[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Show Us Your Swag Lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Show Us Your Swag Lamps
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 11:35 pm   Permalink

Here's a cool lamp that I picked up at the Antiques By The Bay swap meet at the ol' Naval Air Station in Alameda a while back. It's made by the Beaumont Glass Company, still in it's original box, which is probably why it has survived all these years. The globe is pretty large, a 16 incher in diameter - it's like the size of a large beach ball, about the same size as one of my large vintage fish floats. It has a really cool amber tortoise finish.

Speaking of fish floats, as you can probably surmise from the above pic, I plan to stick a small pufferfish into the lamp, and hang it in the tiki bar area. Here are some pics of various colored bulbs that I used in the puffer, or as I like to call it, Fun With Puffer Fish.

First up, green.

Here is the puffer, sitting on the other side of the lamp, rather than inside it. The light has to shine a farther distance and through two pieces of glass, but it helps give an idea of what color would look good inside. While green initially looked good, it didn't really jump out when it was behind the globe.

Next up, blue.

Blue ended up being even worse looking behind the globe than green.

Time for red. Red looks great.

Red really looks good in low light conditions, and photographs well in low light conditions too. So far it's the best contender.

Next up, my favorite, amber.

Amber really brought out the detail in the amber globe lamp. It really popped when it was behind the globe lamp. Plus it adds a nice vintage touch. I'll be going with this color.

Last one, white.

White photographed the best, but to the naked eye it was harsh. In comparison, amber looked better, so I'll go with amber instead.

I hope you enjoyed tonight's episode of Fun With Puffer Fish!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-14 09:13 am   Permalink

My swag lamp is an original ceiling lamp from an old Sambo's restaurant. The sambo's where I live closed many years ago and was converted into a Chinese restaurant with many of the original fixtures in place. I happened to be driving by when the Chinese restaurant was closing and they let me buy a bunch of stuff from the restaurant, including about 6 of the ceiling lamps. My picture isn't very good, the lamp is really bright orange.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-19 08:23 am   Permalink

yesterdays score

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-27 05:21 am   Permalink

Just sharing these instructions I saw for making a globe lamp, thought it was a great idea.

Let's be honest, virtual maps and travel resources on the internet have made globes obsolete. Today, they serve more as decorative artwork that adds a small touch of nostalgia to a home. If you don't have a globe, they're fairly common in thrift or secondhand stores. However, most won't be in pristine condition -- and that's where this DIY comes in. It turns a damaged globe into a lamp shade for a surprising look. Keep reading for the simple how-to. First, find the exact center between the top and bottom of the globe, and draw a horizontal line around the entire globe. This will most likely follow the equator line. Use a saw to cut the globe in half. Next, measure the diameter of the socket attached to an electrical cord, and use the measurement to draw a circle at the top of your half-globe. (Tip: It'll be easier for you to install the socket later if the circle is slightly bigger than the socket.) Cut out the circle, and insert the electrical cord, prongs first, from the inside of the globe. Finally, screw in a lightbulb and hang. Repeat these steps with the remaining globe half. And, don't forget to admire your clever upcycled vintage lamp from below.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 08:46 am   Permalink

I like it!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-29 01:08 am   Permalink

I finally got this beauty hung after waiting for three years.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-29 1:17 pm   Permalink

Trader Tom that is beautiful.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-30 02:04 am   Permalink

Love all swag and all light!

[ This Message was edited by: tikipaka 2013-08-30 02:07 ]

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation