 11:23 am   Permalink

Thanks all for the comments! I was a little worried about that tapa pattern, but it turned out alright.

SurfinTiki, the bit I used can be seen in this photo:

It would be a combination of the medium and super tiny inverted cones on the left. I need new burrs... they are much more rustier now.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation