FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Suggestions for our tiki bar top?
Suggestions for our tiki bar top?
albino tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-29 1:18 pm   Permalink

Numatiki has an old bar that he bought when he was about 18 years old. It has gotten a little banged up over the years and didn't seem stylistically appropriate in his home bar, so he asked me to tiki-fy it.

Before:

After:

We refaced the front and sides of the bar with various materials including some carvings by the mid-west's own, Lake Tiki!

Now, we're trying to decide what to do with the bar top and edge. The plan is to remove the existing red tile and make the top a solid rectangular shape (eliminate the recessed area). We may refurbish the padded arm rest or eliminate it altogether. I'm leaning toward the idea of making a glass mosaic top with classic tiki images on it, but we'd love to hear any suggestions you creative folks might have or please post photos of what you have done with your own bar tops.

Existing top:

Suggestions, please?

View Profile of albino tiki Send a personal message to albino tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 1:30 pm   Permalink

WOW!! I love what you did to it. What a work of art. Seriously. Nice.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 4:40 pm   Permalink

Great rework of that bar! I personally enjoy padded bar tops (you don;t see them anymore), and I think the red tiles would fit in any decor. I say it's done as is.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 4:48 pm   Permalink

I'd agree with TikiMango, Leave the tile top, Easy clean-up and has nice vintage look.
Ohana Since September 17 2002, Member #434

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 07:41 am   Permalink

Looks great! Totally agree with the tile, leave as is. We have a tile top on our bar here at BambooLodge and love it. Easy clean up, and easy to maintain.
Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gooberfreek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-30 2:24 pm   Permalink

That is awsome, Im very Jealous... I too would leave the top as it is, you dont want to spoil the padding aroud the edge...

View Profile of Gooberfreek Send a personal message to Gooberfreek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:00 pm   Permalink

Yep...and the tiles have a nice exotic, tapa-like look to them.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 4:49 pm   Permalink

..i suggest you invite us all over for a drink and we can stand around the bar discussing what to do about the top of it. .....it's easier to come up with solutions when the problem is right in front of us.....rum helps too!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
albino tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-31 3:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all of your kind replies. The general consensus seems to be "leave the tile top as is" and we probably will, at least for now.

Tipsy, come on over to Numatiki's bar. He lives in the 'burbs so it's a bit of a trek but he'll set you up with some mai tais and you can help us brainstorm.

View Profile of albino tiki Send a personal message to albino tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-01 5:33 pm   Permalink

Is that bamboo or PVC made to look like bamboo? We just put a bamboo footrest in our bar...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 08:43 am   Permalink

that bar rules, wow, nice work!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
albino tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-02 11:29 am   Permalink

Swanky,

The footrest is real guadua bamboo which is very strong. I wanted to use the black bamboo that was used on the rest of the bar, but it just isn't strong enough to support any weight.

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 11:43 am   Permalink

Hi Albino, you could torch the footrest to darken it. I did that with the tall vertical poles on this wall and it worked pretty well.

You could test it out on a scrap piece to see if you like it.

albino tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-02 11:55 am   Permalink

Thanks, Mr. Pupu, that's a good idea! I've been watching your progress on Hula Sue's and your work is very inspirational!

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 2:56 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work and craftsmanship!

Thanks so much for letting me be a part of it!

I now remember the patterns you brought with you last Spring when you were picking out pieces.

Very cool to see it all together!

See you at the Chef New Year party!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation