FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Korla Pandit, anyone?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Korla Pandit, anyone?
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 3:41 pm   Permalink

Anyone here fans of Korla Pandit's music?
Just wondering. It's not Exotica but it sure is moody.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 3:46 pm   Permalink

me! me! me!

Didn't he play himself in "Ed Wood"?

--cyn

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 15:46, cynfulcynner wrote:Didn't he play himself in "Ed Wood"?

I can't remember the movie at all. Korla was in it, according to the
IMDb.

From what I know about Korla, he was popular as a teen, although I'm not sure when that was, but I thought Korla was a teenager around the time Ed Wood was making movies. But I don't really know.

~Hanford

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-03-26 16:00 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:02 pm   Permalink

I am a huge fan of his TV show in the 50s. I have seen some clips from it and they were mesmerizing. His eyes were hypnotic.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

I'm a Korla Pandit fan, and he did play himself in Ed Wood. That was a really good movie.

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:06 pm   Permalink

He was not a teen when Ed Wood was making movies because his TV show was huge in the mid 50s and he was not a teen at that time.

See
www.korlapandit.com - an excellent web site.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:07 pm   Permalink

I heard a rumor that he used to play organ at the Castro Theater before his death. Sigh - story of my life... a dime short and 5 years too late...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 4:17 pm   Permalink

At the premiere party for "Glen or Glenda?" (I think), Korla is there playing the organ.

--cyn

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 5:55 pm   Permalink

I was under the impression that he was a teenager during his TV show. Shows you what I know.

Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2003-03-26 6:12 pm   Permalink

Korla Pandit had an ageless quality about him and looked nearly the same in his 1990s shows as he did in his 1950s shows. I would definitely put him in the "Exotica" category along with Yma Sumac, even though little of their music is similar to Martin Denny or Arthur Lyman.

I'd love to see a video of his old mid-day television show, playing the organ and staring with his smokey eyes at those thousands of housewives breathlessly watching from home. I hear that he used to have clouds rolling by behind him as he played. I hear such videos exist, but I've been unable to track them down.

I've got many of his albums, all gleaned from local garage and estate sales - one of the benefits of living in L.A.

I'd love to get a jeweled turban just like his to wear with a suit to our various tiki events.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-03-26 6:18 pm   Permalink

He may have been a teenager but he doesn't look like it.

CAUTION: I'm not an expert and I may be typing under the influence of alcohol.

vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 7:30 pm   Permalink

I got to see him play the Wurlitzer organ at the Orpheum theater in downtown LA . (That was at least 10 years ago.) I consider myself quite lucky to have seen him live.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-26 9:26 pm   Permalink

Wow....there's a name I forgot about....but now that you mention it I believe I have a video of his TV show....post back if interested as I will have to dig through some boxes in the ....shudder.......garage....some year I hope to park a vehicle in that thing...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 11:59 pm   Permalink

His music is pretty haunting. Again, I wouldn't call it Exotica, but a few Korla tunes thrown into an exotica playlist here and there work just fine.

Although nothing compared to my fondness for Tiki, I also love the whole concept of a bar in Arabian Vernacular. I'm not thinking of anything authentic, but something that looks like it's from the set a 40s/50s action adventure flick. Silks and pillows, real saturated desert colors. Perhaps a chess-playing mechanical Turk in the corner. A Genie Lamp. Korla music playing in the background.

If only the Internet Bubble didn't burst so soon....

~Hanford

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 06:12 am   Permalink

I have his "Plays Songs Of The Mystic East" somewhere in my record bins. It's one of the most hauntingly wierd organ records I have ever owned by a longshot. I also like Ethel Smith a lot for wierd organ stuff. There is a space themed record called "Organs In Orbit" that while not extremely hot as a recording has a cool cover.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation