FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Hawaiian, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Hawaiian, Long Beach, CA (restaurant)
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 5:46 pm   Permalink

What a LB eye opener! All the images from Sabu's original post are gone http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4087&forum=1&hilite=hawaiian ...I'm wondering what those menus looked like.

I was looking through old phone books on microfilm at the LB public library some time ago and found these ads. Dinners until midnight? I was born way too late!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HotelCharlieEcho

Posted: 2013-01-24 5:59 pm   Permalink

Tiki neophyte here, looking for some memorabilia from The Hawaiian. My father in law, who passed away a few years ago, used to be the maitre d' there. I'm trying to put together a shadow box/collage/shrine of some sort for my wife's birthday this year to give her a nice surprise and honor his memory. If anyone has anything they'd consider parting with, please e-mail me at hotelcharlieecho@gmail.com. Thanks!

View Profile of HotelCharlieEcho Send a personal message to HotelCharlieEcho  Email HotelCharlieEcho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 5:48 pm   Permalink

Just got this Luau invitation mailer dated 1958 from The Hawaiian in Long Beach.

The first half of the card advertises the restaurant operations with fashion show Tuesdays and the Paradise Quartet with George Kainapau.

The second half advertises the big Sunday Luau Feast with a Kalau Pig in a Pit and Island Attire.

For you English majors, How many typos can you spot?!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-11 11:20 pm   Permalink

Even as an English major, I'm almost more taken aback by the typesetting. Yikes!

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 2:20 pm   Permalink

Love the old GEneva phone number, mine was GE1-0227, Holden's was GE1-0225! :)

[ This Message was edited by: A Frame 2013-03-15 16:45 ]

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 4:13 pm   Permalink

I was trying to google the location...what mapquest points to is a church, but the address is different...however, down the street is a location with all the typical faux-tropical foliage and even fake lava rocks surrounding it. it also has the carport overhang....could it be the super 8 motel that now occupies that space? I also am going by Sven's urban archeology trick of looking for the tall palms. PS, I just saw the link to Sabu's post and there is no longer any pep boys around there. The motel has obviously been extended beyond the original building, but who really knows? Sven?

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-03-12 16:23 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-12 5:14 pm   Permalink

There is a Pep Boys at 4645 E. PCH in Long Beach. Ximeno Avenue is the cross street and it's by our notorious traffic circle.

The Super 8 is at 4201 E. PCH, although it was built in 1958. It used to be the BeachTown Motel. Java Lanes Bowling Alley was probably a 5 minute walk from there.

The Hawaiian was across the street from the Circle Marina Car Wash which is still in operation. Google street view has the best images I could find of it, but I couldn't save the image.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-12 17:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-12 17:56 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 6:21 pm   Permalink

Yes, the Hawaiian was at the spot currently occupied by the Pep Boys store. It was one of many great places you could find in Long Beach in the early sixties, as documented here by Sabu a few years ago.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33196&forum=2&vpost=554307&hilite=sabu

I was way too young then to take Sabu's tour and by the time I had a 10-speed, just 10 years later in 1973, only Java Lanes and Mr. C's had survived.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation