FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events The Hula Girls! Alex's Bar in Long Beach (now with PICTURES!)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Hula Girls! Alex's Bar in Long Beach (now with PICTURES!)
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 1:13 pm   Permalink

That's right folks, we're really excited to announce that we are going to be opening for country legend Wayne 'the Train' Hancock as well as one of MY local favorites, Russell Scott and his Red Hots... It all goes down at Alex's Bar in Long Beach on the 20th of December. Be sure to make the scene.

http://www.alexsbar.com/feature/2008/11/sat_dec_20_2008.php

[ This Message was edited by: luckydesigns 2008-12-22 15:09 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 07:40 am   Permalink

I'm there,
who's up for Roscoes chicken and Waffles before hand?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-20 10:27 am   Permalink

WoooHooo! Can't wait

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 2:14 pm   Permalink

I'm gonna swing by Kona at 4 then head up to the show after.
If anybody wants to join me.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-20 4:49 pm   Permalink

Rumor has it that the Hula Girls will play 9:00

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 10:38 pm   Permalink

sorry I didn't make it Fri or Sat guys I was in a humbug mood and got a headache after having a super sweet drink at Kona.

I will be at the Redwood bar show.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 07:54 am   Permalink

I snuck out of the house for an hour or so for the show...you guys were great! Not sure if the Alex's crowd knew what to make of it, but they seemed more into it than usual for an opening act. And I even managed to score a T-shirt!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 2:29 pm   Permalink

Despite some minor sound glitches in the bass dept (somewhat fixed by Russell Scott himself) the show was great. Wayne the Train and Russell Scott are just about the nicest people you will ever meet, and excellent, excellent musicians.
The Hula Girls band debuted many new songs, and it went over pretty well. Rockabilly crowds make for a tough audience, as they all seem to know a lot about what sounds good, but they sure liked us...

Next week we are playing with Hotrod Lincoln and a few others at the Redwood in LA...hope to see many TC people there.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 3:03 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Jason, I heard that someone bought a tee shirt... I'm glad to hear that it was you. You need to be sure to introduce yourself next time!

I thought the show went amazingly well. For our strange mix of Tiki/ Hawaiiana and rockabilly, we were received really well. Hell, for being an opening band, we were received really well. As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

Russ and his band and Wayne and his band were all so gracious and supportive to our deal. All super rad people.... and they both played great as always...
I really hope the show with Hot Rod Lincoln goes as well as this one did! Hope to see you all there.

More pics from the show on our mySpace page.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-22 3:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-22 15:03, Luckydesigns wrote:
As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

I don't get it...what's to be confused about. You'd have to be pretty damn close minded to not "know what to make" of you guys.

It was pretty evident to me what you guys were about. A mix of Rockabilly, Hawaiian Swing, a little Surf and tiki culture.

Cool stuff...nothing to figure out, not for me anyway.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 4:25 pm   Permalink

Well, the Rockabilly scene can get a little "monochromatic" at times..there is an established look, sound and style, and we don't actually fit it to a T. (especially myself)
But, we have a Gretsch guitar and upright bass with slappin'..to me it's close enough. I happen to love rockabilly and have actually played it all my life. Don't care much for Psychobilly, though, That's just punk rock/speed metal with an upright bass.

Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 5:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-22 15:47, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

As Jason said, although a lot of the rockabillies didn't really know what to make of us, I was surprised that everyone was really digging it. I think we're onto something here..... As we faze out more and more of the instrumentals from our set, I think more and more people will get hip to it.

I don't get it...what's to be confused about. You'd have to be pretty damn close minded to not "know what to make" of you guys.

It was pretty evident to me what you guys were about. A mix of Rockabilly, Hawaiian Swing, a little Surf and tiki culture.

Fellas, I LOVE your sound! Whatever you call it, there's nothin' like it anywhere, and it just works. The combination of influences is what makes it so cool. Wasn't able to make this one but I will surely catch you on the flip, cats!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-22 8:25 pm   Permalink

damn I'm bummed I missed this show.
I was even on my way,
what the hell is wrong with me?
sorry guys.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-22 15:47, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

I missed the show... but read this thread with great interest.

I think it's cool that Hula Girls opened for Wayne Hancock. And, just for the record... Wayne's not 'rockabilly' either. He's straight up Honky Tonk. I'm sure if Russell Scott was there for The Hula Girls set, he loved it. He's been playing Rockabilly/Roots music for as long as I can remember... but he has a very open mind (or ears) when it comes to music outside that genre. I'm sure Wayne and his band loved it as well... seeing as how Hawaiian music and Western Swing/Honky Tonk are so closely related.

Here's another thing... the crowd at Alexs Bar is always stuck up. It always has been. Unless you are a well known punk band or emo band... it's hard to win the crowd over. That's why Alex hasn't had any Rockabilly/Roots music there in years! For some reason the people who frequent that bar think they're the 'say all' in what's cool for music. Boy are they jaded....

As a member of the 'Rockabilly scene' (not something I like to claim; although I do play in one of the nations biggest RAB band...) I've got to completely agree with Tikiyaki and Lucas' comments. Alot of the folks into Rockabilly don't know much more than the Psychobilly and 'Neo' Rockabilly around here. They think it's all about the hair, cuffed jeans, leather, hot rods, and attitude. Talk about jaded... those are the one's you really don't want to like your band anyways. They usually bring nothing but trouble and bad vibes.

I like what The Hula Girls are doing. It's a great new take on Rockabilly and Hawaiiana music!

If the so-called "Rockabillies" that where there that night couldn't understand the Aloha shirts with the Billy influence.... fuck 'em. Keep playing at Hillbilly Jeff's Brunch shows... the people who attend those shows are the ones who know and appreciate good music anyways...

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation