FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Grand Poobah's Oasis Update
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 6:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks seeksurf. As always Ben you have nice things to say. Maple may sure be a great carving wood but I have found it to be the most challenging. Here are some recent pics.

I have been sanding the heck out of him lately, and again, and again. The grain is beginning to come out. I only get a 1/2 hour here or there these days.

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2011-02-23 18:53 ]

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 10:49 pm   Permalink

Right On! I'm jealous you have something to sand on. I need to find
me a piece of wood.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 04:12 am   Permalink

uuugh...the sanding. it never ends doesnt it.....i understand just having a little here and there when it comes to time. good job poobah.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-03 2:53 pm   Permalink

It has been awhile. The weather seems to be turning a corner up here and I was looking forward to getting outside this weekend. I got whacked with some kind of bug. I was hoping to finish off staining my recent carve but it was not to be. Here are some pics since my last post.

trying to do scales again

I thought I might burn the skirt to bring out the grain.

Thanks for looking

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-03 4:16 pm   Permalink

G.P. Mine if I ask how you got that coral look on this carving.Thanks mud.

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-03 9:01 pm   Permalink

Great work and details Grand Poobah!
Especially on the different textured area, very well done! Very expressive!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 6:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks laoja how are things in France?

Mudbone, I used a dremel with a small rounded bit. I then plunge the bit into the wood. It takes forever, but I found it does two things 1) adds a different texture (other than wood grain or color of stain) 2) hides some difficult areas to sand!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 6:39 pm   Permalink

Wow, lots of coolness going on here! I love that texture, too, and that Marq face on top, and those hands, they're freaky-real!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 8:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-04 18:04, Grand Poobah wrote:

how are things in France?

sunny days are back ... then again it's the mess in the workshop...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 2:51 pm   Permalink

I finally had the chance to post a few pictures. The latest one is done (actually been done about a month. I finally put him outside with his brother. Here are a few pics.

Here he is with one I made last summer. I have added a torch to this guys hand also. I just debarked an ash on Sunday. So hopefully I will be able to start a new one soon. Thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2011-05-24 14:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Grand Poobah 2011-05-24 14:53 ]

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 3:51 pm   Permalink

Fantastic poobah! Been following the progress and the results are superb. They really look good together. I have heard of the word "sanding", but have not yet tried it.

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2011-06-01 19:24 ]

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 5:36 pm   Permalink

damn bro....

those are NICE pieces... what are you using for the micro-detailing????

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 6:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks Cy. 3m sandpaper co. sends me christmas cards!

5101 "those are NICE pieces... what are you using for the micro-detailing????"
First of all thank you.I use a dremel with a rounded bit and plunge into the wood to create the dimpled effect. It is tedious, mindless work which is well suited to me!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 09:57 am   Permalink

Gorgeous works, man. Your attention to detail is amazing. Love the lifelike hands too.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 3:25 pm   Permalink

How fine a grit do you sand these down to?

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation