FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 07:31 am   Permalink

I am new member to the site although I have been viewing it for awhile. I recently caught the bug on a trip to Disney with my family. I always love the Polynesian and when I retuned I thought I would bring a little of it to my backyard. (Sorry we couldn’t afford Hawaii so I hope I don’t offend any purists) I had no idea where to start. I found a few pictures on line and thought I would use them as a model for mine. I make a lot of cabinetry, furniture etc. I thought that this project would fit right in with my other hobbies and my power tools would make it a snap. Boy was I wrong. I ended up putting the power tools away and have been using a hammer and chisel since. The first tiki was done, in oak, and I had a heck of time. The one you see here was actually recarved from an earlier version done with power tools. The second was an Easter Island head in Maple. The next two I am unsure of what they are made from. They were great therapy as I am a Philadelphia sports fan and I would work on them as I was watching the Phillies hoping they wouldn’t collapse! The last one is more of break from what I have seen online. I used a picture as some inspiration. I sorry I can’t recall the artist. I hope to add arms that extend from the guy with the turtle so that he will hold towels. I am carving the arms and I will eventually attach them. Although I am a little unsure of how I will do this. I know some of you take the carving very seriously so I hope that my work doesn’t offend anyone. Any advice would be appreciated

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2008-12-14 07:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2008-12-14 07:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2009-05-23 11:12 ]

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 08:12 am   Permalink

Aloha Grand Poohba,
And welcome to the forum. First I would like to compliment you on your carves, you are doing great.
And don't worry about the purists jumpin on your neck. Ones own style and a bit of originality is more appreciated by most people here. Not to mention that most critics are non carvers and to me it always seems kind of lame if people who have no idea about making something are telling others how to do it.
The masters around here (I'm not one of them for a long time but I will get there) will most likely encourage you and give helpful advice about tools and technique as well as answer any question. But use the search function before posting questions already answered.
So keep posting your work and have lots of fun carving.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 1:24 pm   Permalink

Hey Poob, very nice set of carves, especially when you're using hardwoods like Oak and maple! I like the pointed teeth look, my first large log was toothy like yours

but it was out of Mexican fan palm which is much softer and made it easier to carve.

I usually carve much smaller stuff and have used Oak before but its so damned hard I end up with hand cramps afterwards and cuss at the hardwoods! Be sure to post pics after you get your finish on them, should look sharp!

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 1:55 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Why are you a little green? Did you eat something bad? Some poi that was past its expiration date maybe?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-14 3:18 pm   Permalink

Maybe he's been sent here to study us. Is there a link between Tiki and ....."them"? I have always wondered.

Welcome to our planet! please don't eat us. (Those sharp teeth kinda scare me. um.... seriously)

Your carving certainly not green.... nice work !! (except 4 the teeth of course)

[ This Message was edited by: Bohemiann 2008-12-14 15:22 ]

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 4:52 pm   Permalink

Nice work! you are doing some great pieces from the
go get. Looks like your hooked.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 8:54 pm   Permalink

nice work! keep it up. i started with pecan and tried hickory, then i had to have my chisels sharpened, then i found basswood and won't (well i lie) use hardwoods again. good luck with the arms

big daddy

"good artists borrow ideas, great artists steal them"

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-12-14 11:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-14 08:12, Grapa-RuHa wrote:...most critics are non carvers and to me it always seems kind of lame if people who have no idea about making something are telling others how to do it.

Grapa-RuHa, please clarify. Are you saying that people that don't know how to carve Tikis don't know what kind of Tikis they like?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 12:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-14 23:28, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-12-14 08:12, Grapa-RuHa wrote:...most critics are non carvers and to me it always seems kind of lame if people who have no idea about making something are telling others how to do it.

Grapa-RuHa, please clarify. Are you saying that people that don't know how to carve Tikis don't know what kind of Tikis they like?

No that's not what i'm saying. Everyone has his/her own taste, what i tried to say is that non carvers should not tell someone who is carving 'HOW' they should carve their stuff. So an objective comment about what you like or dislike should never be a problem as long as it's constructive and about what you know.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-12-15 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-15 00:27, Grapa-RuHa wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-12-14 23:28, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

No that's not what i'm saying. Everyone has his/her own taste, what i tried to say is that non carvers should not tell someone who is carving 'HOW' they should carve their stuff. So an objective comment about what you like or dislike should never be a problem as long as it's constructive and about what you know.

Oh, good. Thanks for explaining.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 08:12 am   Permalink

Thanks Seeksurf, Grapa RuHa and Bohemian, for the nice comments. I see some other stuff on here with so much detail. It can be inspiring and demoralizing at the same time!

Also thanks for the encouragement T Bird and Big Daddy. The oak is a real pain. I have to take what I can get find. I also found a nice case of poison oak!! I am getting a real education here. It is nice to know that there is a site like this. I am also happy to see that there are so many people who share the same likes. I thought maybe I was a little nuts. Maybe I still am but will enjoy the company! I hope to work some more on these guys over the holidays. Any suggestion on stain or urethane? I have used water based polyurethanes, and oil based urethanes as finish on furniture. I was thinking that a spar urethane, used on exterior doors, might be best. I also use gel stains as they are nice to wipe on wood and work into the grain instead of using brushes. Will this work for these types of projects? Are there better alternatives? One of my fears is ruining something that took so long to make in a matter of minutes because of poor finishing choices.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 08:33 am   Permalink

Hey good stuff there! Yep, looks like you have a bit of finishing work to do.

As far as stains, you sound very experienced already with stains and finishes and so forth. I bet that part will come pretty easy for you. One thing I would say is make sure not to use any stains with sealers until you have the color you like. I learned that one the hard way.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 09:14 am   Permalink

hey grand poobah

whose to say you're not the sane one and the rest of the world is a little nuts? that's the way i look at the world. keep on chipping and cutting.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 10:03 am   Permalink

Good point big daddy,

do crazy people sit around and realize they are actually crazy?

drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 10:04 am   Permalink

G.P.
For just starting out, you do NICE work. Nice shop too. Alot of good carvers here who are generous with their experience & advice..ie Seeksurf, Tucson Tiki just to name two. Disneyland is a great place to get the bug.
Ciao

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation