Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Tiki Mugs on Oahu or Maui
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Mugs on Oahu or Maui
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 9:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-14 19:33, KuKu wrote:
Yet to have ones inquiry referred to as naive is somewhat insulting. I had a teacher as a child who built great self esteem in her students that once said " there are no dumb questions, only stupid answers". No hard feelings I hope, I'm just lookin' for da mugs...

Now we're talking: I did not call YOU naive, merely suggested your inquiry sounded so. Actually, my exact wording was:
"The above QUESTION (not you) strikes ME (as in "my subjective point of view") as a LITTLE naive...",
which is somewhat different than the way you took it, as "What a dumb question!".

How was I to know you were a well read gentleman of such rich Island heritage?

And to answer your question "Dude, what is your problem?", I can only say that I have no problem, this is what I DO:
I teach Tiki. Some people think I pontificate, I feel I share experience and information where it might be lacking. Some take it, some don't. I am sure there were a number of folks here who read my review and thought "Well I'll be gosh darned, I never knew that!"

I also DID answer your initial question, stating that I (for the afore-mentioned reasons) did not know of any restaurant mug sources in the islands... but that some folks here certainly would! And I am happy to see that indeed this post garnered enough interest to bring up SEVERAL of them.

Good hunting. At least now you will be happily surprised if you come by previously unheard-of mug sources!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 11:22 pm   Permalink

Tiki's Grill and Bar in Waikiki also has a series of chinese mugs imprinted with their logo: a tall ceramic tiki mug available in multiple colors and an R-12 like Ku coffee mug.

Interesting news about those La Mariana mugs - I'll have to head back over there to see what those waitress-made mugs look like.

If you broaden your definition of "mug" to include glassware, you'll find a much larger variety of logoed items available.

Speaking of logoed items, Daga is most certainly in business, but they don't manufacture mugs anymore. They diversified into logoed business items and coffee after their restaurant-supply heyday, and mostly use the coffee business name (not Daga). Daga's office is located in Iwilei in the old tin warehouse area across the street from Home Depot and Costco - if you go, you'll see the Daga Hawaii sign at their loading dock, but it's kind of hard to find. I've never gone inside.

Vintage mugs are pretty hard to find - recommend looking at my post in the "Antique Shopping Tips while in Hawaii" thread in this forum.

Good luck.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 11:43 pm   Permalink

Two other things - we went to that Lahaina Mai Tai Bar (on Front Street) in November; it's nice with a light wood/lauhala sleek tropical interior. Tons of Mai Tai buckets and scorpion bowls, but nothing you probably couldn't get off eBay. I don't think any of the mugs had logos.

The Thor Stor in the civilian-accessible portion of the Navy Exchange at Makalapa still has lots of Tiki Farm mugs, as well as some Gecko and Squid scorpion bowls. They still have copies of Tiki Quest from the batch without self-ejecting pages, so you can pick that up if you haven't grabbed a copy yet. No price deals here, however.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 5:32 pm   Permalink

Koolau...

Do they still have that huge Swap meet at Aloha Stadium ? I've never been, but I imagine there must be some collectible stuff from back in the day.

Also, if I remember correctly there is a Hawaiiana collectible fair in Honolulu once year.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2009-01-16 5:44 pm   Permalink

Hawaii All-Collectors Show- Hawaii's largest collectibles & antiques show. This year's show is now history. Next year's show will be held on July 17-18, 2009.

Wiki Wiki One Day Show- A one day vintage collectibles & Hawaiiana show. Next show is on Sunday March 29,2009.

and yes, the Aloha Stadium Swapmeet is on Weds, Sat & Sunday
http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 7:56 pm   Permalink

Dogbytes has it right, but Sunday is really the only day for collectibles at Aloha Stadium. Wednesday and Saturday are mostly tourist vendor stuff in the outer parking rings - the Sunday action is in the inner rings on the mauka side of Aloha Stadium.

Real hit and miss for tiki items and mugs - there's really only one vendor (Bob) who always has tiki stuff. There's much more hawaiiana available, including aloha wear and monkeypod bowls, but mostly it's generic antiques, household items, used clothing, etc. Still worth a look - especially on a beautiful clear Sunday morning.

After you're done, head across the street to the McDonalds for Portuguese sausage, eggs and rice. Can't go wrong.

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-16 17:44, dogbytes wrote:
Hawaii All-Collectors Show- Hawaii's largest collectibles & antiques show. This year's show is now history. Next year's show will be held on July 17-18, 2009.

Wiki Wiki One Day Show- A one day vintage collectibles & Hawaiiana show. Next show is on Sunday March 29,2009.
www.ukulele.com/waikiki

and yes, the Aloha Stadium Swapmeet is on Weds, Sat & Sunday
http://www.alohastadiumswapmeet.net/

Aloha! One more show in February...
Hawaii Collector's Expo '09
Feb 20-22 2009
Neal S Blaisdell Center Exhibition Hall

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/eve/984951261.html

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation