FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?

You are viewing a single post from the search result.
view the entire topic
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 10:28 am   Permalink

Beg to differentiate, Lucas: In my mind your music has its place in the Tiki REVIVAL, today, and thus it can be "Tiki" to the Tiki worshippers of today, just as sexy Hula girls are a part of it. But historically, it is Polynesian pop, or more specifically Hawaiiana --it predates the Tiki period, just like Don The Beachcomber and Trader Vic do, when they were not Tiki.

And folks, do not take Super Eight's question as a statement of fact --it is a mere group of QUESTIONS, albeit asked in a very polemic and provocative way, as if the broad spectrum of posts here on TC (on original Oceanic Art in books and museums, on Coco Joe's and vacation tips in Hawaii, etc.) does not exist or would be constantly attacked by so-called purists. But is that really so?

I know there are a lot of folks here that do not want to THINK about Tiki culture, just see it as fun or as mug collecting hobby, and are annoyed by my "serious" specifications and differentiations about it --but that (AND the events and cocktails and music) is MY greatest fun I find in it.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-23 10:39 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation