FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » How To Build A Lava - Clamshell Fountain In One Day
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
How To Build A Lava - Clamshell Fountain In One Day
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-04 8:57 pm   Permalink

This was the last area of the yard that needed to be finished. Mrs. Fury requested a trickling lava fountain. A little late posting this as it was completed in the summer.

I wanted to make it 5' high, but didn't want to wait to build a block wall with rebar etc. I had already installed a GFCI outlet and had some stacking blocks and lava rock left over. The fiberglass shells were then installed and rocks locked them in place

Installed a liner that is pitched toward the plastic basin where the pump will go.

We set the blocks in morter and as the wall got taller, stacked a second wall behind it for stability.

Covered it with morter and added charcoal grout for the areas that would show through the lava rocks that were just buttered on with the same morter mixture.

Add plants, lights, and water.

I posted this pic a while ago.

It took about 6 1/2 hours to do (3 people) not including landscaping. The concrete grout locked everything in. I pushed on it pretty hard the next day and it did not budge. I was glad we were able to utilize some of our construction leftovers.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 9:07 pm   Permalink

you two are awesome... Your backyard is incredible as is your home and your ability to be handy and creative in all mediums is fantastic.

I need my Rincon Room Fix....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 9:17 pm   Permalink

You did a great job on this Bongofury!

When you enter your backyard it’s one of the first things you see that let’s you know you’ve just entered an amazing place.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 06:55 am   Permalink

Beautiful! Where do you get the fiberglas clamshells?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-05 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:

i do not think that those are fiberglass. great job,love it.
i may just steal the concept/design.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 11:24 am   Permalink

The fountain is amazing, Ron. Thanks for sharing the step by step.

I'd love to see you post some more pictures of The Case, please.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 11:27 am   Permalink

really beautiful!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-02-05 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-05 07:24, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-02-05 06:55, MadDogMike wrote:

i do not think that those are fiberglass. great job,love it.
i may just steal the concept/design.

According to what bongofury posted above, they are fiberglass. However, they sure do look real.

Quote:

On 2009-02-04 20:57, bongofury wrote:
... The fiberglass shells were then installed and rocks locked them in place...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 2:33 pm   Permalink

opps .... missed that.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 4:58 pm   Permalink

Wow that came out so nice! Where did you find the shells? Inquiring minds want to know

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-06 4:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone! I had some real clams, but they were pretty heavy and the lava wall is almost vertical. The fiberglass shells came from http://www.zgallerie.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=clam+shell the smaller shell sizes were on close out at Kohl's for 29.95. They say not to use outdoors. After a while the yellowish coating on the inside has started to flake off, leaving a mother of pearl color underneath that looks fine.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 08:58 am   Permalink

very kool dude .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 10:44 am   Permalink

Awesome Bongo!

I've got one coming up in the near future.

Queen K's pad.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-08 4:53 pm   Permalink

Very fast. Very cool. Good work. Love the night shot!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-08 5:37 pm   Permalink

Awesome Work! Very Cool! Cheers! Gogo

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation