[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Collecting Tiki ╗ ╗ Antique Tiki Prints
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Antique Tiki Prints
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-05 09:01 am   Permalink

Aloha Amigos! This is where I will show my collection of Antique Prints. I found them trough the years in old bookstores in Barcelona, Madrid, Morocco, Mexico and France... This are OLD. I guess there's not many prints like this in the U.S.A. since the country didn't even existed when the prints were created. They are extremely rare because most of them are in collections and libraries already so it's difficult to find them "in the wild" These were not cheap, but are worth every cent, they have so much detail that it's a pleasure to look at the lines, sadly, it's hard to appreciate it on a computer screen. Another great thing about antique prints is that you can scan them in high resolution and reprint them in any size and they don't loose their crispiness, don't get pixelated, blurry or anything like that. But most important, they are the first document of the clash between the two worlds, the cultural shock, "the civilized and the primitive" "the illustrated and the savage" The first impression of "the other" The birth of the modern... This are the images that started Polynesian pop and the fascination with the exotic. This is what the Avant garde artists like Gaugin, Picasso, Max Ernst etc, etc... saw that blew their minds and made them forget about representative art and start drawing from imagination... This is as Tiki as it gets. Enjoy! If you have some, please share!

Look at the Tiki (New Caledonia) smiling to the horror! Scary and beautiful!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 04:36 am   Permalink

1917 Spanish Magazine

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-18 10:53 pm   Permalink

The detail is amazing.

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-27 10:32 am   Permalink

Porcupine fish

Hand colored...

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 12:54 am   Permalink

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-04 08:50 am   Permalink

Those are awesome...great collection. I just love drawings like that and the detail is amazing. Do you have them framed yet?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-08 09:10 am   Permalink

Mucho mahalo VampiressRN! and yes I have them framed... Also, I scanned and turned some into poster size... They look pretty tikirrific!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-08 1:07 pm   Permalink

Zeta!
These are WONderful!!! I want to see them all up close!

Thanks for sharing - give us more!
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-09 4:13 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Formikahini, I bet you could find and share some old prints yourself, just look in old books... Or in new books for reproductions.

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 5:18 pm   Permalink

I scanned a number of old prints a while back and put them up in a gallery of Vintage Oceania on my weblog.

This Easter Island lithograph from an old issue of Harper's Weekly is my favorite:

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-08 10:09 am   Permalink

Gracias Mr. BaliHai! That one is awesome! I bet Bigbrotiki knows who did that piece of art.

What does tabu means? ...
Old print...

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-05 09:01, Zeta wrote:

Looks like Crazy Al at the last Tiki Oasis!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 11:13 am   Permalink

That piece of art is a Moai Kava Kava from Easter Island, although I have never seen one with a skirt before. Artistic license, perhaps, to appease publishers in prudish times.

Great scans people, wonderful stuff, keep it coming!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-08 12:09 pm   Permalink

Hola James, I bet you have some great scans too!

Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-21 6:38 pm   Permalink

Found in Barcelona. Give away gift that came with cigars.
Shirley Temple

Who signed that surf board? when? We need an expert...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation