FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis Christmas Album: Luau In December

You are viewing a single post from the search result.
view the entire topic
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis Christmas Album: Luau In December
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 08:44 am   Permalink

The King's new CD is a real cornucopia of styles... a Hawaiian Christmas revue, if you will. Besides the beachboy numbers and the stripped down exotica/comedy numbers that we come to expect from King Kukulele, there are songs on the disc that stretch beyond his tried and true style.

I'm thinking about the "Play that Ukulele" song, which is a really great '60s bubblegum/go-go number, the showtune-esque "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," plus one song that sounds like a Sufjan Stevens or Eels Christmas number... very indie-folk... and even one that is solid spaghetti-western, with surf guitar. I've only listened to it once in the day I've had the disc, but it's a great one to have. There are also plenty of insider lyrics that express the tiki-scene zeigiest, much like Shag's paintings do. Hail to the King!

Sorry about all of the previous typos in this post... I had to jump back on and edit what I wrote.

[ This Message was edited by: BC-Da-Da 2008-12-19 16:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BC-Da-Da 2008-12-19 16:35 ]

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation