FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts would like input on ceiling and wall treatments for our lounge, please!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
would like input on ceiling and wall treatments for our lounge, please!
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:42 pm   Permalink

Hi all - here are some pics of the Zombie hut tiki lounge in our basement in Kenmore, just east of Seattle. We would love to do some treatments ( BacBac board or mat and/or bamboo ) on the ceiling and the wall to the west where the window and the Tiki mugs are. Any suggestions? and please, any west coast resources for materials.

I know its too much to hope that there might be something local in Seattle, but who knows? We were thinking BacBac on the ceiling and maybe painting the beams to look like tapa cloth or maybe bamboo - haven't decided.

Waddyatink?
Mahaloz,
Palapala/Lopaka

( Sorry about the slight fuzziness - pics were taken at night and its hard to get a lot of light into the room )

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:53 pm   Permalink

How tall are you?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 9:05 pm   Permalink

I suspect they have a low ceiling like we do on our addition-totally not to code. Dunno if it was ok in the 70's when it was put on, but it's not 8 feet!

I'd do something to the background of the ceiling and paint those beams darker. You have the dang can lights like we do. I hate them. But Tikiskip told me how we can make them into tiki light fixtures-you take out the bulb, put in a screw-in socket for a plug (an adapter) then pulg in your new tiki lamp made from a basket or other material, fasten the lamp part into the inside of the fixture in the ceiling. But with a low ceiling it's going to be more challenging.

We've got fishnets over part of our ceiling with stuff hanging thru it and shells and postcards, drink umbrellas 'caught' up on it. You could always paint then fishnet/tapa it if you wanted. It kinda depends on how much you want to put into it. Just get lots of cool mood lightig so it doesn't feel like the ceiling is falling in on you!!!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 9:25 pm   Permalink

the ceiling is 7 foot 3, and the exposed beams are about five and a quarter inches wide by about four and a half inches down, so we have room to do a flat treatment, but to have fishnet might be asking for an extra insurance waiver for strangulation accidents!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 10:49 am   Permalink

I live in Edmonds and there's a company in Seattle that sells sheets of woven bamboo veneer (1/32" thick) that will give you a great look without losing any noticeable room height.
Price is $20-24 per 4' x 8' sheet that you can adhere to the ceiling.

http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/items.asp?Cc=WOVEN&Bc=

I have low ceilings in my basement (7' 6") and am thinking of using some of this myself.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28247&forum=18&start=30

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-14 10:58 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 6:14 pm   Permalink

Thanx for the info Mr. pants,(or can I just call u PU Pu?)
lol...
we plan to go to Bamboo hardwoods next week..BTW, I'm trying to get an eastside o' seattle bar crawl going.. do you or anyone else you know want to be part of it?
Edmonds is'nt that far from Kenmore....how about some pic's of your place?

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 6:19 pm   Permalink

oooh! just saw the pic's you posted earlier.
you rock!

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 6:30 pm   Permalink

That's MR. Mr. Pants
Sure, some kind of bar crawl event would be a blast.

The second link on my earlier post (above) is actually a link to the posting for my basement Tiki bar 'project'. I was commiserating with you on the low ceiling

Here it is from page 1 (to page 5):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28247&forum=18&60

It's starting to come along but I still have quite a bit of work to do. I'm sure having alot of fun as I go. I love this site for sharing the info and the fun.
I hope you have a great time with yours. Aloha neighbor!

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 6:35 pm   Permalink

If u die, can i have your stuff?
write me in your will?
can I touch you and see if some of your talent rubs off?
seriously, we need to get together! show me yours and I'll show you mine!

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 11:45 am   Permalink

I went to Bamboo hardwoods yesterday.
Saw the $20 a panel woven bamboo plywood.really pretty stuff!
since we are getting 30 panels, they were willing to cut the price to $18 each.
now I just have to pick them up on Thurs.
No shipping charges or waiting for delivery! YAY!
It will need to be applied with contact cement, and then framed arround the edges.

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 12:09 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! Which location did you go to? Downtown Seattle or the Eastside? Do you know if they have the same stuff at all locations?
Have fun!

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 12:32 pm   Permalink

If you want to get the sheets, you will need to get them at their warehouse, which is on 4th street in Seattle.
We saw it displayed at the Roosevelt sqare outlet where they have it on one of the walls.
really nice!

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 2:07 pm   Permalink

Everthing should be as white as possible. I believe "Ultra White" is the correct term.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 2:10 pm   Permalink

Seriously, you've got some awesome stuff & once you warm that room up with some lauhala, bamboo & tapa it's gonna really blow us away. I like the one green wall. I think I'd leave that alone & use it to showcase some of your art. Keep the pics coming as I'm in the middle of a makeover & always looking for ideas to thieve!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shampoovta
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-20 5:40 pm   Permalink

Hay post pictures when ya get something going. I like the green too. It's soothing and cool.

View Profile of shampoovta Send a personal message to shampoovta  Goto the website of shampoovta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation