FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Paperclay and other abominations
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Paperclay and other abominations
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-03 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-03 10:32, beadtiki wrote:
OMG! I've been eating the wrong cerial - Honey Bunches of OARS!?

It has lots of (wood) fiber

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-23 06:36 am   Permalink

You gotta love paperclay for a quick project. Faux coral 1.5 x 1 inch at thickest part.

00:00 Sculpted coral and placed in heated forced air cabinette
10:00 Placed in kiln on low
20:00 Kiln turned to high
23:30 Kiln auto-off
34:00 Removed from kiln

34 hours start to finish. Regular clay would have been at least a week

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-13 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-12 18:45, MadDogMike wrote:
Today I bought 25 lbs of WC953, Max's Paperclay
"Fires gray-stony-white in reduction at cone 10, off white at cone 5 oxidation, and bright white at cone 05 (raku). It is a medium textured, low shrinkage body designed for large-scale hand-built sculpture and tile work where thick cross sections (up to 1 inch) are anticipated. Contains fine and medium mesh grog."

I'll let you know how it works out

So that was 3 years ago. I used a little of the clay on various projects and put the rest of it in a bucket for safekeeping. I pulled it out today and it seems to have "aged" like a fine Gorgonzola cheese

I hope there is still some paper fiber left in it, that it hasn't all rotted out

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-13 6:36 pm   Permalink

You are not just a MadDog you are a MadScientist Mike. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-13 6:54 pm   Permalink

mmm, mildew. Hey, that claymore holder is cool, the war club as well.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-16 3:01 pm   Permalink

Now my paperclay has a pink coloring in places, I suspect a bacteria called Serratia marcescens. Obviously the kiln will kill any bacteria when I fire the clay but I will need to be careful about cleaning the counters and my tools

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-16 4:28 pm   Permalink

I bought some paper clay when we were at Oasis. I just checked and there's no bacteria or mildew yet. I feel really lucky to have it stay nice in its appearance.
Why do I have it. What shall I use it for Mike??? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-16 10:46 pm   Permalink

It took mine a couple of years to mold I use it for thick pieces without too much detail that I want to dry quickly. This one will be a Christmas Gingerbread windchime and/or mobile. Christmas is coming and I need to get this dry fast, so I used the paperclay. But it doesn't carve well at leatherhard because of the fibers. This project doesn't require any carved detail so it works well.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-17 11:58 am   Permalink

Paper clay work good for caveman art that not have much detail and for repairing bisque.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-17 11:58 am   Permalink

Damned TC! Always doubles GROG' post.

[ This Message was edited by: grog 2012-12-19 15:24 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turtle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-12-19 10:54 am   Permalink

Actually, nothing better then moldy clay. You should be able to build a fortress with moldy paper clay. I've read that the chinese used to bury their porcelain for over 100 years to get it good and ripe before working with it.

I've always just used paper clay to fix small cracks. The texture doesn't suit the stuff I like to make, but, I just helped someone work on a paper clay sculpture the other day. Crazy, the piece was still slightly flexible after bisque. It was a large spiral shape and we had to lay it on it's side to keep it from bending while she glazed it. Next time we might just bisque it at a higher temperature.

View Profile of Turtle Send a personal message to Turtle      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-22 08:55 am   Permalink

Another small project using the advantages of paperclay. Packed some B-Mix paperclay into a plastic croc head mold after I lined it with Saran Wrap to serve as a mold release. Thickness varies from about an inch or more in some areas of the skull to the points of the teeth. Since the paper fibers help wick the moisture to the outside, you don't have to worry about slow drying to prevent cracks. I threw it outside in the 105 degree heat unprotected and in 2 days it was ready to fire

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-22 10:16 am   Permalink

Wow MDM I want to be your grandkid and have you make more things for me! Very cool. That pirate ship has it all. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2013-07-23 09:23 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-02 12:53 pm   Permalink

Another success for paperclay, this time a B-Mix Paperclay. Was making a large iguana head approx 4 inches in diameter and 7 inches long. Needed to have a wooden core in it so it could be attached to a wall. I made the desired size and shape core in both wood and in Styrofoam. I made the iguana around the foam core with sides about 1.5 inches thick.

I let the iguana set out with no wrapping for a couple of days until the clay hardened, I used a hook to break up the foam and pull it out of the cavity. The reason for the foam core instead of the wooden core was to eliminate the possibility of cracking if the paperclay shrunk against the core. I put it in a heated air cabinet and force dried it over 2 days. A piece with regular ceramic clay that thick would have taken WEEKS to dry without cracking. After bisque firing, the paperclay had shrunk slightly. I sanded my wooden core down so that it would slide into the cavity.

The wood core will screw to the wall, the iguana slides onto it and is held in place by a wooden dowel that goes crosswise through the core and the iguana (seen just in front of the large eardrum)

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-02 1:55 pm   Permalink

Nice trophy head

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation