FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Diana Lai - Original VIP Hostess for Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Diana Lai - Original VIP Hostess for Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 08:19 am   Permalink

I think that's me in the second image you posted Miehana. Lower right corner. heheh

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 7:52 pm   Permalink

Great article and pictures Miehana! It looks like they got her name wrong in the article though (it looks like Diani Lao?). I forwarded the last picture you posted and here is what she had to say:
"This is the clearest 1963 Tiki Room shot that I have seen of me, even if Walt Disney's face is not verifiable:-) Have never seen this photo before, but I do recall that Uncle Walt was pleased when he found out that I knew all the words (not the meanings) that the tikis chanted. After all, by then I had danced the Hawaiian War Chant with uli ulis (feathered gourds) many times. I was always tempted to hula along during the show, but that would have distracted from the novelty Audioanimatronics."

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 3:04 pm   Permalink

Dano, Thanks for posting those great memories of Diana! Being a big tiki room fan, I really enjoyed reading stories from a first hand account of the whole process! And LOVED the photos too!!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 3:11 pm   Permalink

Classic Beauty!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-27 5:26 pm   Permalink

What a treasure! I nominate Miss Diana to be Tiki Central's VIP Hostess

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 7:13 pm   Permalink

Dano, thank you so much! This really is an amazing story and especially for me as I was probably ushered thru by Diana upon the first few weeks of the Enchanted Tiki Room opening. My 5th. birthday was in June of that year and we always went as a family to Disneyland the last week of June every year to celebrate. I remember what a big deal it was to my folks to see this new attraction and for me it was the true beginning of my love for tiki, and/or tiki style and/or tiki culture and/or Polynesian Pop Culture. Again, Mahalo to your step mom for taking the time to share...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 1:58 pm   Permalink

What a beautiful post!! I got teary eyed! I worked at Disneyland in the 80's, when the Park was run by Uncle Walt's son-in-law. What she described about Disneyland was true even then, twenty years later. We were given manuals to study on how to create the "Disney Look", and it was taken VERY seriously. To this day, it's hard to me to point using only one finger, or talk to a child without crouching down to his level. And, yes, there were those crazy canoe races at 6 a.m.! It was an amazing, and seriously fun experience. Please thank your mother-in-law for me, Dano, for taking the time to write this down. Have you heard of the "E Ticket" magazine? (I think it's still in publication.) They might be interested in reprinting her letter in one of their issues.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thisoldhippie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-28 5:40 pm   Permalink

I just checked out "e magazine" and it seems this is their last issue. That's a shame because this story would have been awesome for it. Those pics are just too cool.

View Profile of thisoldhippie Send a personal message to thisoldhippie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 07:42 am   Permalink

Yes, absolutely! A most incredible and inspiring story. Thanks so much!!

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djweso

Posted: 2009-02-01 07:00 am   Permalink

Thank you. This is an incredibly read (and the pics are nice too)!

View Profile of djweso Send a personal message to djweso  Goto the website of djweso     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TimboTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-02 10:03 am   Permalink

This is just so awesome. Thank you so much for posting it, and give my best to Diana!

View Profile of TimboTiki Send a personal message to TimboTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-04 9:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting this, Dano, and thanks to Diana for taking the time to write it all out.. A very enjoyable read!
It's always interesting to hear about the inner workings of things.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bambú Yoo-hoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 08:49 am   Permalink

Fantastic Post, Dano! Thank you for sharing Diana's story -- a fascinating read!

View Profile of Bambú Yoo-hoo Send a personal message to Bambú Yoo-hoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-14 3:58 pm   Permalink

VERY well written. There is nothing better than hearing the personal story of someone who was there. Especially someone with such a good memory. Hell, I can't even remember what I did last week. Could be the rum.
Mahalo for sharing this with us!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 3:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the great comments! Well it looks like I am the King of Procrastinators. It took me a while before she wrote down her story and then 4 years to post it here. Too late for E Ticket magazine. But it can be found at Davelandweb at http://davelandweb.com/tikiroom/

For those who may be interested (Sabu) of her experiences at 5 Lanterns restaurant she wrote this to me:

"Nothing really to note about 5 Lanterns. During the college term I worked weeknights at 5 Lanterns and on weekends at Disneyland. On school breaks (Christmas, Easter, holidays and summer) I worked at Disneyland, and my sister Elaine filled in for me at 5 Lanterns. Its sister restaurant was in Covina, owned by the same family. I worked as hostess/cashier there for Mr. Chen, who could compute receipts faster on his abacus than I could on a Texas Instrument calculator that had to be plugged into a wall outlet. The old man let me read and study at the register, so it was ideal for 3 years in college. I had my wedding rehearsal dinner there in 1966. Even though my mother had a restaurant in Hawaii and was an excellent cook, I did not like or cook Chinese food until I worked at 5 Lanterns and ate dinner there every night I worked. The little Chinese I know was also learned from the employees there. I was queen bee among all those guys, so I enjoyed my job there a lot."

Diana and my Dad's Wedding picture 1976

Diana, Dad and Dano at my 40th - leaning up against my Bamboo Ben bar

I planned on sending her this link on her 65th birthday(Feb.7) but again, late as usual.

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation