FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki velvet paintings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
velvet paintings
deanking69

Posted: 2003-03-26 5:51 pm   Permalink

Hi all,
I'm delighted to have found fellow Tiki Freaks! I recently bought a pair of gorgeous velvet paintings of some Polynesian maidens by an artist named Ben Alano. Some research into velvet painting turned up lots on Edgar Leeteg (very cool), but precious little on Mr. Alano. I know that he is from the Phillipines. The seller told me that the paintings were being sold on behalf of a widow whose husband was in the service and brought the paintings back sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

View Profile of deanking69 Send a personal message to deanking69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 7:25 pm   Permalink

deanking69, Welcome to the tribe! Not sure about velvets myself - however, I'm sure someone here can give you some info.

Nice to have you on board.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 9:05 pm   Permalink

got any pics?

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 9:08 pm   Permalink

oh ya, welcome to da village. I have a velvet painted by Bill Erwin. He did some wahine paintings fo da Tahitian Lanai as well as Leeteg.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marialeah59

Posted: 2006-10-22 01:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 17:51, deanking69 wrote:
Hi all,
I'm delighted to have found fellow Tiki Freaks! I recently bought a pair of gorgeous velvet paintings of some Polynesian maidens by an artist named Ben Alano. Some research into velvet painting turned up lots on Edgar Leeteg (very cool), but precious little on Mr. Alano. I know that he is from the Phillipines. The seller told me that the paintings were being sold on behalf of a widow whose husband was in the service and brought the paintings back sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hello deanking69

Have you received the message I sent you?
Do you have some photos of Polynesian or Hawaiian
dancers which I could paint or anyone here in the
site who could also provide.
Please e-mail me so I could give my address where
to mail the photos.

Many thanks,
Leah Alano Brito

[ This Message was edited by: marialeah59 2006-10-22 01:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: marialeah59 2006-10-22 01:31 ]

View Profile of marialeah59 Send a personal message to marialeah59  Email marialeah59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 11:32 am   Permalink

I picked this up yesterday at the Antique Expo for $40. It has to be from the 50s judging from the condition and original frame. Anyone ever heard of the artist?? It is signed Agulto and I would suspect from the name the artist would be from the Phillipines. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 07:59 am   Permalink

One of my favorite finds. Good size 33" by 28". Colors are very bright. This pic was taken with the mood lighting down in my lounge. Hard to make out the signiture though. Looks to be similar to a painting above the bar of the Volcano posted over on the genaral tiki thread. Found in a barn at an antique store here in Michigan. You never know until you look.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-11 10:03 am   Permalink

Damn Uncle Trav, that's nice! Can GROG have that? GROG like.

One of these days if/when GROG has some time, GROG going to have to try GROG' hand at doing a black velvet painting.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 4:45 pm   Permalink

Heres one with the lights up to show more of the colors

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 5:35 pm   Permalink

The first pic looks better and I can't believe what you are finding in MIch. I can't seem to find anything that you are finding. I guess that I will keep my eyes open for more barns. Which city was the barn in if you can tell.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 3:37 pm   Permalink

Wow,

This kinda intrigued me today:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/gms/341867408.html

ESTATE SALE OF "BUS" & LYNN PENDLETON (SACRAMENTO). What caught eye in the ad was they were selling "Paintings of Native Girls on Black Velvet from the old Zombie Hut Restaurant" which, in addition to the Hereford House Restuarant, were owned by Bus Pendleton.

The sale began at 9:00 a.m. I did not make there until 12:30 and didn't expect to find much. I was surprised to find both velvet paintings still for sale. One looked Polynesian and the other had more of a European look to it so I bought the Polynesian one:

I was unable to read the signature. To further complicate matters, the cord for the light was in a hole that went from the den into the garage, where the cord was plugged into an outlet. I paid for the picture, went out to the garage, cut the cord and went back into the house and removed the picture from the wall.

Inscribed on the back was the folllowing: "Native Dancer" Orignial Oil On Silk Velvet, No Copies-No Duplicates, Burke Tyree 1964, $150.00! I didn't say anything to the estate sales people, although they did tell me the children of this estate kept all the Leeteg velvets.

I can read the signature now! I love it!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and now I have a velvet painting from the Zombie Hut and by Burks Tyree)!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-06-01 16:44 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 4:44 pm   Permalink

Very nice Psycho, very nice indeed. I don't suppose you took a picture of the 'European looking' one by any chance? Would love to see it too...

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-01 4:53 pm   Permalink

cheeky half,

No, unfortunatley I did not, the painting was actually on the wall behind the "counter" of items being sold by the estate people. They told me the painting was done by a Sacramento artist and I could not read the signature on this one either. I asked them to call me if it didn't sell.

The painting itself looked to be of a topless girl of either Spanish or South American heritage. She wore a sash around her hips and a bandana or sash on her head. It was very well done and if the other one wasn't there I might have bought it, although they were asking $200.00 for it.

If they contact me I will let you know.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and days like these make it easy)!

[ This Message was edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-06-01 16:54 ]

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senoritahollywood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-02 5:31 pm   Permalink

FANTASTIC FIND !!!! Congrats !
- Senorita Hollywood ( I went to sales today and all I got was a Vintage Velveeta box)

View Profile of senoritahollywood Send a personal message to senoritahollywood  Goto the website of senoritahollywood     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 12:46 am   Permalink

Wow! Nice piece! Considering the two Tyree velvets currently on Ebay are being sold for $1000 & $2000 respectively, I'd say you got a good deal!

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation