FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Thanks everyone.
Thanks everyone.
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 4:12 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to make a quick post and say thanks to all the carvers here. I've been spending time on here reviewing the different threads, seeing peoples different styles, learning about the different tiki styles, etc.

I appreciate you all posting your progress pics, the process involved in finding the piece that is hidden in the wood and the final outcome.

I've worked on a few small pieces with a dremel and realized that it really won't do the trick on any larger pieces. So I picked up some basic little flat edged chisels and mallet but I'm seeing that I'll need some V shaped and U shaped chisels as well. I need to spend a some more time reading about the types of stain and finishes you guys use but I'll get to that sometime.

If I spent as much time working on my current piece as I do on this site I'd be done with it by now and on to my next with the inspiration found here.

Thanks again everybody, now I'm off to cut some wood.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 4:33 pm   Permalink

Well????!!! Get to work Dammitt!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 4:38 pm   Permalink

While V and U shaped chisels are nice (and are needed for certain cuts), I've still used straight chisels for almost all of the work I do on bigger pieces. I can make a cleaner, faster V with a straight chisel than I can with a V shaped one, although I'm sure I could get better with the V's.

It's always fun to get more tools, but keep carving! They never had fancy flexcut gouges when they were carving hundreds of years ago in the islands.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 1:01 pm   Permalink

I still use a 4 piece 30 bucks straight chisel set for all my large carves and stain is a matter of taste. I like the water based stain so i can make it as dark or light as i want.
There you go, Now start carving, post some pics of what you are doing and have tons of fun.
Who needs internet anyway

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 4:38 pm   Permalink

Seagoat,

Give Mountain Heritage Crafters a lookee. They seem to have good low prices on Flexcuts....if you are in the market for a few. Take a look at the MC 175 set and the MC 100 set. I use both and like them very much.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 5:09 pm   Permalink

I cant get enough of that name seagoat love it/.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation