FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hula's Modern TIki, PHOENIX, (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hula's Modern TIki, PHOENIX, (restaurant)
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-14 11:38 am   Permalink

Really nice photo that my good friend and co designer on this project, Brian, shot with his nifty wide angle.

View Profile of Citibeach Send a personal message to Citibeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-14 11:47 am   Permalink

3d model of the new addition to the old building. What we are doing is marrying the old 1965 building to a new structure. It will be the theme throughout Hula's Phoenix. We are going more city/loungy, especially opening in Central Phoenix, which is going through its own branding as an urban city in the desert. The tipping point has finally swung to this area becoming something special. The few pioneers in the Central and downtown areas are starting to do very well, even as the economy and the other areas of Phoenix/Scottsdale suffer.
Note: Disregard all colors on this model, we have not come up with the palate yet and the architect that did this model was just trying some things out. The green has to go..lol

View Profile of Citibeach Send a personal message to Citibeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-05 5:56 pm   Permalink

I'm so happy to see a Tiki spot opening up in town. Looking forward to the opening!

View Profile of Zog Send a personal message to Zog  Goto the website of Zog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 10:56 am   Permalink

So what's up with Hula's? I am flying into Phoenix this afternoon and staying until Sunday.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-22 12:44 pm   Permalink

Yes we are alive and opened 3 weeks ago. Going very well. Sorry I have not been on here for any updates, have been keeping people informed via a blog at www.hulasmoderntiki.com.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, you will see a blog full of photos and info as we were building the place out. I should have been keeping this site update, dropped the ball on that one. We are at 4700 North Central Ave., open right now just for dinner, every night at 4pm. Come on in.

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 1:30 pm   Permalink

WOW !!!

Tiki and Modern (Mid Century style) ...my 2 favorite things.

Beautiful....

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 1:32 pm   Permalink

Whoaah! Nice. Veeery modern, in a Tiki-sparse sort of way. But that seems to be what peeps feel comfortable with nowadays. Congrats to a successful opening!

Someone must have sacrificed their mug collection for that bar case! Has anybody fallen off the bar stool trying to see it yet?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-22 1:48 pm   Permalink

You would drool over the munk tiki mugs in the case. Miles and Paul
were so generous in giving me dozens of amazing pieces, some that they never made public.
Or test pieces done in one color, one time. Really cool stuff. I will shoot some photos
and put them on here for all to see.

[ This Message was edited by: citibeach 2009-10-22 16:50 ]

Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-23 11:49 am   Permalink

I was really inspired by the mid century architecture in Central Phoenix. Traveled to LA and Palm Springs for inspiration, a weekend in Malibu, another weekend at The Pearl in San Diego, two trips to NYC. Then more inspiration looking through a Shag book that sits on my coffee table. Shags name always comes up at the top of the list in the tiki art world, yet his work is really more inspired by by mid century modern in most of his work. He will have a cocktail setting in a backyard of some mid century home. The clothing and furnishings will represent that era, then with a touch of tiki he will place say a tiki god in the corner and an umbrella in a drink, and it's tiki. I love it, always have, the two worlds compliment each other perfectly. This is what I attempted to do with the space. I modeled it from what I had in my head, of what I thought a mid century home on the coast of Southern Cali, with a touch of tiki might have looked like. I realize how different that is to the other two restaurants, Hula's in Monterey and Hula's in Santa Cruz. A different direction, but one that I believe really works.
I hope everyone enjoys it, always the bottom line, and the only reason I do what I do.
Here is one of the two tiki gods that Tiki Tony carved for the space.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-23 7:40 pm   Permalink

Damn,
I wish I had more time when I was in Phoenix last weekend,
I didn't find out about Hulas till we were almost ready to leave.

there is a lot more I want to do/see in Az.
so I will be back, and go to Hulas.

congrats, looks great.
Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-23 11:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry I missed you last night when I stopped by Chris. Great job with Hula's Phoenix!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 11:45 am   Permalink

A friend is taking me tonight for my birthday dinner. I so cannot wait!

I'm so happy to see that building brought back to life and put to good use. You couldn't have chosen better for it.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfalaia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 06:58 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surfalaia 2009-11-10 15:15 ]

View Profile of surfalaia Send a personal message to surfalaia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-30 08:40 am   Permalink

Thanks for coming in and thank you for the compliments. I am a bit concerned about your drink experience. We pour a very healthy Mai tai, that was developed by Martin cate of forbidden island fame in alameda,ca. It is the original trader vics Mai tai recipe. The Mai tai had always been our big hit at all 3 restaurants. I am back in Cali for the weekend, but will make a phone call and make sure the Mai tai is being poured correctly. As for the zombie, they are fairly close in flavor. One thing to keep in mind, rum based drink are pretty covered up by tropical juices overall, so usually much stronger in alcohol then one might expect. Thanks again for the feedback.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 08:56 am   Permalink

I would echo the comments about the quality of the Mai Tai. I was in about 2 weeks ago to try one. I had just come from the Scottsdale Trader Vic's to do a taste comparison. I was not impressed with Hula's version. The pineappple was the only flavor I could taste, which shouldn't be in there in the first place.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation