Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My First Tiki-Style Carvings
My First Tiki-Style Carvings
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

I cannot take credit for the design of either of the following designs.

(The first design is based on an image of a tiki soap on a rope, that I found on the internet. I thought it looked cool and wanted to recreate it. The design credits go to John Skewes.)
This first one was an experiment, carved from a 2 1/2" piece of basswood. I don't quite consider it a success, but there it is, none the less.

This one is partially finished. One thing I'm unsure of is if I need to hollow out the ear hoops... it was somewhat indistinguishable from the design I was following, and I couldn't find a reference image based upon the pattern I used.

I just started carving a couple of months ago and have done about a dozen others carvings, but these are my first attempts at this particular style.

Constructive comments or advice welcomed.

[ This Message was edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-04 22:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-05 18:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-05 22:46 ]

View Profile of rbloch66 Send a personal message to rbloch66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 05:28 am   Permalink

Great carving and i do consider that first guy a success. Sand him and give him a stain and i bet he looks killer. Keep em comming

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 06:11 am   Permalink

nice job for the first time. the small guy, it's a success and if it holds true to form, you'll be your biggest critic. as for the earlobes, do what you feel is best. great start and keep carving.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 09:10 am   Permalink

NICE! Off to a phenomenal start. As per standard, send your 1st one over to me for close inspection!
Very nice indeed. I see a lot of cool carves in your future!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 6:56 pm   Permalink

I appreciate the responses and the tips.

I took the suggestion, and applied some homemade water based gel antiquing.... after some more sanding of course. Here are the results. Now I can say I'm happy with it.

View Profile of rbloch66 Send a personal message to rbloch66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha rbloch66,

Was this the pattern?

If so, you've captured it well! I never did complete my own version of the elusive Moai-Ku. It's been collecting dust in my shed since the last time I attended a San Diego Chop-Chop and took a wood chip to the eye while using the Lancelot (idiotically) without eye protection. Cool to see someone getting it done!

Excellent work, my friend. Carry on!!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:33 pm   Permalink

Yup, that's the one.... and Thank You. It was a lot of fun.

Sorry about your mishap. It's stories like that that help me find contentment with my carving knife and a chunk of basswood. I'm a little perplexed as to how I'd go about a larger one with my little knife,..... perhaps I'll venture out in the future to power tools. I do have some larger chisels that I need to blow the dust off of and hone up.

Thank you for the encouragement. It's greatly appreciated.

rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 9:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-05 09:10, surfintiki wrote:
NICE! Off to a phenomenal start. As per standard, send your 1st one over to me for close inspection!
Very nice indeed. I see a lot of cool carves in your future!

Sorry my friend.. this one's earmarked to be hung from a piece of leather swinging from my rear view mirror. =)

[ This Message was edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-07 20:59 ]

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 08:05 am   Permalink

Nice carves! Bass wood really does look better with stain. Keep them comin!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 12:49 pm   Permalink

Great stuff they are so deep and full figured fellas.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-06 4:23 pm   Permalink

There is one thing I'm confused about..... where is the eye represented in the following pic.
Is it the deep groove #1 or is it the # 2 area ??
I'm unsure if the #2 area might actually be the cheek. Please help!!

[ This Message was edited by: rbloch66 2009-02-06 16:24 ]

big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 10:22 pm   Permalink

definately number 1. that seems to be the natural place for eyes. area number 2 is indeed a cheek. are you going to inlay eyes or did you just need to know where to look at him after a few mai tai's?

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-06 11:03 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure if I'm going to inlay eyes...... just wanted to make sure I get the basic facial structure somewhat accurate.

Not a drinker unfortunately

Thanks for the info.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 09:05 am   Permalink

Eye vote for #1 also, But looking at your piece, the top part of the cheek bone Could be made into a large eye and it would be acceptable, but the Proper Moai's eye would be # 1
Excellent job on that guy And the other one too. For your first carves, they are WAY out front of where you Should be in the skills level. Keep yp the carving, I think you are a natural.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbloch66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-07 09:25 am   Permalink

Thank you so very much..... I appreciate the tips and the encouragement!!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation