FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events What's on in New York!
What's on in New York!
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 1:12 pm   Permalink

Hi
We are coming over to New York City on February 11th for 6 days, and wondered if there was anything happening there. We are going to visit Otto's Shrunken Head, but can any of you tell us where else is good to visit and if there is anything on while we are there?
Would appreciate very much.
Thanks.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2009-01-16 2:26 pm   Permalink

the Westminster Dog Show, puny in comparison to Crufts ~ but its pretty nifty.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-17 12:12 pm   Permalink

Not sure if your request is regarding things to do in general or just drinking, but knowing the TC crowd, I will assume the latter.

There's not much tiki in NYC, but PLENTY of great cocktail bars, some that do tiki drinks on request.

Elettaria is a good restaurant that has navy grog, mai tai and zombies on their cocktail list, and they will also make ancient mariners or whatever else they can with what they have on hand. They have the grog log books for reference and the bartenders know their stuff.

For great cocktail bars, Flatiron Lounge, Pegu Club, Milk & Honey, PDT, Death & Company, Yerba Buena (also a great restaurant) should be places to put on your list. That's not even thinking about all the classic great old hotel bars around the city.

Let me know if you need more specifics regarding finding any of these places or if you have any other questions.

Also, if you're up for meeting some NYC ohana, let us know and maybe we can arrange that too!

enjoy your trip!

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 9:12 pm   Permalink

New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up and the Battery's down.

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 12:23 am   Permalink

Are there any good thrift/vintage and vinyl record shops in the manhattan area worth visiting?

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-09 08:09 am   Permalink

Best clothes:
Cheap Jack's Vintage Clothing
841 Broadway (@ 13th St); Union Sq

Best knick knacks:
Atomic Passion
430 E. 9th St

Best mid-century mod furniture (that I can't afford)
Las Venus
163 Ludlow Street

Las Venus at ABC
888 Broadway (on 2nd floor)

I have no suggestions for record shops, as my fave store closed last year But I'm sure if you wander down in the village you will find something.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 08:56 am   Permalink

Best surviving record stores in Manhattan:

Academy LPs (pop/rock/jazz LPs)
415 E. 12 ST. (Between 1st Ave and Ave A)
NEW YORK, NY 10009
Monday Through Sunday 12:00 AM to 8:00 PM

Big City Records
521 E. 12th St., New York, NY 10009
nr. Ave. A 212-539-0208

The Sound library
165 Orchard Street
open every day from 12 - 8 PM
phone : 212.460.4800

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 12:50 am   Permalink

Hi Leisuremaster
Sorry for the delay in replying, but have had alot of family illness, so have not been around alot, but we are still flying out today, so will arrive tonight for 5 days. We have booked up alot of stuff to do already, but if I send you a private e-mail with my cell phone number on, perhaps you can text me your phone number and I will ring you when we are there about possibly meeting up with some of the Tiki Central crowd? Either that or e-mail me back on here and I will try and pick up when we are at the hotel, but don't know defiantely if that is possible until we get there?
Thanks everyone for your help, can't wait to get to the Big Apple!

Trader Tark
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-11 07:45 am   Permalink

Cool , hope you have a good trip.
Let us know how you get on.

We're also going over to NYC for 5 days in early march.

Tark

View Profile of Trader Tark Send a personal message to Trader Tark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 7:59 pm   Permalink

That Cheap Jack's location closed down.

Quote:

On 2009-02-09 08:09, Pyro wrote:
Best clothes:
Cheap Jack's Vintage Clothing
841 Broadway (@ 13th St); Union Sq

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skeeter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-13 08:10 am   Permalink

Is Waikiki Wally's still around?
www.waikikiwallys.com

View Profile of skeeter Send a personal message to skeeter  Goto the website of skeeter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 08:15 am   Permalink

Wally's looked very closed last week. big tiki from out front is gone, gone gone.

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 08:47 am   Permalink

Wally's died an ugly painful death. Tiki in Manhattan has in the last decade been characterized by reasonably good decor, inappropriate music, and below acceptable exotic cocktails. The sort of good news is that great exotic cocktails are now available, admittedly without the proper environment. Check out Death & Co., Elettaria, and Sunday nights at PDT (look for bartender Jerry) for mai tais, zombies et al of great quality and usually served in proper vessels.

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 09:42 am   Permalink

The Navy Grog at Eletaria is simply faboo!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation