FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hula's Modern TIki, PHOENIX, (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Hula's Modern TIki, PHOENIX, (restaurant)
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-30 11:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-22 13:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Whoaah! Nice. Veeery modern, in a Tiki-sparse sort of way. But that seems to be what peeps feel comfortable with nowadays. Congrats to a successful opening!

Someone must have sacrificed their mug collection for that bar case! Has anybody fallen off the bar stool trying to see it yet?

Long before I discovered Tiki I started liking the modern look so the decor works well for me. The carved wood framing the window is very nice. I like Scottsdale's Trader Vic's more, I could live there.

People were looking at me funny as drooled over the mugs. Great collection of Munktiki.

If those Ryden's disappear, I swear it wasn't me.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Derek Mitchell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-01 11:46 pm   Permalink

Place Looks killer!!!!

I will have to stop in next time I'm in Phoenix.

View Profile of Derek Mitchell Send a personal message to Derek Mitchell  Email Derek Mitchell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tomsartproject
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-27 11:23 am   Permalink

the place looks cool and it appears you're having success! good job. stopped by on a friday nite and it was super-crowded. unfortunately i had to bail due to a strong aversion to lynrd skynrd (which was playing over the pa) but i'll be back at a more chizill time to peruse and imbibe! cheers

View Profile of tomsartproject Send a personal message to tomsartproject  Email tomsartproject Goto the website of tomsartproject     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 4:23 pm   Permalink

Hula's is celebrating it's one year anniversary on September 28th!

http://hulasprivateisland-erec.eventbrite.com/

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

We just got back from this event and it was MAGNIFICENT! Free food and drink and friendly people.
Could have used some Baxter or Drasnin instead of the 80's tunes (a reflection, I think, of its being a bit of a destination for the local lasses and lads).
None the less if you missed this you really missed out.
Hula's is always on our "list" whenever we're in Phoenix.

[ This Message was edited by: zond2 2010-09-29 05:30 ]

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 9:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-22 13:30, tikiyaki wrote:
WOW !!!

Tiki and Modern (Mid Century style) ...my 2 favorite things.

Beautiful....

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 9:37 pm   Permalink

Weird timing but Surfalaia just sent me the mug from Hula's and I picked it up at the post office today.

Since i didnt see a pic of it I thought I would add it.

Happy 1st Anniversary!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 2:45 pm   Permalink

ooh, this place looks great! Matt the Cat & I will be in Phoenix, AZ in late March for Spring Training. We'll definitely come by! I'll see if I can find a website with hours. Can't wait!

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-16 5:30 pm   Permalink

Here's the website: http://hulasmoderntiki.com/

They also just had a write up in the local New Times with a slideshow featuring a bit of their collection: http://bit.ly/g4MmlT

Always up for meeting at Tiki Time Happy Hour, TikiMookie! When will you be in AZ?

View Profile of Zog Send a personal message to Zog  Goto the website of Zog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Ho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-27 7:33 pm   Permalink

So, I went back again this week to Hula while visiting AZ. I had a nice time; we went during a very slow period which was good because I had a specialty cocktail for them to make. Maybe I am spoiled with NYC and Boston mixologists who have revived the tropical drink recipes with style and diligence but, they were a bit clueless as to simple things like "what is lemonhart" and even where the rums are all from. They did however, make me a decent Cuban Anole on request (and then made themselves one as well!) I offered to share the recipe for the '34 Zombie - i think about 6 ingredients in, the bartender lost interest in copying down the recipe.

Hula is in a neat little revival space in downtown phoenix where I used to live; so that's fun to have something close to the folks' home. Its more palm-springs modern than tiki really; the cocktails are a solid B I would say but it is clear that their focus isn't really on the drinks it would seem.

I do love the design of the space; they did a great job reviving this dumpy location into something very hip. Kill that TV and put some exotica on the stereo and it would be even better. I almost left a couple of the Orchestrotica's new CDs but, I guessed it may be kinda useless given the stuff I heard playing while I was there. Regardless, I would and will go back on my next visit as I love modern-meets-tiki and they did a nice job!

Mr. HO

http://orchestrotica.com/ ••• New album Nov. 2013

View Profile of Mr. Ho Send a personal message to Mr. Ho  Email Mr. Ho Goto the website of Mr. Ho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 9:18 pm   Permalink

Going to make a road trip soon.
Any more pics?
Do they sell mugs n such?

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation