FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tile mosaic story
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tile mosaic story
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-25 08:19 am   Permalink

Shelley and I were looking at real eastate on my buddies MLS program and I stumbled accross a house in Oceanside with a photo of their dining room:

Notice the mosaic. I wrote the guy and told him I would like to buy it. He wrote me back and told me that in the 50s his Grandfather, his Mother and her siblings made this from a kit. It took them a whole year. It was the only thing he has of his Grandfathers and would be impossible to part with. Damn and for a minute there I thought I had my grubby little fingers on it.
Mahalo,
AL

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2003-03-25 08:21 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-25 08:36 am   Permalink

Nice to have it confirmed that these were made from kits in the 50s! I guess the guy that did mine didn't want to do the whole thing, so he only did the left half. A big Mahalo!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-25 11:20 am   Permalink

Hey aquarj, don't you have something like that hanging in your entry?

--cyn

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-25 11:25 pm   Permalink

Would love to have one of those....someone should re-make that kit!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 10:02 am   Permalink

Just a thought,

Why not try putting those "grubby little fingers" to work and try and make it yourself. I'm sure with just a little effort (i.e. try enlarging the picture of the internet) and use it as a pattern. Everyone has to buy things today, why not try and make it yourself. I'm sure it would be a lot more fun!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 10:18 am   Permalink

You've seen the great mosaics done by Mr. & Mrs. Cheeky? Simply AWESOME!

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/misc/afn

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/misc/afl

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 11:13 am   Permalink

I agree with tikisobayli. We can't afford to put our grubby little fingers on everything tiki we come across, so we make tons of stuff at home ourselves. It saves us money and ends up meaning a lot more to us than the "see it, gotta have it" phenomenon. Al, I've seen you post tons of stuff you make, I'm sure you can tackle this easily! And those mosaics that the Cheeky's made are still amazing!

waikiki

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 10:02, tikisobayli wrote:
Just a thought,

Why not try putting those "grubby little fingers" to work and try and make it yourself. I'm sure with just a little effort (i.e. try enlarging the picture of the internet) and use it as a pattern. Everyone has to buy things today, why not try and make it yourself. I'm sure it would be a lot more fun!

Tikisobayli, it doesn't sound like you know our Al very well. He's posted many pictures here on TC of the various things he's made with his own "grubby little hands" for not only his very own Lagoon Room but for gifts to other members on this board as well.

I think you mis-understood his post...

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-26 11:20 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 11:33 am   Permalink

I've looked into doing my own and the tools and supplies aren't the easiest to find in Phoenix. You can find the basic kits all day. It's a striking mosaic, I'd love to make it.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-25 08:36, TikiHula wrote:
Nice to have it confirmed that these were made from kits in the 50s! I guess the guy that did mine didn't want to do the whole thing, so he only did the left half. A big Mahalo!

Yes, I suspected, but never knew for sure. I know of about 5 in existence, and one of them is the smaller left half, so it must have come in two size versions. Some of them are in different/wrong color combinations. Would love to find the packaging and instructions for this. Al, ask the house owner if they maybe kept that! Does he remember WHERE it was sold and when?

It is really one of my favourite pieces, when I found mine in a store, I could not believe my ears, I thought the guy said $750.-, but he actually said $75.-!!! (...well, it has about five stones missing!)

Look at BOT pages 174/175 for some of the finer details:
The big dark gray horizontal stripe in the left part is a thundercloud, with two diagonal light grey double streaks of rain falling from it. The golden lightning is reflected in the water in three golden spots, just as the sun is reflected on the right. I wonder what the black spots symbolize...
The Volcano eruption cloud has a layer of light grey ash in it that rains down in five little grey pieces in the lower right half of the cloud!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 2:47 pm   Permalink

This is a closer view of the left side of one.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-03-26 14:56 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:27 pm   Permalink

I am sure many of us here COULD make these as there are tons of very creative folks on T.C. However please keep in mind many of us have real jobs and as stated multiple times before these mosaic pieces take a lot of time. I also know glass mosaics are very expensive-it may actually be cheeper to buy some art pieces than make them!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-26 8:58 pm   Permalink

....Time can be more precious than money...and it sucks to have little of either....Mahalo for the picture....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 11:17 am   Permalink

You guys are so defensive. Tikisobayli was simply offering the idea that Al try and make it since he couldn't purchase it. He was just quoting Al by saying "grubby little fingers" and doing so jokingly! I am very aware that Al makes all sorts of nice things and thought this mosaic would be no problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And Laney, just exactly what is a "real job"? Does that mean that some people here have fake ones? Anyway, the mosaic is really cool and Al, you do some really nice work!

waikiki

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 1:13 pm   Permalink

I know what you mean, Waikiki, I am guilty of that myself, it reminds us of the limitations of this way of communicating (as opposed to talking in person):

A message hastily read, just one word overlooked, or even reading it with a different emphasis through a subjective mind, and all of a sudden one takes something personal. Right now everyone is a little on the edge, being broke AND at war is simply stressful. It's nobody's fault.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-03-27 13:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation