FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 )
velvet paintings
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-17 08:44 am   Permalink

Tiki no.
Velvet Yes...

Elvis did have a lot of Witco.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-18 6:34 pm   Permalink

I like the Elvis velvet. I have been hunting for 15 years or more and have never found a velvet, not even a bad one.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-01-10 3:22 pm   Permalink

I finally started posting today so might as well put up some of my velvets. This one was the first I obtained- not Tiki, but after looking for years I spotted her in the back of a pickup truck outside a thrift store in Espanola, New Mexico. Thinking had just missed out on a great find I complemented the taste of the guy getting into the truck. He replied "you want her? We are going to the dump, we didnt think they would want this painting in there". Needless to say I picked her up! Only velvet for the next decade or so, but after we were married I discovered my wife has a great eye for velvet nudes. She found the next two!

View Profile of Aloha pinball Send a personal message to Aloha pinball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 3:37 pm   Permalink

These days the painting saved from the dump is accompanied by 20 other velvets in my Tiki room (although a somewhat prudish wife of one of my colleagues referred to it as "the breast room"). Maybe I have gone over board on velvet nudes. Anyway this is just the main wall of velvets. The only notable ones are three by Bill Erwin, including a very early Hina Rapa that he painted in Tahiti (and looks like it was actually put in a dump at one point - it is in very poor condition). Three Cece Rodriguez velvets (my favorite of which Ill post in a minute), and five by Marcellus Bades.

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-01-10 16:11 ]

View Profile of Aloha pinball Send a personal message to Aloha pinball      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 3:50 pm   Permalink

And here is my favorite by Cece. I 'will post photos of the rest of them if anyone is still seriously interested iin this line of posts. It seems to have lost momentum in the past year, but it is a great resource for the vlevet afficianado.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-10 5:12 pm   Permalink

Please keep posting. This is great stuff!!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 5:35 pm   Permalink

OK, well here is a Bades. I bought two of these on ebay last year. They are slightly different but both stunning paintings of a blonde girl iin a Puka cave. They are VERY difficult to photograph, so I think I got a bit of a steal on both of them (the photos on ebay looked like dark velvet with an outline of a girl and a cave in the background). One has, well, um, slightly larger endowments than the other girl and platinum bonde hair. This one I think is the prettier of the two, although safly she has a small tear just abover her navel.

Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 5:40 pm   Permalink

This is a closer image of two by Bill Erwin. I particularly like the classic girl in water piece. It is in an original frame, marked on the back, "Erwin's Frame" in his handwriting. That one I also found on-line but had to pick it up in person in San Diego because the seller didnt want to try shipping it. Luckily it was still there the next time I had business in SoCal. Pro tip- dont buy a painting that won't fit in carry on and try shipping it from La Jolla in a hurry- it cant be done. But the guy who helped me at the UPS store was very helpful and appreciated packing fine art.

B

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-01-11 19:57 ]

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-10 5:47 pm   Permalink

Astounding group!
You have a wonderful collection.

Makes me laugh about "The Breast Room" comment - I had a friend finally get around to asking, after having been in my tiki room several times (with no understanding of the genre), if perhaps I batted for the other team

He was incorrect.
But I don't think I would have naked male black velvets even if they were "a thing"! Ha!

Why is it that naked breasts are acceptable most anywhere - and even fully naked women [art], but not "man parts"?

A question for another day...

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 5:49 pm   Permalink

And this is the Hina Rapa I mentioned. It is pretty beat up, but it is signed by Erwin in Tahiti. From what Ive gathered Erwin left Tahiti before Leeteg died so perhaps this copy was even seen by Leeteg. It is actually a very good one, beautiful work, so it is a pity it is in really bad shape. But in the shadows of the Tiki room it looks fine!

I dont have any answer to the question of naked man parts on velvet but I do have a version of the Leeteg Adze man by Lavisse up there too!

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha pinball 2016-01-10 17:54 ]

Aloha pinball

Posted: 2016-01-10 6:08 pm   Permalink

And since I mentioned Lavisse, here they are. I kind of think of Lavisse as "name brand" Leeteg copies as opposed to the generic "licensed" ones sold by Davis Galleries.
And the last picture is just in case anyone is wondering where if there are any actual Tikis in my Tiki room!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-11 11:51 pm   Permalink

Nice collection of velvet paintings.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha pinball

Posted: 19 days ago; 3:57 pm   Permalink

Found today - a mere 35 bucks, in Fredrick Md.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation