[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Buffbad--Variation on a Theme
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Buffbad--Variation on a Theme
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

in aliens defence..buffbad copied one of my tikis as well..

Quote:

On 2009-04-05 04:07, BUFFBAD wrote:
Hi ALL !! I would first like to thank Kirby as the original artist of his Tiki called Skullkeeper for my inspiration (or shameless coping) and guide from photos in Tiki Central. Here is the first picture I took even though it is almost finished.

Note the WEBER TIKE carving station. LOL

I think the original was small so Kirby I can't take this one to the beach to take a picture.

You can only do this on a hard wood palm as this one was.

OK! OK I will admit I cheated (a little bit). I forgot the ears. So I ran to the craft store and got some basswood and then glued them on. AHHHHHHH! I feel better already.

More pictures to come. KEEP YOUR CHISELS SHARP AND BANDAIDS CLOSE

BUFFBAD

[ This Message was edited by: BUFFBAD 2009-04-05 06:47 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-07 4:40 pm   Permalink

HAHA NICE JOB, I LIKE THE CLONE.

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-07 5:53 pm   Permalink

Wow, this thread is really negative.

Two thoughts as someone who also does design for a living, albeit in a different medium:

1. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

2. life is too short to worry about this stuff, have a cocktail and dial up digitiki.com.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BUFFBAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-07 6:13 pm   Permalink

WHOAH ! GUYS ! Carving is a hobby for me. I work full time in the medical field and I have no formal artistic skills at all.

BUT I LOVE TIKI's. Alien/Kirby/Bowana I am sorry for imitating your work, your art, your style. THANK YOU CAMMO for your comments which I totally agree to. For a guy who has carved less than 10 tiki's to cause children to go with out food is BS. Most of my Tiki's are given away to friends so I guess those few people won't be buying one from you.

I have NO artist/graphic/design skills so I admit when I copy and acknowledge my sources. I will endeavor to improve my skills to develope my own style so I wont offend the profesionals and if anyone wants to copy my work, feel free to do so. I will be flattered. BUFFBAD

View Profile of BUFFBAD Send a personal message to BUFFBAD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-07 7:52 pm   Permalink

Buffbad, nice job. I am not sure copying is a correct term here. Seems like you have your own interpretation of the pieces the artists on TC have done.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fumacius
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-08 05:50 am   Permalink

Hi there Buffdad...Dude i think your creation is real cool and diferente at same time.
I wanted to ask you something, you used palm tree wood, but in middle of work , the wood is painted witha dark brown....What kind of paints are better to stain the wood m8??
An by the way tell me , what kind of polish did you applied..In a tiki i created i used a polish, but it have put my work to shinny.
Can you gibe any tips about this m8???

Thank you buffbad

View Profile of fumacius Send a personal message to fumacius  Email fumacius     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BUFFBAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-08 06:39 am   Permalink

Thank you for the kind words Fumacius. The palm wood is painted with a MinWax stain. In the case of the canible Tiki the color was Provintial (211). The stain was left to dry for several days in direct sunlight and oily spots (poor areas of absorbtion) are wiped with a dry rag. Then final coats are of a MinWax Polyurathane (fast-drying) Clear Gloss. The first coat is applied then dried for several days. Then the piece is very lightly sanded and one final very thin coat is applied. I hope this answers your question. BUFFBAD

[ This Message was edited by: BUFFBAD 2009-04-09 03:38 ]

View Profile of BUFFBAD Send a personal message to BUFFBAD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fumacius
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-08 09:00 am   Permalink

Yes dude...I got +- what you mean..I went to buy now a new polish with no brightness.So that the new tiki stays with an old wood appearance.im making an experience, before i use this new polish i will try to paint the wood with shoes taint, and after that i will use the polish..
Im trying this in a small piece of wood, in case the results isnt as i want..
I will sow here later.
Cya later dude

View Profile of fumacius Send a personal message to fumacius  Email fumacius     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 01:06 am   Permalink

Almost all here have been copying other artist or carver (my first) and you, you have the honesty to say ... I like "thegreenman" word: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Continue to have fun with carving...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 03:20 am   Permalink

BUFFBAD-dig ya carv'n and the pool,keep on chop'n.
Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 07:32 am   Permalink

Nice Piece Buffbad. I love your honesty and I see no issue with your work. You can use any of my works for Inspiration any time you like. Good Stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annamarikitiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-25 07:52 am   Permalink

as an artist I understand the issues of ownership/copyright infringement etc.
When it all boils down isn't everything an abstraction of an abstraction? I can totally respect the hostility of being copied but it is true "imitation is the highest form of flattery" It takes a pair of brass ones just to put anything out there online these days with the cut & paste society we live in. Still new here so not trying to step on any toes. I think both u carvers are awesome in your own styles-Noyes

Justin Kingsley Noyes
-Teak it up-

View Profile of annamarikitiki Send a personal message to annamarikitiki  Goto the website of annamarikitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation