FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts would like input on ceiling and wall treatments for our lounge, please!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
would like input on ceiling and wall treatments for our lounge, please!
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 10:26 am   Permalink

I think I've found one solution to those butt-ugly resessed can lights in my basement... hand carved wooden trivets from India! 7 1/2 inches around, 3/8" deep, carved all the way through to let out a discreet ammount of light,very pretty asian type design, and only $8 each!
Check out Greeenheartshop.org, under; floral wood trivet!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 11:33 am   Permalink

These.

So how does that look? Can you show us a photo once you've installed it?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 2:31 pm   Permalink

Yupper!
It should be coming some time next week.
with any luck, we should starting to install the woven bamboo ply
next week too!
I love the Idea of this trivet treatment.
It seems to cover all of my needs... less than an inch deep,exotic looking,simple and cheap!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 5:43 pm   Permalink

Whee!
Big day! Progress on both our ceiling and tapa print projects. Went to Bamboo Hardwoods in Seattle and got 32 4'x 8' sheets of narrow weave bamboo ply. Got a screamin' good deal, too!
listed @ $24.00 a sheet, but sweet talked my way to $18.00 per. got some Moso 8' by 2" bamboo poles to split and use for trim above the wall that we are going to do tapa painting on.
hey, you know all that laminated foam board you got when you unpacked your latest electronics? it makes great stamps for a tapa pattern!
I came home and began to carve up some random bits.. Used an xacto, one sided razor blade. and heated up a metal awl to melt some of the pattern in. (You can get some great paint samples from Benjamin Moore - 2 oz. for $3.50 each).
We seem to be going with a primitive dog theme...I'm thinking of re-naming our lounge the "poi dog Paradise".
here's some pic's of my 1st stamps, and our Bamboo booty!
( this is also linked to Lopaka's spaces blog at
http://rabosaurpapaya.spaces.live.com )

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

Very nice job on the stamps!
and it certainly looks like you're already having alot of fun--which is what it's all about. The process itself is the best part for me.

Do you know if those sheets of woven bamboo are stainable? I'm planning to use some of it to cover a section of ceiling in Hula Sue's and wondering how well it takes stain.

Aloha neighbor,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 7:07 pm   Permalink

I checked, and if rubbing a sharpie type pen on the suface is any indication, I think so... it seemed to make a permanent mark.
I would talk to the folks @ bamboo hardwoods,however. their inventory seems to be a pretty fluid thing.
the stuff I originally ordered was not there in the quantity that I needed, so they offered me this stuff @ the same price they quoted me @ the Roosevelt store, which was their contractor price.. I think I got most of
what they had. they have other types of ply, and I bet you can negotiate price with them, too...places like this can't help but hurt in this economy, so give it a try..

BTW, I went out forraging for more stamp making material today, and it's almost impossible to find the laminated foam board, unless you are lucky enough get it rummaging through the trash, but I'm going to try cutting up some soft linking mats I found @ Lowe's. it has a fine basket weave pattern that might be just the thing for a Tapa-like backround...I'll let you know how it goes.

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 8:21 pm   Permalink

not liking the soft linking mat material.
too dense to make a good print.not very consistant.
oh well.
I think Howland was right about the camping mat.

Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 07:45 am   Permalink

You can buy the foam board in 20" x 30" sheets at Kelly Paper Company, 145 S. Horton St. #2, Seattle. Ask for Marianne, the store manager. It runs about $4.00 per sheet.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 09:27 am   Permalink

Just checked with Kelly...no joy, but thanks for trying to help.

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 8:16 pm   Permalink

another busy day. I feel like i finally perfected my tapa stamps. I used a thin camping mat, cut it to size, glued it to 4 x 6 blocks, burned out my patterns with a wood burning tool, and go to work.

I'm really pleased with our progress. Here's some pics of Lopaka and I makeing a mess

Also - the indian trivet came today. Really like the look of it, but not quite sure how to attach it to the ceiling. The woven bamboo mat started to go up today too, but we need a lineoleum roller to get it nice and flat with good attachment. More tomorrow.

palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 10:02 am   Permalink

here's the latest installment of progress on the Poi Dog Paradise. All the woven bamboo ply has gone up on the ceiling, and you can see how nicely it works with our tapa printing on the beams. We didn't much care for the trivet idea on the lights, too small, kind of clumsy looking, not enough light. But - I came up with the idea of these little Japanese paper parasols:

https://www.japanesegifts.com/product.php?id=214

Yep - they are just like drink umbrellas, only bigger. At about $4 each they're another real bargain in the creation of our lounge. We're going to figure out a way to attach them to the can lights, shouldn't be too difficult. We'll be putting up some bamboo trim around the matting next week.

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 12:39 pm   Permalink

really love the way that tapa stamp idea turned out.

Love the progress pics--thanks for sharing and keep em coming!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 10:24 pm   Permalink

Really coming together nicely! The stamps are sweet! The parasols are great, we did the same over our light in my old house and it looked swell!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 9:37 pm   Permalink

Here's the latest progress report on the Poi Dog Paradise project. the ceiling is just about finished with the exception of a few bits of trim here and there and our giant drink umbrella light covers.
The western facing wall below the window has been tapa stamped and trimmed out with a lot of beautiful bamboo.
The squares you see in the middle are going to be covered with some 3x3 squares of bamboo fencing. the stamps are just there underneath for texture since the fencing has a lot of gaps.
We're going to be putting up six different masks, one on every other square and they will be given glowing led light eyes; two of them which have moveable jaws will be outfitted with small motors so they can slowly open and close.

The next question: we want to make a volcano for the outside diorama that is visible from the windows. So far the suggestions have been paper mache, which I don't think will hold up outside even though its a protected area that doesn't
usuallly get wet; or styrofoam that can be covered with a lightweight concrete for texture.
We plan to put some type of a sullen flickering red light that can be seen from the top and I was thinking one of those fog maker thinggies that you find in cheesy table top fountains. we're looking at filling a 3 ft x 3ft x 3ft space with the volcano along with jungles, huts, virgin sacrifice, cannibal pot, etc. (Anyone know how to do a river of lava? )
Don't know where I'm going to find all this stuff, but I look forward to the hunt.
The whole area we're doing the diorama is about 6 feet wide, 3 feet tall , and 45 feet long. Lots of faux plants and such.

More next week.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-13 3:31 pm   Permalink

Looking great! Here's an idea for your lava river but it's not cheap: check out the fireplace glass that's available. It's broken up colored glass, made of safety glass so it breaks into granules with no sharp edges. Lay out a river of it with volcanic rock on each side, bury some rope lights or strings of flickering Christmas lights if you want. Seems like the glass runs about $200 for 25 lbs.

Your tapa stamps turned out good, carving them with a hot tool instead of a knife is brilliant! My tiki space is an outdoor patio with 4x4 upright supports, I think they need stamped tapa designs

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-02-13 16:03 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation