[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tile mosaic story
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tile mosaic story
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 10:14 am   Permalink

Me too - would love to have sectional photo details - I have a bartop that I've been thinking of doing something like this with.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 10:36 am   Permalink

Me Three.

Does somebody out there have a picture of the other half of the mosaic? The one with the fishes as shown on the shirt.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManFromT.I.K.I.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-20 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-20 10:36, Dustycajun wrote:
Me Three.

Does somebody out there have a picture of the other half of the mosaic? The one with the fishes as shown on the shirt.

DC

Here are two versions of the whole mosaic:

View Profile of ManFromT.I.K.I. Send a personal message to ManFromT.I.K.I.      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-20 11:39 am   Permalink

Well would'nt you know it, TC already had a post for all of the Mosaic stuff.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21793&forum=12&19

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 1:19 pm   Permalink

Ah here it is a year later..

I almost forgot I had made the offer to photo my mosaic.

I still plan to do it.. so stay tuned.

I'll try and get the height on the images set to the actual real life height, so with any luck if you print it out, it will be at 1:1 scale

don't forget to check out the incredible catalog it came from here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21793&forum=12&start=last&

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva 2010-02-12 13:29 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 3:26 pm   Permalink

I remembered this thread when my boyfriend brought me a mosaic made by his father in the late 50's. It has been stored for years as it does't go in his americana decorated home. Needless to say it has found a very comfortable spot in my house. We were excited to find this very kit in the aforementioned catalog. It solved a mystery for him. He never understood how his father managed to have an inspired moment of artistic talent. Now he knows it was a kit that he had customized.

Here it is above my aquarium.

Aquarium closeup
Before you ask, the cool volcano come from Amazon.

I'll throw in my own "gravel" art piece. I would love to redo it to correct some design flaws. Someday.... My artistic genes are little deplete.

Thanks for looking.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 5:24 pm   Permalink

Those are both terrific and look wonderful in your rooms. I look forward to seeing them in person. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-22 6:30 pm   Permalink

Finally after many weeks of work and about 300 bucks its almost finished.

[ This Message was edited by: gonzo 2012-04-22 18:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gonzo 2012-04-22 18:35 ]

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 08:05 am   Permalink

Great job! What's that book there on the table?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 3:43 pm   Permalink

For only $1200 more, you could've just bought this one in Long Beach!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 4:17 pm   Permalink

$1,200.
Holy crap!
& think y'all did way better with the $300. Definitely more FUN!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-05 9:20 pm   Permalink

Finished!!!!at last . Its a bit larger than the original kit. This one is 19X75 the old kits were 16x75. If you want one have at it. Your results will probably be better than anything you could find. If you could find it at all..

[ This Message was edited by: gonzo 2012-05-05 21:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gonzo 2012-05-06 21:44 ]

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 08:38 am   Permalink

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Any advice on types of tile, sources, backing used, etc., etc? Would be interesting to hear any tips you've got from the Make Your Own perspective.

Mahalo!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-06 8:14 pm   Permalink

Why certainly.

Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best. Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size. Buy some carbon paper at the wood crafter supply store. Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper. Tile colors are whatever you like. I used 3/4 inch vitrous "kaleidescope" colors. I bought mine at Mosaic Art Supply. Buy some tile nippers. Use weldbond glue as the website says.

Use plenty of glue then have at it.

Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across. The random water triangle pattern was the hardest part.

Regards

El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 2:42 pm   Permalink

Gonzo,

Great work! If you don't mind a few more questions.

"Take a jpeg of whichever one you like the best."

-I'm guessing you mean from this forum or wherever you can find one correct?

"Enlarge it to whatever size you want to make. Then print it at kinkos full size."

-Does the image not become pixelated and distorted bown up that big? Are you making a black and white print the actual size you want the mosaic?

"Trace the paper onto the plywood using carbon paper."

-You mean trace the image correct?

"Think hard about how you start because you must carry it through all the way across."

-Can you expand on this? Do you mean what style used or how you lay the tiles must be carried through out?

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone actually seen one of the kits? Was the plywood pre-printed with the design layout or was there a copy of the design you had to trace onto your own plywood?

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation