Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Rum combos for Mai Tais
Rum combos for Mai Tais
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-01-27 11:16 am   Permalink

Interesting discussion going on at "A Mountain of Crushed Ice" http://amountainofcrushedice.wordpress.com/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais-exploring-the-rums-one-mai-tai-at-a-time/

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 3:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Interesting read and a small fortune in rums. Yikes!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 5:33 pm   Permalink

This blog seems to explain the impetus for that article and was just posted yesterday.

http://rumdood.com/archive/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais.aspx

It's nice to ride on the coat tails of those blazing the trail and reap the benefits. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Note the finding about Appleton Estate 12 Year Old and Clement VSOP. Gotta try that combination.

- SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 06:17 am   Permalink

Yeah, I hate to be so populist, but I'm kind of dissapointed that almost all the rums used in that test are ones that few of us could find and fewer of us could afford....

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-28 07:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-28 06:17, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Yeah, I hate to be so populist, but I'm kind of dissapointed that almost all the rums used in that test are ones that few of us could find and fewer of us could afford....

Actually, just the winners turned out that way. I'll be publishing my entire list with all of my ratings as soon as I clean it up a bit as I've had quite a few people ask for it.

For an inexpensive combo that I ranked really highly, try Appleton Estate V/X and El Dorado 5, 12, or 15 (obviously the 5yo is the least expensive, but these days has been a little harder to find for some reason).

View Profile of Dood Send a personal message to Dood  Goto the website of Dood     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-28 07:11 am   Permalink

Unless of course you're talking about T's post at Crushed Ice, in which case, yes, she's to be hated with bitter jealousy for her easy access to so many great demerara rums that aren't available at all in the US.

View Profile of Dood Send a personal message to Dood  Goto the website of Dood     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 08:16 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-01-28 07:09, Dood wrote:
Quote:

For an inexpensive combo that I ranked really highly, try Appleton Estate V/X and El Dorado 5, 12, or 15 (obviously the 5yo is the least expensive, but these days has been a little harder to find for some reason).

Thanks for the research. This is one combo I haven't tried. I am always on the lookout for inexpensive combos for my guests that don't know any better.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 12:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-28 07:11, Dood wrote:
Unless of course you're talking about T's post at Crushed Ice, in which case, yes, she's to be hated with bitter jealousy for her easy access to so many great demerara rums that aren't available at all in the US.

Oh Dood please don`t..dont forget that i also have many readers in Europe and i have actually also been asked to write about these rums..

But if you took a good look at my post you would also have seen my final list of rum sugggestions, containing one of those demerara yes..but also mostly rums that are or will be (Banks XM) available in the US:

Appleton Extra with St James hors d`age or Clemént VSOP

2 oz Silver Seal 15 demerara

Sub with: (or 1.5 oz El Dorado 12 with a 0.5 oz Lemon Hart 151, alternatively 0.5 oz El D12, 1 oz XM10 and 0.5 oz LH 151)

Banks XM10 demerara (soon available in the US)

El Dorado 12 and Clemént VSOP

Zaya and Pusser´s

And besides..if you have El Dorado and LH151 you can sub all my demeraras with very good results.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation