FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tile mosaic story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tile mosaic story
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-19 10:33 am   Permalink

I don't know if this will help or not, but one of the mosaic by number companies was
General Crafts Corp, 1964. address was 3031 James St. Baltimore, Md. 21230
They producted kits under the name "Picturesque"
I also have sent out feelers to see if any of todays companies that design custom kits would do a resonable copy of the one you've shown and what that cost might be. As for the above company, I do not know if they are still in business, but I doublt it. They were though as of 1964 though....

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-20 4:36 pm   Permalink

I've long admired that mosiac. After all this posting, I've gotten quite excited, and decided to make my own stained glass version. I've only made a few windows, but I'm told that I'm quite good by the person that taught me that has been doing it for years. Does anyone know the original dimensions of it? I want to try to do it to scale. it should take me a couple of months, what with my horrible schedule of having NO time to myself, doing stained glass, pinstriping, and carving tikis all at once. But Dammit, i've got to try! Any help with dimensions or better pics would be much appreciated!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-10 7:08 pm   Permalink

For those of you interested, I've started my project. Check it out at:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11793&forum=7&3

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-21 3:12 pm   Permalink

edited by me

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:25 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-23 05:16 am   Permalink

i am a tile contractor. to make a mosaic repclca out of tile would be almost impossible at that size, too many tiny cuts. now, if it was done on a floor, or wall at 3x15 feet.... might take several weeks. total cost for materials and tools should be around $200.

there are companys that can make that mosiac for you with a water jet. it will be out of 4x4 tile unassembled. it will be perfect. would take up a large wall or floor.

have fun.

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DropDeadPony

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:10 pm   Permalink

AWESOME!! I have been looking for info on this for years. wondering where it was from. I have a Full size one made from pebbles it appears.and tiny rope. favorite thing ive ever owned for sure.lol ill try and get a pic up here A.s.a.p

my sister came across it like 20yrs ago. was a relic then but in mint shape..ive owned ever since

[ This Message was edited by: DropDeadPony 2009-02-05 21:11 ]

View Profile of DropDeadPony Send a personal message to DropDeadPony      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-02 01:08, woofmutt wrote:
Everyone wants to buy or make things today, why not try and steal one of these mosaics? Many of you know who has them, where they live, what they like to drink and how much they can drink of it...Do the math.

Or you could make it out of something other than tile. Say smashed up Lifesavers you bake in the oven...Or Jelly Bellies! That would be so cool. But seriously, since it would be a decorative wall piece you could use a heavy card stock for a paper mosaic, sealed under several coats of something shiny. Or use vinyl tile, particularly the color flecked ones used in schools and hospitals, they come in a wide variety of colors and they're vomit proof. Both these materials would be a helluva lot easier to cut than glass/ceramic tile but assembly will be just as tedious...So you wouldn't feel like you were cheating much.

This post has been dead for 5 years and suddenly popped up again. But I noticed, even 6 years ago Woofmutt was a smartass!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 06:48 am   Permalink

I would like to point out as with pert near everything I ever post my mosaic comment was built on an undeniable foundation of truth.

In this case: An acceptable mosaic effect can be achieved using easily cut materials. And you wouldn't need a major support post to hang it on.

Also true: You can steal one. Or have one stolen for you by a
master thief. That's is how I recently added a piece of taxidermy to my collection.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DropDeadPony

Posted: 2009-02-06 1:37 pm   Permalink

pics of mosaic!

[ This Message was edited by: DropDeadPony 2009-02-06 13:42 ]

View Profile of DropDeadPony Send a personal message to DropDeadPony      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 6:15 pm   Permalink

Interesting! The Canadian version!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 10:43 pm   Permalink

I have this original mosaic- and I was thinking I could probably take some very detailed section-by-section pics so that those artfully inclined could reproduce it at home by taking my pics and getting the linework down on a board.

Then its just a matter of glueing tiles down to the board.

Its a big beast- like 5 feet wide and weighs so much that I'm almost scared to hang it. Right now its leaning against a wall waiting for the final touches on my tikiroom so I can mount it (in the studs) and I'm still gonna be afraid of that thing coming down on me.

I just took a close look at it, and its made up of those "italian" glass tiles like those ones used in the giant mosaic in Cinderella's castle.

No grout to be seen, just real close placement of all the pieces.

I would suspect that today there may be a newer alternative material that looks much the same, but is lighter and easy to cut with tile clippers or heavy duty scissors. Some art supplier has to have something that could fit the bill.

All you'd need at that point is alot of material/colors, a thick piece of plywood and the master linework.

Lemme know if anyone is interested and when I can get to it (theres a bar sitting in front of it right now- needs to be moved) I'll get some good pics..

because you know.. all the FUN is in making it yourself..

EDIT: Looked around a bit online for mosaic supplies.. couldnt find anything light and plastic- but these seem to be the kind of material that its made from:

http://monstermosaicsstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1894175&showprevnext=1

That site also has the glue and clippers for the tiles.. sounds like it could be a fun project- lay the board down on your dining room table and work on it a couple hours each evening..

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2009-02-06 23:01 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 4:36 pm   Permalink

Check this out, Reyn Spooner made a shirt from the Tiki Mosaic.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 8:05 pm   Permalink

Anybody have one they want to trade out?

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManFromT.I.K.I.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-19 7:37 pm   Permalink

Here are some "homage" pieces I made for serving trays. My initial idea was to do a half size reproduction of the original mosaic, but it seemed too daunting for my first attempt. It was a really fun, if time consuming, project.

[ This Message was edited by: ManFromT.I.K.I. 2009-02-20 10:37 ]

View Profile of ManFromT.I.K.I. Send a personal message to ManFromT.I.K.I.      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-20 09:24 am   Permalink

Fatuhiva

I would be very graeful to get detailed photos of the mosaic. Ive been drooling for years and your photos could be the mojo I need to finally build one.

The hardest part of this project (brainwise) will be laying out the pattern for the tiles.

Thanks
Dave

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation