FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Hawaiian, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Hawaiian, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 5:13 pm   Permalink

Name:The Hawaiian
Type:restaurant
Street:4645 E. Pacifc Coast Hwy
City:Long Beach
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:3-7407

Description:
The Hawaiian was a restaurant/bar that served Cantonese Cuisine,charcoal broiled steaks and tropical drinks. They had a buffet at 12 daily. I bought a matchbook on Ebay then did a little more research and found some pictures of a postcard, which have some more interior shots. The building is now a Pep Boys.

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2008-12-17 17:19 ]

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 5:17 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 11:42 am   Permalink

Mongoloid

Here is another postcard that I have from The Hawaiian.

I also have this menu from the Hawaiian.

Don't think I have seen the matchbook from this place, maybe you could post that.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-20 3:16 pm   Permalink

I knew I had something a bit out of the ordinary from The Hawaiian. I dug thru my stuff and found it.

A business card, front and back.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 4:00 pm   Permalink

Tiki Shaker,

Very nice, the old business cards are hard to come by. I have been enjoying your posts, keep up the good work.

I still want you to add that Mark Thomas Outrigger postcard to the thread I started under Locating Tiki

Here is the matchbook I saw on ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 09:09 am   Permalink

the Brick is interesting.....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-23 5:55 pm   Permalink

Stained napkin.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-23 6:17 pm   Permalink

That napkin, stains or not, allows for a much better view of the cool graphic on the back of the post card.

Quote:

On 2008-12-21 09:09, RevBambooBen wrote:
the Brick is interesting.....

Maybe that place was some other unsuccessful restaurant venture (like Italian?) that was turned Polynesian because it was the rage? I like the lamps, simple balls and tubes with what looks like rattan swirls bent around them. Very tropical modern.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-23 6:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I thought it was interesting how they combined two separate parts of the big logo - the tiki and the fruit bowl - to create the napkin graphic.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 11:24 pm   Permalink

Here is a better view of that really cool napkin.

DC

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 09:41 am   Permalink

Ahh the good ole' days , when the air was clean and sex was dirty!

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2009-04-13 09:44 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 12:04 am   Permalink

How cool is that...I live less than five minutes away from that Pep Boys and I had no idea that was there. I'll have to ask my mom if she ever went there. My earliest memories of that corner are of it being a used car lot, but hell I'm only 34. Nice finds everyone.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-27 12:48 am   Permalink

The Hawaiian matchbook...

with the inside text:

For the sake of being thorough...
Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2009-04-27 00:49 ]

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-06 12:25 pm   Permalink

Just nabbed this matchbook from the Hawaiian that has two new pictures that we have not seen before.

Here is the exterior, looks like there was a cool patio area on the side with bamboo fencing.

And the interior, another shot of those cool lamps. Looks like some nice place mats on the tables.

Also another version of the Tiki and the Hawaiian girl logo.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-15 10:54 pm   Permalink

This matchbook from the Hawaiian Restaurant shows that it was once owned by Don May, who also owned the Leilani Hut in Belmont Shores (aka Long Beach). A small Tiki world indeed.

Here's a link to the Leilani Hut thread.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32715&forum=2&hilite=leilani
DC

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation