FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Islander, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
The Islander, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 1:50 pm   Permalink

Have you seen those pictures of the Islander ?

It's from a facebook page, dedicated to the 50's. I asked for more information. Amazing view of the inside, rickshaw...

All the image links are busted, please see the re-posted images below.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2012-11-11 17:45 ]

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 1:58 pm   Permalink

Wow! The shots of the entrance with the lagoon and outrigger are amazing!

Sad that color versions of these probably don't exist.

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-07-24 14:11 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 1:59 pm   Permalink

WOW! WOW! WOW! Thanks for sharing those..they are AMAZING!

When someone discovers time travel zap me back to when those pics were taken!

And is that vicious virgin mug the monkey is drinking from?

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-24 6:01 pm   Permalink

Virani,

Those photos are amazing, thanks for posting them. Great to see that huge Abalone Shell wall, and that huge Tiki pole out front.

Have not researched Facebook much for historical Tiki. How did you find them??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 12:43 am   Permalink

I've found those pics in a french page dedicated to the 50's (even if they have a lot from the 60's) : https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fifties/236019136488588

I asked them where they found those pictures, no news yet. they have an album with tiki postcards and pictures.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 01:05 am   Permalink

I'm sure those pictures are from the same photographer as the one for the Life magazine. maybe they published those for another mag...
Do you think they needed to go on top of the shield sign every night to lit up the torches ?

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-11 2:35 pm   Permalink

It seems that Virani's links for the Islander pictures have disappeared so I thought I would re-post them.

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-11 2:53 pm   Permalink

A pretty amazing ashtray that actually features the Islander logo tiki in its design.

It seems that none of the Islander mugs was actually based on their logo. There is the tiki mug made by Kelvin which is based on The Islander Tiki but I don't think it was actually used at The Islander (does anyone know for sure?).

I have seen that mug in a menu from the Kono Hawaii Restaurant

(courtesy of Arkivatropica)

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 2:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tattoo!

Please everyone use Tiki Central 's own image hosting, it's not perfect but it's easier and more stable than the others.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 5:41 pm   Permalink

Yes, thanks Tattoo. Great pics.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-11 7:32 pm   Permalink

So our existing Tiki Bars are missing live monkeys?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 1:33 pm   Permalink

Oh how fondly I remember this place -- along with The Luau and Billingsley's Outrigger -- when I was a 1960's tyke! I have particularly vivid memories of being taken into The Islander at night, walking up that zig-zagging walkway and then crossing the entry bridge over the mysterious lagoon below (complete with outrigger canoe) and past tall, flaming torches, all the while gazing up, open-mouthed, at that looming, towering facade with all those tiki poles and float lights! A Poly-Pop wonderland indeed! And I guarantee you that if The Islamder were to be suddenly ressurrected in its original location, just the sight of it alone -- especially at night -- would stop traffic and cause fender-benders! It was THAT spectatcular. And I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet on this thread, but their marvelous sign was virtually duplicated by Tucson's Kon-Tiki, and more power to them for keeping a brilliant design wonderfully alive!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation