FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Feedback wanted for Tiki Crawl 2009
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Feedback wanted for Tiki Crawl 2009
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 12:56 am   Permalink

We are starting to rough out this year's Tiki Crawl 9, and would like everyone's feedback on previous years' crawls, as well as any feedback for this year and future crawls. There are actually a lot of areas that lend themselves to this topic. Take for example, lodging: we can continue to use the Phoenix Hotel for an anchor hotel, or use another place in San Francisco, or move the lodging location to the East Bay, or do away with an anchor hotel entirely. Another topic for discussion are the actual bars and restaurants themselves: are there any places that you would like to see on The Crawl, or places you'd rather not see, as well as the amount of time spent at each place, etc. Then there's bus vs. no bus, South Bay Day vs. no South Bay Day, what weekend to have The Crawl - to name a few.

We have a rough idea of what we want to do for this year, but before we get the ball rolling on everything, we'd like to get some feedback from everyone. I'm particularly interested, since I was only able to attend 2008's East Bay Saturday (due to circumstances out of my control). Input from veteran crawlers would be especially appreciated, but we'd like to hear from new crawlers as well. Let the discussions begin!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 06:55 am   Permalink

It's too far from Los Angeles.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 08:45 am   Permalink

One night at each bar.

It's too fast!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 09:38 am   Permalink

Teleport system or Bullet train to get to Nor. Cal.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:25 am   Permalink

Yes, Mai Tai, obviously a crawl is impossible without you PERSONALLY implementing a high speed rail system from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

In all seriousness, the one thing I love about the SF crawl and I would like to see continue is - a BUS (yes, I know that's the biggest hassle but it is what is the most fun about the crawl for me). Bus rocks. In SF too. Cabs get spendy and I had to take it easy Friday because I was driving.

I think visiting Tiki Bob is a fun addition and should be left in (we missed it this past year with no SF bus).

Trad'r Sams, Tonga Room, Emeryville TVs, Conga Lounge, and FI are obvious yesses. I **LOVE** PA TVs but found that the south bay day was a little slim for my taste otherwise... maybe see the tikis in the park again we did a few years back on the Peninsula? In SF, maybe add an optional side stop at Le Colonial (original SF TV's site, for historical purposes?) Not tiki, but cool decor and decent cocktails.

Raffle?

Bus Drinks?

Bands?

Let me know the dates and I'll be there. With Conchy Jr.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:38 am   Permalink

We had a blast at the 2008 crawl in the East Bay. The bus is always a good idea. I will suggest that maybe the establishments have a couple of drinks that are ready to go and quick for the crawlers. I get a little unbalanced when I walk into a place and can't get some booze quickly(some of you may have witnessed this on past occasions).
I unfortunately didn't even get to have a drink at Conga Lounge because of the the long lines. We had to walk across the street to have a beer(still fun though).
Looking forward to the 2009 crawl!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 11:30 am   Permalink

Bring back the HanfordCam!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 11:35 am   Permalink

I'd like the San Francisco night to start at the De Young Museum. I always seem to be hearing about these cocktail receptions that they host. It would be a good first stop since not many people would be too sloshed that early in the evening and would hopefully be on their best museum behavior.

Just a thought.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
metikiman1705
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 1:36 pm   Permalink

South Bay night was OK at best. Not to diss on any one place but I think the S.F and E.bay were beter. Maybe a couple of passes to F.I would be in order. No matter what you plan though The lovely miss Amelia and I will be there.

Lava Lewie

View Profile of metikiman1705 Send a personal message to metikiman1705  Email metikiman1705 Goto the website of metikiman1705     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 3:18 pm   Permalink

I can't think of anything to improve it.
I always have a blast with great people as well.

Oh, I think next year "certain people" might require a GPS collar around their neck.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:27 pm   Permalink

We have iPhones and can find you now, Unga.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:34 pm   Permalink

Hmm, I would say "So Long Trad'r Sams!" Grouchy Grouchy!

Can the Kona Club stop be about a half hour instead of two hours? I know they want their menu's back but can I get my two hours back? Jeez! Hall and Oates anyone?

I agree with Tiki-Kate a stop at the De Young Museum would be nice.

Bring back Hawaii West.

What's The Aloha Room on Fruitvale? Mai Tai why don't you put on your Fez and a Disneyland shirt and hop over there and scout it for us? I suggest a Friday at 1:27 AM.

More time at Forbidden Island for the out of towners that go back to work on Monday and can't hang around for wind down Sunday.

How about a stop at Steve Miller's house? I think his song Jungle Love should be the official theme song for Tiki Crawl 9, especially since it's stuck in my head at the moment.

Someone please tell Boz Scaggs to put a shirt on. Thank you.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 07:20 am   Permalink

Bus is a must. It's one of the plusses to the crawl.

I'd like to see some of the places better prepared for us. The Tonga Room last time was just plain rude and not a good start to the evening. They acted like they didn't want us there. And the Kona Club was happy to see us but plain unprepared.

I liked the commemorative mug.

And before the next crawl, keep the wife away from staircases. I missed having her on the crawl.

[ This Message was edited by: Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut 2009-02-06 07:21 ]

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 08:01 am   Permalink

I would suggest a memorial stop at the Grand Piano Coffee House on Haight street, since that is where I started my American existence as a dish washer ...but it doesn't exist anymore, boohoo!

The classic career!: From dish washer to Tiki millionaire!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-06 08:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
I would suggest a memorial stop at the Grand Piano Coffee House on Haight street, since that is where I started my American existence as a dish washer ...but it doesn't exist anymore, boohoo!

The classic career!: From dish washer to Tiki millionaire!

For now on I'm calling you "Tony" !!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation