FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Trying out glass etching with some vintage tiki graphics
Trying out glass etching with some vintage tiki graphics
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-17 1:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I was having some fun and trying my hand at some glass etching. Used some vintage tiki graphics and etched them on to some new glasses. What do you think?? These were quite a pain to get a good photograph of them. Any suggestions? Would it help to have them filled with a dark liquid?

Kauai Surf Hotel logo

Tiki from an old Matson letterhead

Philadelphia Pub Tiki

Mahalo!

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-17 2:57 pm   Permalink

Very nice work Mo-Eye, nice detail and good even coverage. Using etching cream and contact paper mask? It's difficult to do with a drinking glass but you could do a tiki in the forground (outside of the glass) and some big tropical leaves in the background (inside the glass) - or even 3 layers; outside, inside, and back of glass.

I think the photos look great like they are. Etching is a subtle art - sometimes hard to even see, let alone photograph.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-17 4:22 pm   Permalink

Very SWANK!
Nicely done.

S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-19 12:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys.

I started with the contact paper, but found it was much easier to just print the graphics right on to shipping labels, stick on the glass, and cut away.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-smith
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-19 12:37 pm   Permalink

WOW! Awesome work!!! -very elegant.

View Profile of tiki-smith Send a personal message to tiki-smith  Goto the website of tiki-smith     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-19 4:23 pm   Permalink

Shipping labels in the printer - Smart!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-19 6:32 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more I just finished.

NY Bali Hai

Another Kauai Surf

and a Trader Vic's

There's a bunch of subtle detail around this guy's mouth that you can't see.

Mahalo!

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 1:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

I had some time and did a few more designs - I love doing these!

Tiki Ho maori face

Set of 4 Waikikian cut outs

Aloha!!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-23 2:50 pm   Permalink

Mo-Eye - the blue glasses are sweet, the etching shows up so much better than on clear glass. Are they regular colored glasses?

Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 3:20 pm   Permalink

MDM,

It's actually just the lighting. In regular light, the etching on the blue glasses is very subtle, almost hard to see. I photographed them in a dark room, with a restricted light underneath and a flash, and the etching just popped out in the photos.

It was all luck!

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 3:37 pm   Permalink

Man, these are cool, are the glasses still food safe after the etching? if so i really want to make some for my home bar. I really dig the cut outs too, nice work!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 4:56 pm   Permalink

Yes, completely food safe.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 10:09 pm   Permalink

very cool Mo-eye!
You've mastered this in an amazing amount of time!
what tikibar wouldn't want the whole set of these?

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation