FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Crafted Christmas Ornaments - Holiday Ornaments
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Crafted Christmas Ornaments - Holiday Ornaments
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-22 11:44 am   Permalink

Thanks '61

Started working on my mini tiki torch Christmas lights. Started with a string of 10 flickering flame lights from Lowe's. Cut a 2 1/2 inch piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe Cut the top off a bottle of Mondo Primo Punch (30 cents a 6 pack at Dollar Tree) and spray painted it with Fusion paint for plastic. Wrapped a piece of grass placemat around it and glued it all together with a hot glue gun. One down, nine to go

PS - Dump the punch and save the bottles, it's NASTY!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 12:20 pm   Permalink

MDM: Those new lights are SOOOO fun and I REALLY like your glass floats! You are VERY creative. I have so much crap in my house that could be converted to great stuff - I just don't have the imagination to do it - or if I CAN envision it - I can't make it look like I imagine! Grrrr!

About those floats - I haven't tried yet, but did you have to make any modifications to the knotting you did on those floats? A while ago I had an idea for making float earrings but couldn't figure out the knotting (see my comment above about vision/follow-thru LOL!). You inspire me to new levels!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 8:02 pm   Permalink

Great idea on those tiki torches. Can't wait to see how your tree turns out. What are you thinking of for a topper?

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 9:37 pm   Permalink

Genius!!!!!!!!Genius!!!!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-23 09:35 am   Permalink

BeadTiki, you just have to GO FOR IT!!! You can do it! I pretty much used the knotting technique from the first post of this thread. It looks complicated but it's really not once you start. As far as earrings, here's a small float I did a few days ago.

Thank you KoiTiki. I haven't thought about a topper yet. Organization is not one of my talents so I don't plan things very well. I get carried away with inspiration and end up with too much of one thing and not enough of another

MP, good to hear from you again! You were a busy guy last night - 15 posts. I think that may be a new world record!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-23 3:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info. Did you use a marble or a bead for that little guy? I know - how about you do the netting and I'll attach the earwires!? LOL Okay - I JUST found some twine today in my closet (don't ask!) and I'm gonna try my hand at the ornament floats. Thanks for the confidence too!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-24 11:15 am   Permalink

I couldn't find a bead or marble I liked so I made a latex mold and cast one out of epoxy.

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-24 11:48 am   Permalink

Duuuuude! I think I'm more like that lush on the Food Channel - Semi-home made (or as I call it semi-home drunk) - I prefer to use things already at hand!

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-24 11:48 am   Permalink

Duuuuude! I think I'm more like that lush on the Food Channel - Semi-home made (or as I call it semi-home drunk) - I prefer to use things already at hand!

WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-24 3:09 pm   Permalink

That gal does enjoy her cocktails, doesn't she?

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-24 3:46 pm   Permalink

Great idea Mike! Not just for Xmas too.
Those would look great also in any tiki bar
year round. Looking forward to seeing the
completed MDM masterpiece!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 07:58 am   Permalink

Mike, this is what we've come to expect from you: a traditional idea given a fresh spin that makes a person think, "Why the hell didn't I think of that?"

A fresh spin ingeniously designed and perfectly carried out. Frikkin' nice.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-22 07:19 am   Permalink

I'm in full-tilt ornament mode right now, Dec 1st is only a week away I'm working on ceramic "bone" fishhooks and "rock" petroglyphs. Trying to make molds for some thin cast tikis to hang on the tree.

Then I had an epiphany! Silk leis would make a zazz garland; just snip 'em and tie 'em together

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-11-22 10:25 am   Permalink

You used to be able to get 6 feet of garland from Oriental Trading company. Same thing as the cheap silk leis.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-27 07:56 am   Permalink

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz. Oh, what a relief it is

It's the day after Thanksgiving, I'm so full I may never eat again! It's also time to put up the Tiki Christmas Tree! We always have several decorated trees in the house, so there is a heirarchy for tree assignment; you don't just come up with a new tree idea and get the 7 footer in the living room! You start out with the 3 footer in the dining room and if the Christmas Tree Committee (my wife) is pleased with your work, you may get a 5 footer next year

I made up some "bone" fishhooks, a "jade" heitiki, and some "stone" petroglyphs out of ceramic.

I tried a couple of Maori "bone" twists but I made them from the picture in my head instead of looking at a picture of a real one - they are too skinny to use! The 2 on the right are mine, I'll have to try again.

So I took my 3 foot tree, my torch lights, bamboo hut lights, netted glass balls, ceramic ornaments, cheap fugly silk flower garland from (shhhh - Party City) and some bone pendants I had and made my Tiki Christmas Tree.

And the crowning glory for my tree is Cammo's Gold Leaf Zormok

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-11-27 08:08 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation