FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Paperclay and other abominations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Paperclay and other abominations
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 08:00 am   Permalink

let's see the club,bub...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-13 08:10 am   Permalink

Here ya go LLT

I think it turned out a bit clunky and Neanderthal instead of gracefully Polynesian, looked like something GROG should carry

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 10:11 pm   Permalink

Very nice Mike. This is one of my favorites of yours.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 10:25 pm   Permalink

That is SUPERCOOL. I love the faux wood finish. Just awesome.

How much did the 25 lbs of paperclay cost?

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-15 12:45 pm   Permalink

Mr 3P! The faux wood is marbled brown and white clay, the teeth are homemade paperclay. I think I paid about $15 for 25 lbs of the commercial stuff that I picked up this week, not too bad. Got a small project in mind for the paperclay, hope to try it out this weekend.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 12:54 pm   Permalink

Cool club ya got there Mike!
Can you tell the difference between the
clay club and the paper clay teeth?

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-15 4:24 pm   Permalink

Jason, after the clay was glazed, there's no visible difference. I used the paperclay because it stronger when dried and unfired. I made the teeth and let them dry, then pushed them through the wet clay mug from the inside. Dried regular clay would be too brittle for that.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-20 7:07 pm   Permalink

I wanted to put paperclay "through the gauntlet" so to speak, I am made a ceramic gauntlet sword holder (sorry, it's not even remotely tiki). I think I have violated all of the potter's rules and maybe even some of the Geneva Conventions. It varies in thickness with about 1 inch being the thickest. Here are the laws I flaunted:

I added wet clay to dry clay

I force dried it in 48 hours (1 inch thick, from bag to kiln in 2 days!)

I transported it, unprotected, when bone dry

I glazed it unfired, combining the bisque and glaze firings (not the hand, another piece of paperclay) Glaze was glossy with no pits, craters, etc.

The only torture I didn’t try was putting partially dried clay in the kiln, maybe I’ll try that next.

This is Laguna WC953 "Max's Paperclay". It is a high fire clay but they say it can be low fired, I chose it over the other paperclays they had because it fires white. I wish I had the background and education to describe it's characteristics but I don't. So instead I'll compare and contrast it to the EM347 I usually use. The EM347 contains quite a bit of talc and feels silky, the paperclay has fine and coarse grog along with the paper fibers, it feels much grittier. I love the way the EM347 works when it's leatherhard, it carves beautifully into tiny chips and allows you to carve fine details. The paperclay's fibers grab and clog your tools, pulling away little bits of clay instead of carving cleanly. It also seems that the paperclay dries up faster while you're trying to work with it. In addition to paperclay's "rule breaking" abilities, it allegedly fires lighter. But I made 2 pedants as identical as I could, the paperclay ended up weighing about 3% more than the EM347.

So I guess, just like any project, you pick the material that best suits the job. If you want fine detail, paper clay is out. If you need a quick project, need a wet on dry technique, or need unfired strength then paperclay is great.

Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 11:47 am   Permalink

Wow, pretty cool info. I think I'm beginning
to understand paperclay a little. Just seemed like
an oxymoron before. Push that envelope Mike!
Cool sword holder!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 9:20 pm   Permalink

Dang ! That club did turn out killer!
the grains give it a weird eerie otherworldly cartoony feel..
SUCCESS!
and that awesome "iron" glove holder!
FUDGEEEEEEEE!
grab some buttah cause you are on a roll!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-29 12:09 pm   Permalink

Anyone have experience with clay and "combustables" other than paper? I want some light and porous clay for a project so it's back to the MadDog Mike Tiki Laboratory. I started with Cone 04 casting slip and mixed a few batches using ground corn cobs (small animal bedding), ground spagetti, crushed crackers, & cereal flakes. Most of them are mixed 50/50 by volume. I wanted to try sawdust but haven't found any I like yet.

Any other suggestions? Needs to be something granular that will burn out in the kiln. Something cheap and readily available. Vermiculite? Pearlite? Couscous? Rice? Dry Tapioca?

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-29 12:31 pm   Permalink

Those are some nasty-looking burgers you got there Mike! LOL

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-03 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-29 12:31, beadtiki wrote:
Those are some nasty-looking burgers you got there Mike! LOL

You shoulda seen them burgers smoke when I put them in the kiln

Well the results are in;
50% corn cob and 50% ground spaghetti both fell apart in the kiln
30% corn cob and 50% Honey Bunches of Oars were both too weak
50% crushed saltine crackers showed some promise - light, strong, and interesting texture.

Still want to try some sawdust and couscous for a little finer texture

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 10:32 am   Permalink

OMG! I've been eating the wrong cerial - Honey Bunches of OARS!?

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-03 11:05 am   Permalink

mmmmmmmmmm
gray hamburgers!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation