FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Faux tapa cloth painting?
Faux tapa cloth painting?
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-18 10:48 am   Permalink

does anybody know how to do this? we have about 60 ft by 4 ft wall expanse underneath our west facing window in our basement lounge. we're thinking about doing a tapa cloth design on it. Has anyone got any experience doing this and/ or advice on rollers, stencils, freehand, etc ?

our project :
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30989&forum=18&hilite=palapala

Mahaloz
Palapala / Lopaka

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-18 5:38 pm   Permalink

Check out Howland's method:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20343&forum=18&start=45

Quote:

On 2007-04-10 21:58, Howland wrote:
Still working on the old 'Hukilau Hut' as well as converting my basement into a nice, dark tiki room/bar area. I've started (and finished) some faux tapa paint effects on the walls. I've also got 100 feet x 3 feet of lauhala and lots of reed fencing and bamboo to get started with. I did the faux tapa with some little stamps I cut out of a piece of a foam camping mat and glued to small peices of 1/4 in. plywood.

Here I've applied a dark green, almost black wash over the gold/black tapa pattern so it wouldn't be so stark. Also painted the ceiling vey, very dark green.

Here's some shots of the stamps I made. I filled in some of the details on the walls by hand/paintbrush.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-18 9:31 pm   Permalink

Looks like Howland has it figured out. I did a similar deal on cloth on a smaller scale. Created stamps from wood blocks and foam sheets. I needed cotton shorts with a Polynesian print for a firespinning routine and all I could find was microfiber polyester. So I bought plain cotton shorts and stamped a tapa pattern on them, worked out pretty well.

EDIT - Sorry, I gave credit to Hewey instead of Howland

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-01-19 05:32 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 2:44 pm   Permalink

WOW! great work Howland!
What kind of camping mat did you use?

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation