FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Ellly first carving attempts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Ellly first carving attempts
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-07 10:41 am   Permalink

Hello to everybody here, after months of reading your posts.. and looking at the gorgeous creations you make, I found the courage to come in, starting from the very beginning..
so I'll post my first carvings, ready to work hard to improve.
Thank you for your comments..
I started just to see how do the 'mysterious (for me) burrs work... Still a mystery
and with non simmetrical subjects, working on little stones I bought in a local shop. The first one is a beach pebble from a beach here close to Catania.
We have here close to mount Etna where I live, lava stone, and I'd like to use that too, is it possible?
I like this jade that has a 'waxy aspect', I treated the pieces just with 400 grit, so I know that I have to continue with 600 800 and 1000.(no possibility to find diamond cloth here..)
Another question is I worked dry adding sometimes a drop of water with a brush, but I saw that you go wet.. so..maybe I should organize my working station better?

that's my working station..that I share with my micro surf factory

P.S. Paipo, the minimals are replicas of famous longboards of '50's and '60's, Bing, Hobie, Dewey Weber, Jacobs, Yater and so on, that I make for my personal collection, and sometimes I reproduce quivers of sufers that want their boards in a very reduced size

View Profile of Ellly Send a personal message to Ellly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 11:34 am   Permalink

welcome ellly and nice carving. looking forward to seeing your "pebble" finished. i am always amazed at what the stone carvers can do. keep grinding.

bd
ps. you must be really, really tiny because those boards look awfully hard to ride.

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BUFFBAD
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-07 3:02 pm   Permalink

Nice work!! Welcome to Tiki Central. I am inspired to try some small scale carving. Thanks for the pictures of your work. BUFFBAD

View Profile of BUFFBAD Send a personal message to BUFFBAD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 7:20 pm   Permalink

awesome welcome love stone carving ,great little designs too

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-09 02:34 am   Permalink

thank you to everybody here, I need a lot of help to understand how everything works...

Starting from the very mysterious burrs...
that I post here, sure that you will easily explain to me what I don't understand yet...
I made some sketches for what is clear... but all the others mmm... especially n.1 bah, as you see I'm at the very beginning..

About the boards... ehehe, tiny enough to ride them would be nice for some reasons, in this moment I think I had the better historical quiver in the world, included, Alaia, Paipo, Tom Blake Hollow, and Hot Curl, and then all the others... thinking myself riding a wave on one of these boards... a big dream for who lives so far from all your beautiful lands.

I like small summer mediterranian waves with my longboard, but a travel would be nice..

So Sirs, go ahead with your comments..
And thank you a lot

View Profile of Ellly Send a personal message to Ellly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 03:20 am   Permalink

Hey Elly, cool work, the Med definately has its days for surfing, my Parents live in Malta this is the break I surf when it works.

The last picture was 2 weeks ago 20ft plus faces, a rare occurence

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-09 04:19 am   Permalink

Yes! this winter gave us very big sets... in Sicily too, never seen so big waves...if you are interested you find beautiful photos on www.sicilsurf.it that has the most beautiful reports on sicilian waves ever seen. Anyway I like warm water, I'll wait a bit more. Beautiful spot in Malta! Does it work in summer too?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 05:24 am   Permalink

Ellly, Welcome to TC with your fun works, Love the Little boards! Also love that you are jumping into the face carving head first and full bore.
With time and experience will come the knowledge of what each bur will do for you. Just remember each bur has a specific shape and that is the shape which it removes from the media you are carving. The wheel burs will cut lines into a face and shape eyes, lips and places which need a crisp line. All the different sizes and shapes will get you into specific areas which need to be cleaned up and deepened without losing its small lines. I would take a soft piece of stone and just use every bur you have on it, experimenting with the shapes they leave in the surface.
There are many people carving Lava rock so Go for it and if you like the results then use more. most any stone that seems solid can be carved. I'm no expert there but my experience is that some rocks are hard and some soft and the harder ones give you better detail but are more difficult to cut. Which brings us to the Watering thingie! You can probably carve some stone dry but it will shorten the life of your burs a Lot, depending on how hard the stone and how good the quality of the bur. It's fairly easy to set up a siphon with a mop bucket and a length of fish tank air tubing or something like that. With a water stream running over your stone you will be able to run the bur faster for quicker stock removal, SO When carving dry, you Must keep the bur speed LOW, AND WEAR A DUST MASK!!! That dust is deadly.
There may not be diamond cloth available where you live but with your computer there are hundreds of stores just a click away. In the "Stone carving" thread are links for many tools and supplies like that so don't give up on that just yet.

I hope this was not boring and that it helps with your questions, now lets see some More of those beautiful pieces! :lol

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-09 07:07 am   Permalink

Benzart, first of all... thank you for your words it's a great honour for me to receive your suggestions, and I'll take care , especially for dust mask and everything can avoid iniury during working operations. It's beautiful to have joy while creating something
Ok for the burrs.. I understood better but I need experience.
So working wet I can set my dremel that goes from 5,000 to 35,000 and that I set now at 18,000 at a lower speed? Do you suggest a precise speed?
About lavastone, well, very hard, I've to find pebbles because it's nice to share work with nature, I'm looking forward !
Yes for on line shops for diamond cloth, I red part of the post about, when I'll be ready I'll ask for diamond and also for pounamu... I'd like to handle one piece...to see with my eyes how intense and deep and rich and different from what usually people call Jade is, but later... first I have to go ahead grinding
I'll do my best, in these days just sketching because of flu. 4 days of 40 C temperature make me feel too tired. I'm in bed trying to find my lost energies...I think it's hard for me to carry one of my micro longboard too...
ciao and thank you

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 10:03 am   Permalink

Welcome you have found the best place to start carving your stones.

The surfboard look so real i might have bought one online thinking is a full sized.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:04 am   Permalink

Hi Elly welcome! Nice stuff you do!
I specially love this one (it look like a far cousin of one of mine hoku) Very very nice love him !!

Keep them coming!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:58 am   Permalink

Elly, Your work is great. Carve anything you can get your hands on. Saw a lot of nice lava stone carvings at the Gem show here in Tucson, so go for it. Love your mini boards-great detail. I'm first generation born here in the USA, all my relatives live in Torino. My cousin, Gian Paolo visits your Island during his summer vacations and loves the food etc.
Ciao & Mahalo

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 5:01 pm   Permalink

Ellly, you will want to adjust the speed of the diamonds as you go as there is no "Set" speed for any media, just what feels good and removed the stuff without bogging down or over heating, You will Feel when it is cutting at the best rate. Every piece and bur is different as is each cut from different parts of the detail. You'll be feeling it soon.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ellly
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-10 03:20 am   Permalink

Oh, what a warm hospitality here! Thanks a lot Clarita, and..drgoats, never forget your roots..deeper than you can imagine
So if you come down with Giampaolo sometimes I'll have a board for you to surf together (not of the small... )
Benzart, ok, everyhing clear and in some ways seen, because differences from the pebble and the two small jades were big
and the jade too one from the other was 'feeling' a bit different.
Thank you, experience and works will give me the sense.. ok
thanks for the keyword: feel
I hope from now on I'll do better..
a nice day or evening or night wherever you are

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 2:36 pm   Permalink

You'll develop your own toolset and techniques as you progress - no two carvers would ever use the same burrs to make the same piece.
For the early stages of roughing out, and also for getting crisp cuts and sharp detail, you need to keep the speed up high and the water flowing. Strong, continuous cuts will save you a ton of time in the cleanup stages (just make sure the burrs are well seated deep in the collet when using pressure). Sometimes holding the handpiece still and moving the stone will work better than vice-versa and give you the best control over your cuts. Slow the RPM down to gently grind the rough edges of the initial cuts and refine the form, then slower still with less (or no ) water for the sanding.

PS that bench looks WAY too clean for a stone carver! You should try and get it as far as possible from your amazing shaping bay so you can cut loose and get the spray flying!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation