[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tom Breneman's/Ah Fong's
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tom Breneman's/Ah Fong's
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I'm glad to see other people interested in older Los Angeles! I took this picture as part of an ongoing project comparing old Los Angeles to its current state. I found the original picture in the Los Angeles Public Library's digital archive. I can't link to it directly, but if you go to the main page (http://lapl.org) there's a link to the archive. Other great image searching sites for Los Angeles in particular and California in general are the digital archives for USC and UCLA, as well as the California State Library archive.

Oh, and my project is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogwelder/sets/72157594197422246/

My usual complaint with "before and after" photos is that the new photos aren't taken from the exact same spot and the result are bad, unhelpful comparisons. But you have done a very, very good job. I think you should put out your own before-and-after book, because you blow away the competition that I've seen.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-01-12 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-07 11:14, congawa wrote:
While we're on the subject, there was another Asian-American film actor from that same period who had a restaurant: Philip Ahn, who was Korean but frequently played Japanese-American spies and soldiers in World War II era movies (when of course genuine Japanese-American actors were locked up in internment camps). His place was the Moongate Restaurant in Panorama City (north San Fernando Valley) which had a cool industrial mid-century modern look:

Congawa thank you for finding that picture in Dogwelder's Flickr account and Dogwelder thank you for finding it in the LA Public Library archives. I know that the photo archive can cause headaches on occasion. Phil Ahn's Moongate is on a list of places I've found in old L.A. phone books that I've been meaning to check out. Here is an ad from 1959. It looks as if the statue in the "Porthole" is their logo. The "Porthole" is actually the Moongate.

I'd still like to see the inside even though it's been 50 years! So maybe I'll stop by the La Sierra Nightclub and see although the reviews I've read say to stay away and it looks like their doing a new Grand Opening this month so if there were any remnants of the "Charming Oriental Setting" left it's probably toast.

I also agree with Arriano that your pictures are great Dogwelder and that other examples of before and after photos most notably the Then and Now series from Thunder Bay Press are awful to the point where you think “Did you even slow your car down to take this picture?” However Pete Moruzzi’s Havana Before Castro is an excellent example of before and after photography, Pete nails it.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-12 19:00, Bora Boris wrote:
However Pete Moruzzi’s Havana Before Castro is an excellent example of before and after photography, Pete nails it.

Oh? And how about the photographer?

Sigh, that Moon Gate building so much reminds me of Madame Wu's and her Santa Monica Chinese Modern temple, and the many Tony Ramos-mixed Fogcutters I savored in the bar, in the company of the Bum, and Kev'n'Jo, and the rest...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-01-12 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-12 19:16, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-01-12 19:00, Bora Boris wrote:
However Pete Moruzzi’s Havana Before Castro is an excellent example of before and after photography, Pete nails it.

Oh? And how about the photographer?

eh... he's just okay.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-12 7:57 pm   Permalink

On that note does anyone know where Tony Ramos is now days?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 08:57 am   Permalink

Last time I asked Jeff he told me Tony had retired from mixology duty.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-04 10:49 pm   Permalink

Back to the topic of Ah Fong's, since this seems to be the only thread for it, I noticed this cool photo from the owners' son here
http://www.myspace.com/odenfong/photos/16755544#{%22ImageId%22%3A16755544}

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-05 10:37 am   Permalink

I just recently finished reading the book Orange Sunshine by Nick Schou, about the Laguna Beach hippie group Brotherhood of Eternal Love--who were associated with Timothy Leary and were responsible for a lot of LSD distribution and hashish smuggling of the late 60s and early 70's (and the movie Rainbow Bridge). Oden Fong is mentioned a few times as he was associated with the group (he later got religion and is now a pastor at Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa):

http://www.finalfrontier.org.uk/index.php?main=13&sub=2&page=30

Since I grew up in South Orange county, I remember driving past the Laguna Beach hippies who would congregate outside Taco Bell (sometimes on our way from family brunch at the Outrigger or dining at Royal Hawaiian) so even though I was too young to know the real details, the above mentioned book answered a lot of questions.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-14 08:28 am   Permalink

I found this 1972 menu from Ah Fong's on pinterest.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation