Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Coral Reef - Sacramento CA
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Coral Reef - Sacramento CA
Tangaroa Ru

Posted: 2008-12-16 4:54 pm   Permalink

Hey Everyone. I've been lurking for quite awhile now, and finally decided to join.

I grew up in Sacramento California, and have very fond memories of the Coral Reef restaurant. It would always be a big deal when we went to the Coral Reef, and we had a number of large family events here. Sadly, the Coral Reef is long gone.... I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of it. I remember the outside having a cool tiki out front.

Also, after closing, the Sacramento Bee posted the recipe for their Mai Tai's, which were pretty famous in Sacramento. Does anyone happen to have this recipe? Pretty much any info would be great, I can't seem to find anything online and want to take a trip down memory lane. Thanks!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa Ru 2008-12-16 16:58 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa Ru  Goto the website of Tangaroa Ru     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 5:17 pm   Permalink

All I got.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 10:15 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard there Tangaroa Ru,

I have a postcard with a nice interior shot of the Coral Reef which is pretty common, you should be able to find one on ebay etc. There is also a napkin and another matchbook floating around out there. Nothing on the Mai Tai recipe however. Keep up the search and post when you find it.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa Ru

Posted: 2008-12-16 11:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the pics everyone! I'm going to be visiting the fam for the holidays, I'll ask my folks if they have the Mai Tai recipe as well. Hope so!!

View Profile of Tangaroa Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa Ru  Goto the website of Tangaroa Ru     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-12-16 11:36 pm   Permalink

Okay, now this is going to get just too confusing.

There's already thee Tangaroa
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=152

AND a Tangaroa-Ru
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=5343

Let alone the other Tangaroa variations
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/bb_memberlist.php (plug Tangaroa into the search box to see)

Maybe Hanford will start allowing us to define specific font colors for our user names 'cause pretty soon I'm not gonna know whose post is whose (as if I already do...).

Nevertheless, welcome Tangaroa Ru.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIZILLA
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

I was there a couple times but don't remember the restaurant part of it. I just remember the bar with fish nets & various stuffed fish hanging from the ceiling and walls. It had been there on Fulton Ave. for a very long time. I wish now that I had gone in more often.

View Profile of TIKIZILLA Send a personal message to TIKIZILLA      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 3:46 pm   Permalink

Coral Reef should have been saved as a Sacramento landmark.

Lauren at Swanberg's has a connection to the Coral Reef and at our first Sacramento gathering he had printed out the receipe for their Mai Tai...he would be able to provide that for you.

Here is a napkin, matchbook and menu from the Coral Reef.

These little ceramic masks are from there as well, Souvenier of the Coral Reef, Sacramento Made in Japan printed on the back. Not sure if these were sold at a gift shop or in the bar?

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 7:41 pm   Permalink

I didn't know you had those....bastid!!

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 01:11 am   Permalink

Cool menu, and those flat mask are tres moderne! What is missing in this thread is the match book that shows that mid-century awning and reads "Lee Curto's Coral Reef", someone post that please! It is such a shame that the images on the older threads on this place and many other subjects did not get preserved!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 4:56 pm   Permalink

And don't forget that the old Coral Reef sign now has a home inside the Bamboo Hut bar in San Francisco:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blushinghaley

Posted: 2009-08-15 10:15 am   Permalink

Greetings. The Coral Reef was also a very special place for my family growing up in Sacramento. Was too young to know how great the Mai Tais were, but can still remember the house salad dressing. It was SO good - we used to buy it by the pint. If anyone has the recipe, I would be eternally grateful to you if you would share it. Remember the house salad...iceberg lettuce, diced shrimp, maybe a radish slice and that DELICIOUS dressing. thanks!!

View Profile of blushinghaley Send a personal message to blushinghaley      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-16 6:19 pm   Permalink

I was wondering what happened to the Coral Reef. My family dined there during New Year's Eve 1988. I can't recall the food since I was about 7 years old then but it would be awesome if somebody could find that Mai Tai recipe. Does anybody know what year the place closed? I might be able to find a Sac Bee article about that.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 6:01 pm   Permalink

I am cleaning up some files and I recently saw this nice napkin from the
Coral Reef:

It says "Sacremento" and "Millbrae" on the bottom.

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-10 06:28 am   Permalink

Another menu. Price on the fried prawns is .90 compared to 1.30 on the menu already posted.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carpeteria

Posted: 2010-04-10 9:48 pm   Permalink

I grew up in Sac, and always loved visiting this place. I remember being way into their foil-wrapped chicken. So sad that a Carl's Jr. is on the lot where the CR once stood. Love the images, everyone - thanks for posting!

View Profile of Carpeteria Send a personal message to Carpeteria  Goto the website of Carpeteria     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation