FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tahitian, Pasadena, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Tahitian, Pasadena, CA (restaurant)
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 10:13 am   Permalink

Name:The Tahitian
Type:restaurant
Street:137 So. Lake Ave.
City:Pasadena
State:CA
Zip:91101
Phone:

Description:
Only open for Lunch Monday through Saturday 11:00am-2:30pm and from 3:00pm until 11:00pm for Sunday Dinner. They served Cantonese and American styled luncheons and dinners.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 10:16 am   Permalink

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-02 1:30 pm   Permalink

Here are some additional items from the Tahitian. One of my favorite menu covers.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-06 9:13 pm   Permalink

A nice napkin.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-07 9:29 pm   Permalink

sweet DC...you seem to have quite a collection! Thank you for sharing! The napkin looks as if it has tribal embossing?

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 10:06 pm   Permalink

I picked up a business card from The Tahitian. These are always nice to find.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-07 12:19 pm   Permalink

I had read that the Tahitian in Pasadena was the first of the two restaurants to open, with the Studio City location following. I picked up a matchbook that has just the Studio City location listed on the front, suggesting otherwise. First time I have seen one of these with a single location.

Here is the back of the matchbook compared to the one with both locations.

It looks like they just added the Pasadena location to the design further suggesting that Studio City was first.

DC

Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 4:28 pm   Permalink

A pink lamp in the image of the Bumatay carving from the front of their menu.

There's a picture of a green version on page 152 in the Book of Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2011-07-14 16:28 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 9:31 pm   Permalink

Aaah, quite a rare artifact! Judging by its color, it's entirely possible it came from the infamous Tropicana Lanes in Inglewood:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28732&forum=1&vpost=387227

This thread should also not be without Bai's spectacular NEW Tahitian mug!:

(here in my "Paris Tiki" altar)

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-07-15 09:10 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

I just got this fantastic tri-fold postcard mailer from the Tahitian restaurant in Studio City. This thing is big and looks like brand new.

This is a holy grail piece with never-before-seen photos of the interior and exterior of the restaurant. Some close ups.

First up, the killer bar area.

The cool fireplace room. Looks like Strikow Tikis overhead of the fireplace.

The dinning room and buffet areas.

The luau set up.

The banquet room with a great wall mural.

And finally, the amazing exterior shot, just oozing with Tiki Modern. The carved outrigger beams, the ultra-mod tiki torches, the fishnet float lights, and the sign.

You can get a glimpse of two large Tikis by the front and back doors. They look like they could be Bumatay carvings.

Here is the information on the back of the mailer. They really had it all going on, from banquets to Luaus and even a continental Tiki buffet!

This is one of the coolest items I have found in a long, long, time.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-16 5:12 pm   Permalink

I love having paper ephemera pop up that I didn't even know existed. Cool fireplace, and major Tiki Spoon and Fork redemption

It's a bit low on the TYPSY scale, and the overall look is one of a Luau party banquet room, nice, but not too much money spent on serious carvings of the higher O.A. range, or elaborate landscaping like interior/exterior waterfalls. I would venture a guess that there was another restaurant in there before.

Nevertheless, great to see interiors and the exterior that I have never seen before, good find! Thanks for the scans and zoom-ins.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 08:44 am   Permalink

This good news is the Ventura location was replaced by a shopping center, and the Pasadena location was replaced by a parking lot. Hurray!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 09:02 am   Permalink

Fantastic bar shot, thanks DC!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 4:15 pm   Permalink

Great mailer DC! And for me it answers the question of the origin of the pink Bumatay Lamp.

It seems the pink version of the lamp was used at the Studio City location and can also be seen in the other interior shots of the restaurant. I guess the green version was used at the Pasadena location.

[ This Message was edited by: Tattoo 2012-08-19 16:17 ]

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-08 10:05 am   Permalink

Looks like someone made a youtube clip from the Studio City post card.

The Tahitian Studio City, CA.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation