FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Road Trippin' to the Oasis!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Road Trippin' to the Oasis!
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-22 9:15 pm   Permalink

YOur confusion probably arose from the fact that the Frenchy Polynesia fete was this past Friday. We're glad you're going to make it. Look for roll call in Events soon!

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-23 07:58 am   Permalink

Humu, that's a hell of a trip! I'd love to get a TC group together on the Thursday before Oasis as Martin suggested. That would definitely be fun!

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-23 07:59 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-23 12:21 pm   Permalink

Mmmmm...Tiki Ti on Thursday! I had better be packed by then.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-23 3:24 pm   Permalink

stop it, you guys are making me crazy. Im now gonna have to take off another day just so i dont miss out on anything. Im gonna try and come in late thursday night 10ish so i can meet up with everyone that night, tiki ti's sounds great but whatever everyone else is doing is fine with me.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-23 3:42 pm   Permalink

Remember, it is Mother's Day weekend, and there will be plenty of other visitors to Palm Springs other than us! You don't want to spend extra time at a restaurant waiting for a table when you could make a reservation, eat, and get back to the fun with the rest of us at The Tropics!

Some of you will probably just make this your "liquid diet weekend", but here are some of my recommendations:
Breakfast: Sherman's Deli, Billy Reeds, IHOP-(it actually is a pretty good one).
Lunch: Sherman's Deli, Billy Reeds, Del Rios, Hamburger Hamlet, and, of course, the famous "only open for lunch" Tyler's Burgers (get the sliders!)
Dinner: Davey's Hideaway, My Way Restaurant, Kaiser Grill, The Palm Springs Chop House, or "The Deck" which is above the Chop House with a lighter menu (and easier on the wallet), Lord Fletcher Inn, The Falls Steakhouse & Martini Bar.

....just to name a few I've frequented.

For more, you can check out
The Desert Dining Guide, and while your at it, you can check out the local publication, Palm Springs Life Magazine, especially if you're going to get in a round of golf. Sorry, no tiki golf there, unless Chiki & CrazyAl want to lug some carvings onto the course! Maybe Weird Uncle can stroll & strum on his uke for entertainment!

PalmSpringin'CaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-23 6:36 pm   Permalink

For ease of reference, I've started keeping an intinerary on my website (lots of details still need to get worked out, and days are likely to change, especially for the Bay Area stuff):

http://www.flipnik.com/

I'll try to keep it updated with my plans as the develop. Maybe in a few days we can start some roll calls.

Thanks so much to everyone who's posted here or emailed me so far -- your suggestions & invitations have been great, and I'm starting to get really excited for this trip. It's going to be a blast!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-04-24 4:04 pm   Permalink

Really- seriously consider the Madonna Inn if you haven't been there before.

And let me know if you want raisins in Fresno- I got the hookup.

And Fresno guys- don't forget to show her the Leilani sign and the Days Inn pool tikis, both on Blackstone.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-25 1:53 pm   Permalink

We are right up the road from T-Vic's, so just say when and we'll be there.

I second the Madonna Inn visit. Amazing theme rooms. I almost wish we were driving to the Oasis so we could stop there for a night.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-26 2:46 pm   Permalink

We'll be coming out I-215 to I-10. Gotta stop off and see those two big stone dinosaurs (a T rex & a brontosaurus) you know...the place that was in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure". Don't rmember the name of the spot or exactly where along the route it is but you can't miss it. One even has stairs that lead up to the top to a museum of local artifacts & a dinosuar gift shop for the kiddies (natch). Check it out if you're comin' that way. I think there's even a truck stop diner where you can get a cold beer & a slider if you're so inclined.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-26 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-26 14:46, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
...Gotta stop off and see those two big stone dinosaurs (a T rex & a brontosaurus) you know...the place that was in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"...

ShipWreck~

If you haven't been out there for some time, there is evidence of corporations f'ing up those dinosaurs nostalgic presence. You'll see that (I believe) Del Taco is now blocking the view of the dinosaurs from the highway. There are a few other new buildings that are blocking the view too, but it's the Del Taco that is the worst culprit. If it wasn't for the long neck on the dinosaurs you could very well pass it up.

I'll take a picture on the way to show the rest of you what I mean.

DinoCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-26 4:52 pm   Permalink

Damn their eyes! Is nothing sacred anymore? To add insult to injury, I HATE Del Taco. Couldn't they have at least put up an In N Out burger? I say we all boycot Del Taco until they capitulate and remove this blight from our land.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-28 12:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-26 16:52, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Damn their eyes! Is nothing sacred anymore? To add insult to injury, I HATE Del Taco. Couldn't they have at least put up an In N Out burger? I say we all boycot Del Taco until they capitulate and remove this blight from our land.

Mmmmmm Del Taco. Now I'm hungry for chili fries
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-06 7:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Mr.Shipwreck...the Dinos are at the Eat Wheel Inn off of I-10 in Cabazon between Banning and Palm Springs turn off. Do you have an ETA that your going to be there so I could join up with your caravan?

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-07 11:10 am   Permalink

Tikimama, and others going to the Bahooka--don't forget to check out their website and search around and print the $5 coupon.
by the way--tikimama, what day are you having lunch there?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 6:36 pm   Permalink

TR 5-0
The only ETA I have so far is our check in time at the Playa Resort (I call it the Last Resort because it's at the far end of the strip) is 2:00. We're planning on leaving home at noon. As far as a trip itinerary goes...imagine the chase scene from "It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World" and that's us on a road trip. I'd like to say we'll drop in there at about 1:30 but I won't swear to it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation