FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Official Announcement - Hukilau 2009 June 11 - 14!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Official Announcement - Hukilau 2009 June 11 - 14!!
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 11:18 am   Permalink

Hukilau is mentioned in today's Florida Today:

June 18, 2009

Tiki geeks gather for fun, rum

CHRIS KRIDLER
SPACE COASTING

Tiki geeks take their whimsy seriously. And their rum.

This especially is true at The Hukilau, the convention/four-day party in Fort Lauderdale last weekend, aimed at fans of the mid-century Polynesian pop craze. If you ever stop by -- this was our second year -- you might not want to admit that you're fond of Jimmy Buffet, for instance. The purists will eat your heart on a pupu platter.

But if you're there to enjoy the exotica (Martin Denny-style), Hawaiian and surf music (the awesome Los Straitjackets played to a packed pool patio Saturday), you'll be in good company.

It also helps if you enjoy rum. I've gained new respect for it after learning about the varieties craved by connoisseurs, and after getting a gander at some of the old-time drink menus at places such as Fort Lauderdale's historic Mai Kai restaurant. The Mai Kai still has the Polynesian floor show, complete with fire dancers, along with fantastic retro-primitive atmosphere, funky lights, wood carvings and a lovely tropical garden. And the drinks, though pricey, are dark and complicated rums blended with tropical fruit juices, cinnamon sticks, fresh mint and the like.

The Mai Kai is where Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, who has made a career out of expounding on the lore of tiki cocktails (with books and even an iPhone app), presented his "Mai Tai Paternity Test." It was a fascinating exploration in which he used circumstantial evidence, old menus and witness accounts to determine who invented this ultra-popular drink of the pre- and postwar tiki craze. The answer is as complicated as the story; feuding California restaurateurs Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic had a part in its origins, it appears, with Vic's recipe most identified with the famous elixir.

To enhance the experience, large trays of cocktails were bustled out of the Mai Kai's relentlessly squeaky kitchen door, and we were given a couple samples to compare. That's my idea of a seminar.

If you were lucky enough to have a ticket, there also was a tiki party boat cruise. It was on a double-decker boat dressed up in tiki style, with thatched roofs, tiki bars (of course), bamboo trimmings and sand on the top deck.

The boat's drinks had Mai Kai prices but not Mai Kai quality, so they tended to curb one's enthusiasm. It didn't matter. There was enough entertainment in gawking at the mansions along the canals, where the massive private boats could easily form a lazy navy.

Perhaps the best celebration of tiki -- which melds art, music, cheesiness, partying and escapism -- was during the tiki room crawl the first night. A handful of hosts decorated their hotel rooms in elaborate tiki style, with primitive-print fabrics, props and mood lighting, and served evocative retro cocktails. Drinks in one room even had swizzle sticks customized to your "tiki horoscope." Fanciful, yes, but since the whole tiki culture is pretty much made up, I don't mind if the horoscope is, too.

The made-up part is the beauty of it. To me, tiki living is about creating your own tropical paradise. It's sweet to live in a place where doing so is more than possible.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
conchchowder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-18 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-17 13:53, TikiMango wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-06-17 11:20, conchchowder wrote:

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how the pool got back to the pool!

ConchChowder, that Pool O' Rum was amazing! Thanks for that and all that followed in its wake.

Sure! It was my pleasure.

View Profile of conchchowder Send a personal message to conchchowder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[/quote]

NASA's crack team of astro-chimps retrieved your vessel... consumed the rum... and returned it to the Bahia Cabana pool about 0730 on Saturday...
photos of this mission are completely classified... and have been destroyed to protect national security... or homeland security... or something like that... so don't even ask

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 2:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Perhaps the best celebration of tiki -- which melds art, music, cheesiness, partying and escapism -- was during the tiki room crawl the first night. A handful of hosts decorated their hotel rooms in elaborate tiki style, with primitive-print fabrics, props and mood lighting, and served evocative retro cocktails. Drinks in one room even had swizzle sticks customized to your "tiki horoscope." Fanciful, yes, but since the whole tiki culture is pretty much made up, I don't mind if the horoscope is, too.

Great to see that the Oasis tradition of the Room Crawl made a great splash at Hukilau!!!
The drinks were awesome, along with the hospitality, of course!

& 1 room crawl room was even collecting their tips for charity

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
conchchowder
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-18 5:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-18 14:19, Tikigoob wrote:
Quote:

NASA's crack team of astro-chimps retrieved your vessel... consumed the rum... and returned it to the Bahia Cabana pool about 0730 on Saturday...
photos of this mission are completely classified... and have been destroyed to protect national security... or homeland security... or something like that... so don't even ask

Culo Blanco saves the day!

[/quote]

View Profile of conchchowder Send a personal message to conchchowder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMitch

Posted: 2009-06-18 6:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-16 19:03, conchchowder wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-06-16 18:07, MaiTaiMitch wrote:
I was kind of expecting the stage area to be crowded during Los Straightjackets, there wasn't a whole lot of room up by the stage. During the Haole Kats set, I thought there was just the right amount of people. Heck, even Beachcomber Ted got a little swing dance in with a random girl or two and I had a nice slow dance with the lovely Lady Poi.

MITCH!!!

Were the bubbles too much or did you dig them?

I thought the bubbles were alright. They were fun.

MITCH!!!

View Profile of MaiTaiMitch Send a personal message to MaiTaiMitch  Goto the website of MaiTaiMitch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 5:23 pm   Permalink

Still recovering (and unpacking) from the weekend... was it terrific or what? We were complaining about the heat then but it would sure be good about now! Getting all the pics up soon, but in the meantime, here's a few...

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-19 11:09 pm   Permalink

Great show everyone! Especially Christi and Amy - you guys ROCK!

Next time? Avoid June if possible! It was damned hot down there (for me anyways).

I took some pictures and put 'em
on flickr here.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 06:09 am   Permalink

Great photos Mike and Marie! Wish you were here for the Coney Island Mermaid Day Parade!

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TornadoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-20 11:52 am   Permalink

At long last ... we've posted our snaps and our Hukilau 2009 video! Check them out:
http://tornadotiki.com/gallery/2009/hukilau2009/

Thanks for the great time!

~ TornadoTiki

View Profile of TornadoTiki Send a personal message to TornadoTiki  Goto the website of TornadoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

WOW, Tornado Tiki - that video is amazing!!! Feel like I was there (without the sweating, hangover, and strange smell coming from my travel bag). Thanks for making it available.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-20 11:52, TornadoTiki wrote:

At long last ... we've posted our snaps and our Hukilau 2009 video! Check them out:
http://tornadotiki.com/gallery/2009/hukilau2009/

Thanks for the great time!

~ TornadoTiki

Kewl! You caught me carrying the mermaid! I was huffin and puffin. I'm a scientist. I don't carry things much. But I look pretty happy!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JupiterWahine

Posted: 2009-06-21 12:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

Anyway, I had a great time. The sound system was way more than I expected - well-ran and clean.

/dale

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Strangerum 2009-06-16 16:50 ]

I too was really impressed with the sound! My boyfriend and I tried to battle the crowd around the stage, we were really looking forward to LS. When decided enough was enough, we found a vacant lounge chair by the pool and sat back to enjoy the tunes. Sure, our view of the band wasn't that great, but they're music is so great, we didn't need the view to have a great experience. All in all, fabulous!

View Profile of JupiterWahine Send a personal message to JupiterWahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 09:34 am   Permalink

Niice video work - and agreed decent sound. I hope you had some fun too instead of shooting the whole time! I know its tough focus with a drink in your hand! (at least for me)

Anyway nice work, good angles and good cutaways and sound mix! Maybe next tiki event we can team and get some extra angles going!

Jack
www.idolmakerfilms.com

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-21 09:50 am   Permalink

wooooowwie, nice vid tornadotiki. mahalo for the posting of it.

[ This Message was edited by: talo ka 2009-06-21 09:50 ]

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation