FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events March 1st Exotiki, The Hula Girls, The ? Trio and Sidewynders at The Redwood Bar & Grill
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
March 1st Exotiki, The Hula Girls, The ? Trio and Sidewynders at The Redwood Bar & Grill
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 8:46 pm   Permalink

what style music are they?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-26 20:14, Luckydesigns wrote:
You HAVE to announce the mystery band!! It's killing me not to tell anyone! Let me just say that we are super excited to be on this bill!

Patience young grasshopper, soon enough. Just think of it as a Christmas gift, your dieing to tell someone what they are getting but if you do the suprise would be ruined.

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-26 20:46, bigtikidude wrote:
what style music are they?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry no hints, but it is a show that gets Hillbilly Jeff's seal of approval, so you know it just has to be good.

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 08:26 am   Permalink

Bumpity Bump....

2 more days....

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-28 07:09 am   Permalink

One more day!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-28 09:40 am   Permalink

this is gonna be good,
I can't wait.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-28 8:04 pm   Permalink

Drum roll please, The ??? Trio is none other then

Robert of Big Sandy

Kevin of Exotiki & Big Sandy

And

Al of The Midnight Cruisers!

There you have it folks, your mystery is over and you should be excited!

tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 06:46 am   Permalink

Your wait is over, it's here, it's today, a great day of bands, food, friends & cocktails. cheers!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 09:08 am   Permalink

wow cool. I'm leavin soon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 8:15 pm   Permalink

Hillbilly Jeff and tiki a ffair always put on awesome shows, this one no exception! The Sidewinders, Big Sandy and Exotiki, who you have to see to believe! It was so good!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 07:51 am   Permalink

Big Sandy and Kevin (Dartin Menny) Big Sandy (despite his success) is a real nice guy, and pretty funny on stage, full of self-depreciating jokes. And man, he can SING! At times, it really seems as though he is channeling early Elvis...but he has his own style. The guitarist is Al Martinez? (did I get that name right?) who excelled in a tex-mex style that sounded really cool! Kevin (Dartin Menny) was pulling off many intricate slap-style things (Like triple slaps) but instead of making it "acrobatic" (as too many slap players seem to do), he made it all sound really "musical". The tone of his bass filled the room, even though he was not using an amp.
All in all, this is the typical caliber of the players coming into the Redwood. These are bands you are going to be paying 40 bucks for tickets, when they appear at the Hootenanny, and other events.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-03-02 09:55 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 09:45 am   Permalink

Exo-Tiki.
Just prior to their set, Big Tiki Dude tells me "Prepare to be blown away"....well, he certainly wasn't kidding! This is a band that perfectly melds Exotica with Hawaiian music....damn excellent! It's a weird looking band, though...some obvious jazzers and a couple of guys that look like they were on "the Sopranos"....(check out the Paulie Walnuts-looking percussionist on the far right). The guitarist on the far left was just amazing, somehow able to bring in a Django Rheinhart style to an exotica band, and it worked! The leader, on steel guitar, had a very lush and beautiful sound. And of course there is Kevin (Dartin Menny)...you would figure that a guy that good would have an attitude...but he doesn't. He was smiling the whole time, and worked his ass off playing with Big Sandy just before he did another set with Exo-Tiki!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-03-02 09:48 ]

Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 10:15 am   Permalink

Glad you enjoyed everything Lucas! It was good to meet you (again ) and Spike. Both of you are great guys and we need to have some more beers together next time...

It was great to hear the Hula Girls finally as well! Great band! Cool, original sound... not like everything else you hear these days... which is very refreshing!!!

Your new steel player was great as well. And all of the new songs you guys played you played very well! We will be playing with you guys again soon, I'm sure.

Too bad there weren't more 'tiki' music folks there supporting and helpin' keep it alive!

Big Tiki Dude... it was good to see you there too! I will get you some music soon....honest.

[ This Message was edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:19 ]

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-02 10:15, Dartin Menny wrote:

Too bad there weren't more 'tiki' music folks there supporting and helpin' keep it alive!

[ This Message was edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dartin Menny 2009-03-02 10:19 ]

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah...I mean, your band "Exo-tiki" is (Like Tikiyaki Orchestra) the very epitome of all things Tiki. The Redwood was packed, but not by many Tiki central people. There should have been a huge turn out of mug collectors and what not.
Exo-Tiki is of the highest musical caliber. Not just another surf band of garage musicians who "dabble" in exotica, (but don't quite have the chops). These guys are heavy hitters. It was something that people who are home listening to martin Denny and Arthur Lyman on a regular basis would have LOVED.
The good news is that this band will be playing at the boo-bens shindig in May. You will see and hear what I am talking about.

Tiki-a-fair, thanks again for hosting this thing. We are always honered to play! I anxiously await more pictures!

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 12:24 pm   Permalink

Amazing show yesterday,
I too was bummed that there wasn't more TC people there.
but there was Suzy(Atomic kitty, and Adam) and Maid Marion also.

all top notch musicians.
love the redwood shows,
especially when there is a mix of tiki also.
but even the all roots rock/country ones are good too.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation