FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Let's play another round of Tiki Sleuth!
Let's play another round of Tiki Sleuth!
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 7:34 pm   Permalink

So...I was reading the liner notes to Leonard Cohen's "Death of a Ladies' Man" and noticed that the cover photo was attributed to an "anonymous roving photographer at a forgotten Polynesian restaurant" and yes indeedy...there's a drink in a ceramic coconut on the table.

But that's about it...there's not a hell of a lot otherwise. So anyone care to guess in which restaurant this was taken? I'm gonna guess "The Luau" based on the coconut vessel, but wot-do-eye-no?

Interestingly, ol' Lenny has been linked to Tiki before...witness this Shag painting which immortalizes an important moment in LC's musical career:

(Thanks Sweet Daddy Tiki!)

And I'll always love his version of "Moon of Manakoora"

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 10:41 am   Permalink

Huh, how bout that? I must have looked at that Death of a Ladies' Man cover a thousand times and never noticed that coconut mug before. Thank YOU, slacks.

BTW, the Shag painting is called "Leonard Cohen Composes 'Chelsea Hotel No. 2' At A Polynesian Bar In Miami".

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2013-01-29 17:11 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 7:13 pm   Permalink

Slacks - I agree with the Luau guess. The album was recorded in Los Angeles in 1977, and that does look an awful lot like the Steve Crane Coconut Mug. (Photo from the collection of Benehune.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 8:17 pm   Permalink

This should be in "Main" not "Bilge!"

I got some Eli pics that need some explanin' too!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 10:10 am   Permalink

Yeah, I meant for this to be in the main forum, but I just effed-up when I posted it...oh well. Maybe if everyone does that U-Moderate thingy, we'll convince one of the moderaters to move it?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 7:43 pm   Permalink

I'm reading a new biography of Leonard Cohen called "I'm Your Man" by Sylvie Simmons and there's another picture of Lenny in an unnamed Tiki restaurant:

It's captioned "Leonard and Suzanne, Miami, 1973". The woman is Suzanne Elrod, the mother of Cohen's children Adam and Lorca (but not the Suzanne of the song of that name).

Any guesses on the location?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-01-28 9:09 pm   Permalink

Okay just guessing but with bowleggedness of the Tiki near the table and the presence of non handled tea cups. I'm going with the Luau in Miami Beach?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-29 8:01 pm   Permalink

Great guess Boris, I concur,

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-29 8:05 pm   Permalink

Nice work, Mr. Boris!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation