FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » small wood carving from France. Summer update p. 44
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
small wood carving from France. Summer update p. 44
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-09 10:34 pm   Permalink

Thank you all, guys!! Yesterday I've leave my work 2 hours before... for an escape in museum! The temporary exposition ends soon...
I share with you some pix of the art of the ancient marquesans:

Museum entry

Subject of this exposition: A war club in ironwood.
Look at the beast:

The head

fine details

fine work

Now two Tiki in "breadtree" wood:

The first (33 cm)

detail, like striations on the chest

The second(26.5 cm)

He wear a curious appendix on his back

exhibition is also embellished by many design and engraving of explorers (notably Cook).
Well, it's all for today...

Jérôme.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 11:25 pm   Permalink

After a walk to the museum, back to carving or rather sandingsandingsandingsanding....AND polishing :

(Bd you have an option on this...if you are still interested...)

Now, adjust the focus to what we see behind the koru...

Twin side-hanger Hei Tiki who admires the sunset...
Advice (especially for the necklace) and criticism are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Jérôme.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 11:57 pm   Permalink

Jérôme, beautifully crafted hei tiki and the koru is carved to perfection!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful Marquesan images!

I can never see enough of that type of work, such wonderful detail in it.

You are very lucky to have an exhibit of that type.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 07:16 am   Permalink

Thanks for the Update Jérôme, they are both Beautifully finished pieces and I can tell you LOVE Sanding, especially those Exotic Hard woods, Fun hey? The Koru is just plain Lovely , I Love the simpleness of the graceful curves and the complexity of the same curves, Great.
Your "Twin side-hanger Hei Tiki who admires the sunset" is really Excellent and there's not much I could criticize on this unless I was going to really get picky then I might look at it under a magnifying glass and clean up some of the detail lines which are very difficult to see and to get to, so no big deal. The Best way to make those guys look better would be to hang them around my neck! (NO, Wait! That would only make ME look better, so Still a good idea! )

Thanks Big time for posting the Museum photos, I'm sure you could write a Whole thread on that Museum and the art there!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 8:28 pm   Permalink

Yes, thank you for the great pic's!

Your Hei Tiki are fab, nice shape and detail.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 11:37 pm   Permalink

laojia,
thank you for remembering. i would be honored to own and wear that beautiful piece. let me know what i have to do.

thanks
bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 11:50 pm   Permalink

Hey laojia:

thanks for the pictures of the Marq exhibit.

Would you happen to have any pictures of the designs back there on the wall and on the display cases throughout?

Your tikis look nice.

I hate sanding.
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 3:48 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm late to reply...

Lake: thank's for the compliments, I really appreciate. For the short story: this War club, call "U'u", sleep since 150 years in the cellars of the museum (scandalous!),is the first time it is exposed. Now it is out of the shadows I hope that he travel to other museums, why not that of milwaukee...

BenZ: full thank's!!! I'm sure what your eagle eye have find not less six or seven defects and mistakes only by looking the pictures!..Not less, because I've a list with ten or twelve... I can see the back!! Otherwise i'm ready to make you look better ...

Seek: Many thank! How is the update of the Quileute totem?

Big Daddy: I'll send a MP this week...

Buzzy:

Quote:

On 2009-03-13 23:50, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I hate sanding.

Nobody "love" sanding, but for you ,it's clear you hate...
Truce joke, I have no pictures of the motif ipu on the wall, but I can try to photograph the documentation that I took at the museum, which included almost all the drawings.
Following on your thread ,maybe this week.

A friend of Paris has just send me a photo of a tiki that I offered him in 2004 or 2005:

thank's for reading/looking.
Have a good night!

Jérôme.

laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 01:14 am   Permalink

These last days, I've made a study model of moai in a 4 inch piece of Ash. I don't insist on the details, just for get used to the form:

chest may be too far forward

I will detail when to attack the big piece (surely this summer), one in "jeaumont" stone and one in apple tree:

Comments and advises (many advises) are welcome!

Have a nice day
J.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 02:52 am   Permalink

NICE old carving and the Moai Study is great too just like he is. Big Tease with that Stone and Applewood, now we'll Have to be coming back.
(I really do need something to make me look better!):lol

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 03:48 am   Permalink

Thank's for kind word BenZ! For the "big tease" I'll try to be at the height...But I'm not hurry because time does not respect what he is made without him...
Also I can see for your problem look ...

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 08:46 am   Permalink

Ash wood has a very nice grain, I just saw it is Frene in french and I'm happy becaue I got a piece of ash right here !

Your moai is really cool and I can't wait to see those logs turning to moais.
My only advice would be: get a chainsaw !

Nice work,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 4:42 pm   Permalink

you speak right, Benjamin, ash tree as fine grain, but pay attention to the sense of the fibers, it can be treacherous...Thank's for comment, as I said above I'm not hurry, my customer (a friend in fact) who have give the log already waiting for three years ...
Another friend lend me a chainsaw, just to cut an Accacias who invaded the garden, for carving I prefer axes , adze and saw...let me but I may be tempted ..

restored adze of my gran pa (ash tree handle...) :

Good night!
J.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-21 05:18 am   Permalink

Just watch your shins with that beautiful adz, there have been Many leg injuries with those!

jab tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 12:44 am   Permalink

Nice carves, laojia.
Thank you for posting the pic's at the museum.
-Johnny.

View Profile of jab tiki Send a personal message to jab tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation