FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Paperclay and other abominations
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Paperclay and other abominations
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-24 08:57 am   Permalink

To those familiar with the characteristics and limitations of regulsr clay, paperclay seems like a mythical beast. It’s fabled advantages over regular clay include;
Increased strength in greenware
Dramatically decreased shrinkage
Decreased fired weight
Decreased cost if your make it yourself since you extend your clay with free paper
And most incredible, the ability to mix wet, dry, and fired clay all together

My “local” (130 miles away) clay shop doesn’t sell any paper clay and I’m too cheap to pay shipping so I decided to try my hand at making some. I looked at a few methods and decided on the one listed at
http://www.ceramicstoday.com/howto/htpaperclay.com It called for 200 grams of newspaper per kilo (2 lbs) of clay. I weight out the paper in folded sheets (should have counted how many sheets make 200 gm) then fed it through a shredder.

I put the shreds into a stockpot and boiled it for about half an hour. I read in another recipe to add a couple drops of dish soap to the pot but I hear some people say that clay and soap don’t mix so you might not want to do that. I can say that the paper strips really started to break down after the addition of the soap. I boiled and stired the paper until it turned into a grey gruel and set it off to cool.

In the meantime I measured out 2 lbs of clay, broke it up into little pieces, and put it in a bucket with just enough water to cover.

After the paper pulp and the clay slip had set overnight, I mixed the clay into the water well to make a slip and poured the paper pulp into a collander to drain. Here’s where the story unravels… I had chosen this recipe because it had clearcut weights: 200 gms of paper per kilo of clay. But 200 grams of newspaper makes a whole buttload of paper pulp! Much more volume than the original 2 lbs of clay. That just didn’t seem right.

So I just grabbed up a big handful of pulp, dumped it into my clap slip and mixed it well using my hands and a wire whisk. So much for science and ratios!

Now to dry off the excess water, wedge it, and see what I've got.

Anyone out there have any experience making or using paperclay?

I'm gonna sit right here, I'm gonna watch the sun
Disappear into the ocean, it's been years since I smelled this salty sea.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-05-20 19:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-07-29 12:10 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 09:13 am   Permalink

wow..
it's like a clay crackhouse you got goin on!
Mike-you are the brave explorer!
charting into unknown realms and tackling it!
Kudos!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-24 4:27 pm   Permalink

It seems that suddenly everyone is talking about paperclay, I spotted Vantiki discussing using paperclay on his art thread and the tutor at the ceramics class I've just started swears by paperclay.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-24 5:00 pm   Permalink

LLT, more like a clay meth-lab. It's a good thing my wife is out of town today- I don't have a plaster bat to dry this slop, so I dumped it out on the kitchen counter and put a fan on it. I go by every so often and stir it

I heard about paperclay several months ago from VanTiki but apparently it has been around for decades. Carol Farrow from England was using it in the '70s but it has arguably been around since the ancient Egyptians added straw to their clay.

To add to it's list of incredible characteristics - it doesn't warp like regular clay, and it can be glaze fired without a bisque firing.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 9:30 pm   Permalink

Your Insane! I love that about you.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-25 4:32 pm   Permalink

You gotta get the book Paper Clay by Rosette Gault. There are entire chapters on making all different kinds of Paper clay - even paper clay casting slip! You are the man for mixing your own! I am waaaaaay too chicken

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-28 7:52 pm   Permalink

I guess I'll have to break down and make a plater bat. My paper clay slurry has been sitting in an open bucket for 4 days and still hasn't dried to clay consistency yet. I'M NOT A PATIENT MAN DAMMIT!!!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:31 pm   Permalink

So after 12 days of sitting in an open bucket, my paperclay slurry has finally dried enough to start resembling clay. Still too wet to work with but it's getting there The canvas is helping wick out the extra moisture, should be ready to play with in a day or so. Then I found out if it works or if I have wasted 2 weeks of my life

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-23 07:44 am   Permalink

I don't really understand how this paperclay is supposed to work but I'm not one to let lack of knowledge get in my way

I wanted to build this Hawaiian warclub with shark teeth. I planned to make the club and push the teeth in from the inside. Since the paperclay dries stronger I figured I would be less likely to break teeth made of paperclay rather than regular clay. I know you can use "wet on dry" with paperclay but only the teeth (not the club) are paperclay so I don't know how that will work out. I did a test tile with a tooth sticking through it and it seemed to work OK. The tooth was a little loose in the tile but when I glazed both sides that fixed it. We'll see what happens when I fire it. (The woodgrained clay is a brown and a tan clay marbled together)

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 08:04 am   Permalink

MDM,
glazing paper clay? this is new to me. I have worked with paperclay, made my own a couple years back, and have the premade powder to mix with water called Celluclay but was completely unaware it had a fireable ceramics application. I would have assumed even at decal firing temps the paper clay would burn to nothing. So i am really intrigued, and a paper clay slip, really want to try that for non fire applications, very cool. looking forward to hearing more about your trials with it and to searching out the reference material about its applications.
edit: i just reread the top of the thread, i get it now, the paper clay acts as a filler, so it does burn out, leaving a lighter weight bisque, similar to using cotton and doilies in slip and firing them out to leave the shape, cool, will have to try it out

[ This Message was edited by: oceaotica 2009-02-23 08:20 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-23 08:11 am   Permalink

MDM-CHARTER OF UNKNOWN TERRITORY!
we salute you!

hope the paperclay glazin will work
great mug/weapon!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-24 06:40 am   Permalink

Here's an example of what can be done with paper-clay, the Plumeria Hibiscus and Orchids in this arrangement were made by (Not my site) http://www.islandflowerstudio.com. The Hibiscus, Plumeria and yellow, orange and pink Orchids were made by her. She uses pastels to make her paint...

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: pwest71 2009-02-24 06:40 ]

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-24 12:12 pm   Permalink

There are two different products called paperclay, it confused me too. These flowers are made of an air-dry paper mâché type product made of mostly cellulose fibers with a glue for a binder. The ceramic paperclay is at least half ceramic clay with about 20-50% cellulose fiber added in and is kiln fired.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-25 9:10 pm   Permalink

PAPERCLAY VICTORY!!!

The warclub fired fine, no problem with the dry clay stuck into the wet clay but that's not the exciting part; I managed to break off one of the shark teeth after everything was all bone dry leaving only a stump. I molded a new tooth on top of the dry stump and it looks like it worked! There's no way you can do that with regular clay!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-12 6:45 pm   Permalink

Today I bought 25 lbs of WC953, Max's Paperclay
"Fires gray-stony-white in reduction at cone 10, off white at cone 5 oxidation, and bright white at cone 05 (raku). It is a medium textured, low shrinkage body designed for large-scale hand-built sculpture and tile work where thick cross sections (up to 1 inch) are anticipated. Contains fine and medium mesh grog."

I'll let you know how it works out

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation