FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 5:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for looking. I thought I would give it another go. I had seen a thread where some master carvers had given some advice when carving. One person mentioned to attempt what you thought might be impossible (sorry if I misquote). I thought the advice was fantastic. I saw a picture of a tiki. I knew it would be difficult but I really wanted to challenge myself. I began to carve it and was well along. I am sure that many of you will recognize it is by Crazy Al. I then saw a thread where Al had mentioned that people had begun to copy his work and sell it. I felt really bad, and didn’t know if I should share it. I work with an art teacher who had told me that an artist will mimic the work of someone they admire and begin to adapt features that they like into their own designs. I hope that Al Evans or any other experienced carvers will excuse my lack of creativity in the design. I intend to only place in my backyard and create my own summer paradise. I thought I might change the design a bit so that it would at least attempt to infuse something different. The attempt was the use of scales. I had seen another carver use them in his work and I thought that they were amazing. I had drawn the scales on and began to rethink my ambitions. I remembered the advice and forged ahead. He is made out of pine. There are some rough parts that wished were smoother but I feel that I am learning a lot as I go. It has taken almost three months of my time. I have had to find time here and there between work, running my kids everywhere and remodeling a bathroom. It has been a great escape. Any advice, including designing, would be appreciated and again I hope that I have crossed any lines.

now on to the stain

I intend to darken up that shark and highlight the waves on the crest of the head.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 7:06 pm   Permalink

Wow mate, you're doing some really good work for someone just getting into it!

That latest tiki is great. The C'Al influence is obvious, but there's definitely some other style coming into it as well. I agree, take inspiration from other artists and experiment with different styles and techniques, but all the time also work on adding your own style, ideas and flourishes into your work. Generally if you acknowledge your influences and treat the original artists with respect (like you have done with this piece), and add in your own style you're sweet

Moooooooooore tikis!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-15 10:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! talk about major improvement in a short amount of time! Don't get me wrong - your early works are very strong and I can definitely see the tiki vibe in them. HOWEVER, this new one is fantastic! By challenging yourself, you found out that you probably could have carved one like this all along! I'm curious to see the next one that "challenge" yourself with!

Like Hewey said (and like you so eloquently wrote), when you are starting out you are going to take direct inspiration from other artists work. You gave credit where credit was due and you're not selling it. That was the right thing to do. The more you carve, the more your own style begins to emerge. Just keep at it, carve some more and before you know it, we'll be talking about your own style!

I have to say that the fish scales turned out REALLY well and looks great with the waves and the shark it totally cool too. This is a nice lookin' tiki! you should be proud!
as far as design is concerned, I think overall he turned out well. Making sure everything is even and in line with all the other body parts is the hardest part of carving (IMHO), and you pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would have done (and maybe it's the angle of the pictures) was to have carved the right hand a little more away from the leg. It kind of blends in with the leg and is hard to see, and isn't as deep a carving as the rest of the tiki. But that's minor, the overall tiki looks really good!!!!

How tall is he?
Have you started another one yet? (it looks to me like you caught the carving bug!!!)

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2009-03-15 22:17 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 08:58 am   Permalink

Thanks for the replies and advice. I must admit I was pretty bummed when I saw that post and thought maybe I shouldn't share my efforts. I appreciate the feedback. He is about 4 feet tall. I am planning on buidling a pondless waterfall in my backyard. I also plan to add a couple of tropical plants to my backyard. There is a nursery down the road that sells yucca trees. They are hardy enough to survive the harsh winters up here. I am also hearing rumors that Lowes will begin to sell some sort of cold hardy windmill or needle palms as well as banana plants. Anyone else know of this? I plan on putting him and the others in the yard. I think I might add some bodies to the headless guys. The oak tiki was my first and I not as thrilled with him, especially the torso. I thought my wife my think I am crazy but she hasn't said anything negative and she mentions that she has seen tiki items elsewhere. So I think she be digging it. I also carved the back of this guy. I had some staining issues that I have fix before I post his fanny.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 12:41 pm   Permalink

Gotta say again, you're work is GOOD. Lots of detail that takes alot of work & patience. You're there!

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 4:43 pm   Permalink

Nice Job , I LOVE CROOCKED TREES.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 8:37 pm   Permalink

Great carve I'm glad you got exited and carved this sucker.
We all take from the past.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 8:41 pm   Permalink

Man I wish My first tikis were that "Green" Awesome job, I think you've done this before. COOL!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 06:30 am   Permalink

Thanks for all of the kinds words. They actually pushed me to go a little further. I work with gel stain quite a bit with cabinetry. I assumed that it would also work well here. Well you know what they say about assumptions! The stain gelled in the scales and made them look worse. I decided to go back and sand the whole thing back down. I also took the advice Polynesiac and carved the hand area a little deeper. (Thanks for that) The stain appears darker than it does in the picture. Going back and re-sanding, and re-carving the scales made it look a lot smoother. A couple of coats of spar urethane and he will be done!

The pine has been a real pain as there is a lot of tearout when I have to carve deep into it. I read an earlier post about carving with the grain, which I get, but is that possible when the cut calls for going deep against the grain? Any suggestions? I have since gotten a sharpener so I am hopeful that sharper chisels would help solve some of the problem. I wish I knew what wood the heads I had carved earlier were made of (The guys with the sharp teeth). That wood was soft and easier to carve. Unfortunately I have to grab what I can find.

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2009-03-29 06:32 ]

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-29 08:43 am   Permalink

your tiki looks GREAT! You are your toughest critic (this will come in handy, because you will keep challenging yourself as an artist), but from my POV I think it looks really nice. I didn't think you'd go back and re carve the hand (because it looked fine before), but I'm glad that you did - it really made the whole piece come together. Something about symmetry that just makes the whole piece POP!
The multi colored stain looks real nice too - I like the darkened waves.

As far as carving pine, I have not carved any fresh pine (I have carved 4x4's) and I do carve redwood 4x4's too, the one thing I learned about redwood is that your chisels have to be sharp, if they are not sharp enough, then the wood "crumbles" when you carve. I saw that with the pine 4x4 too. The other thing I noticed is that if you are going against the grain, go slow with sharp chisels and don't provide more pressure than is needed. Don't just bang away on it, be gentle. Going against the grain is tough (in carving, in life it seems pretty easy most times ) but it can be done. Still, move the piece around a little and see if there is a way to go with the grain, it is much easier.

Good luck! and nice job!

Keep carvin!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 1:37 pm   Permalink

Nice carve, beautiful finishing! even if this wood are not the best for make that, you're well done...

Quote:

Going against the grain is tough (in carving, in life it seems pretty easy most times

Takes a long time to sharpen your tools, then going against the grain becomes fun....

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 5:51 pm   Permalink

I got around to sanding, cleaning up, and staining this guy. I spent most of the day in search of a new hook and loop pad for my ridgid sander and sandpaper for porter cable profile sander. The sandpaper comes in a 2 1/2 rolls with adhesive on the back. I actually don't use the sander, but the profiles have been great for the small details. Unfortunately the sandpaper is suddenly impossible to find. The good news is my wife suggested I work on the carving while she took the kids shopping for shoes! This is unprecedented. I think she really likes them! She mentioned buying some summer palms to place around them in the yard. I plan on finishing up his brother (the other head with the pointy teeth) as I get a few minutes here and there during the work week.

the stain came out a little darker than I wanted. I hope this guy breathes a little deeply and soaks some in.

big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 8:29 pm   Permalink

great job on the guy outside of your garage. the details on the headdress is outstanding. damn good carving! keep it up>

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 03:35 am   Permalink

thanks big daddy. I like him too. In fact I concentrated on him so much that I neglected all of the ones I did earlier. I thought it might be time to finish what I had started. I am also tripping over all these tikis I haven't finished so it is time to clear out the garage. I have a new one in my head that I want carve to but I am fighting the urge to start until I get these guys done

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 07:20 am   Permalink

Looks like there are a lot of masterpieces here!

I love the first one.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation